Millie Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Millie Cruwear

Post by MacLaren »

Just scored one lnib- or extremely close to it.
At any rate, very excited about it. And would love it if the Spydie crew could lemme know what Im in for.
I understand its composition to be close to that of 3V.
I also understand that when sharpened, it reminds folks of Super Blue- takes a really keen edge sooner than later per say :)
Looking forward to comments....thanx all!

Spyder Nation #031
3rdGenRigger

Re: Millie Cruwear

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I find it to be very easy to sharpen, but not quite on par with SB in that respect. It is a lot more corrosion resistant though, but it will develop surface spots if you sweat a lot and leave it in your pants pocket, and I also find it to be quite damage resistant and very forgiving in use depending on what I'm cutting. If I accidentally glance it off a staple or a rock or some concrete etc. I find it to be a lot more forgiving than most of my other knives with similar geometry. I don't want to make a comparison to 3V because my only experience with it is my Schempp Tuff and the blade shape and geometry is just too different IMO for me to be able to make a meaningful comparison.

What do you mainly intend to do with the knife regarding use? I use mine at work mostly so I have basically zero input regarding food prep or related patina etc. but I can say that on a construction site it's a great knife (Overall my most carried). I carry my 204P PM2 quite a lot as well, and at work I slightly prefer the Millie (This can somewhat depend on whether I wear my Carhartt pants or coveralls). Mostly I prefer the steel (Though 204P is my favourite stainless to date (Not counting H1, but I prefer that as a secondary carry in serrated hawkbill configuration)), but I also find the Millie lock easier to operate and the handle size better when wearing gloves.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

And a gratuitous picture, just because. Any picture of a CruWear Millie is a good picture (Almost any picture at any rate lol).

[url=http://s867.photobucket.com/user/Canyon ... c.jpg.html][img]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab23 ... 672cfc.jpg[/img][/url]
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
elena86

Post by elena86 »

CPM Cruwear is my favorite steel.It has a very good balance between ease of sharpening, edge stability, toughness and corrosion resistence.Great working steel on a legendary spydie folder that's what you have in your hands.It's a keeper.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Branden and elena86.
As for your question Branden, Im not really sure yet, as to what I will using it for.....more than likely just general pocket knife duty.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

MacLaren wrote:Just scored one lnib- or extremely close to it.
At any rate, very excited about it. And would love it if the Spydie crew could lemme know what Im in for.
I also understand that when sharpened, it reminds folks of Super Blue- takes a really keen edge sooner than later per say :)
Congratulations on your Cruwear Millie, good for you MacLaren!!

I especially thank you for posting this thread because I have a Cruwear Millie myself but have not put it to work as yet. I got it because of all the positive comments I have read about it here on the Forum so I am looking forward to reading and learning as more comments come in. So far it appears I am missing something by not using it, especially since I prefer a non-stainless steel for my working knives.

So thanks again and I hope this topic ends up 6 pages long! ;)

Dave
ChuckDiesel

Post by ChuckDiesel »

One of my favorites.

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

The only Military I own at the moment... and honestly the only one I really need.

Going back to Caly.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

MacLaren wrote:Just scored one lnib- or extremely close to it.

Spyder Nation #031
Love mine :spyder: :cool:

--- Marius
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Your welcome El Gato!!
And everyone else who posted. I really appreciate all the feedback!
So looking forward to this Millie...
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the club Mac, I can't believe you didn't have one until now :)

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Very nice!!! I saw two on eBay this month....but passed because I have the S110V and the 52100 on order. Had I not, I would have grabbed one for sure. Congrats!!!
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ChuckDiesel,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Conga-rats Paul, the Cruwear was one of the first of many Millies I've picked up, I don't know what it is about the tan/earth color they use for covers but its one of my favorites, kinda like the M2 cruwear. I'm sure you will love yours ;) :)

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
palonej

Post by palonej »

Congrats Mac!!! You are going to wonder why you didn't have one a long time ago!! Had mine for a few months now and love it!!
I stopped using it for work, HVAC, because the scales got FILTHY IN 30 seconds.......called Allen Putman and he sent me a pair of scales......it was in my pocket today while installing a 75 gal water heater. The box for that beast is THICK!!!
I cut the whole thing down with that gorgeous Millie. Just went to touch her up.....and there is no need! Phone book paper push cuts no prob!!
Excellent knife......just excellent!
I now have 3 Millie's and can't wait for the sprints to drop!!
Here are mine.....Cruwear on the left.
Enjoy Mac!!!
Joe
Attachments
image.jpg
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

My cruwear military is hands down my most favorite knife. Carry it every day. Sharpens up nice and easy, holds that edge for a while and I find the corrosion resistance pretty high surprisingly. I have it on me while fishing (saltwater), tried forcing a patina by leaving it overnight in mustard, citrus juice, Apple cider vinegar and no patina or rust what so ever. I have a couple tiny specs in the jimping but that's it. I absolutely love this steel.
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

From a practical (well....*my*) standpoint, I'm finding little difference in Cruwear, S30V, Super Blue and 204P.....once a nice, even toothy edge is applied. I do adore Cruwear, though.

This one took the end of two fingers off, yesterday, but I still like her.

Matt
ChuckDiesel

Post by ChuckDiesel »

ChuckDiesel wrote:One of my favorites.

Liked it so much, I wound up with two. Got one new, wanted to take it to work (LE) but didn't want to mess it up. So I got a well used one for that. Of course, now the well used one is my favorite. Go figure.

The CruWear Millie is an awesome knife. Can't wait to see the 52100. :D

sal wrote:Hi ChuckDiesel,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank ya, sir.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is the one that pushed me to preorder the 52100, it came and went before I even realized it was out, and at the time I had sold off my previous 2 Militaries in preparation to buy one in Cruwear. I'm sort of lazy when it comes to trying to find them after they've sold out lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Had a whole herd of 'em at one point. Still one of my favourite knives.

Matt