Help! Mantra 2 or Positron decision

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tyrdle

Help! Mantra 2 or Positron decision

Post by Tyrdle »

I've been saving for a while now and I have almost enough for either a Mantra 2 or a Positron. I really like both but I haven't found a picture with both in it yet. Can I get some of those photographers out there to take some pics that show the differences?
Thanx, Tyrdle
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
hoimin

Re: Help! Mantra 2 or Positron decision

Post by hoimin »

abbazaba wrote: Image
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

^^^ :D
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Tyrdle wrote:I've been saving for a while now and I have almost enough for either a Mantra 2 or a Positron. I really like both but I haven't found a picture with both in it yet. Can I get some of those photographers out there to take some pics that show the differences?
Thanx, Tyrdle
Tyrdle, was there anything in particular you prefer in a slim edc flipper?
It's harder to see in abbazaba's photo, but the Positron is wider scale-to-scale, but has nicely rounded CF to fill the hand. At this size range and usage though, hand-filling is not really the highest priority.

There's lots to like about both models.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

hoimin wrote:
Tyrdle wrote:I've been saving for a while now and I have almost enough for either a Mantra 2 or a Positron. I really like both but I haven't found a picture with both in it yet. Can I get some of those photographers out there to take some pics that show the differences?
Thanx, Tyrdle
It's harder to see in abbazaba's photo, but the Positron is wider scale-to-scale, but has nicely rounded CF to fill the hand. At this size range and usage though, hand-filling is not really the highest priority.

Here's the "lost" photo... You can kinda see the width difference (2nd and 3rd from the right, same as above). The knives are very different in hand. I really wanted to like the Positron, but the ergos weren't for me. Mantra2 gets lots of carry, Positron found a new home.

Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

abbazaba wrote:
hoimin wrote:
Thanx, Tyrdle

Here's the "lost" photo... You can kinda see the width difference (2nd and 3rd from the right, same as above). The knives are very different in hand. I really wanted to like the Positron, but the ergos weren't for me. Mantra2 gets lots of carry, Positron found a new home.

There's so much great stuff about both it seems impossible to know.
First I really wanted the Mantra because of the blade shape and the titanium. I liked how different it was but I was afraid it was too small or the blade was too short vertically or something. (my hands are small but i'm afraid of tiny knives :D ) I already knew I liked the Positron but I previously never realized it was the same cost. I thought it would be more money and I got excited seeing it at $167. I don't mind a thin handle but I am a fan of the CF too. I also like the Positron's finish, it seems very high quality. I just love both so much i'm afraid i'll have to get both!
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Hold on, what about the flipping action? Another reason I like both is that they are both supposedly excellent flippers. Abbazabba what did you think about both's flipping performance?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

After spending some time with the Mantra, I think it's the best Spyderco flipper I've ever owned. However it does take a little more attention to deploy fully than the Positron did. Possibly detent strength, possibly flipper position, maybe both.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have both the Mantra 2 and Positron. Much prefer the Mantra. Comfortable in the hand, easy to clean, and easy to access the RIL frame lock. IMO the Positron requires sanding of sharp edges to make it comfortable. Also the liner lock on the Positron is more difficult to access. Just my 2 cents.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I prefer the Mantra 2 for a few reasons:
  • Slimmer in pocket
  • Slightly longer overall, so fits my hand better (Positron didn't leave quite enough room for my pinky)
  • Mantra 2 is slightly heavier (could also be a con if you like lightweight knives, but for me the Positron is actually too light)
  • I find the lock release much easier to operate on the Mantra 2
  • M4 blade steel (since I already have tons of S30v in my rotation)
Of course, this is not to say I don't like the Positron. The fit and finish on the carbon fiber scales is gorgeous and it has a very nice blade shape. I just prefer the ergos and feel of the Mantra.

Ultimately, the only way to know is to handle them if possible since it's all very subjective...
swigert

Post by swigert »

I have both. Mantra 2 all the way. The positron ergos are off for me.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Though I've heard great things about the Mantra's functionality, I think I'm liking the positron's looks. Something makes the Mantra's blade look too small for the handle. I also like the positron's lightness compared to the Mantra and I think I am currently leaning in favor of the Positron.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd probably have to go with the Mantra 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I had this same decision to make (but before I knew when the Mantra 1/2 would come out).

Mantra 2:
+: CPM-M4 edge retention; super slim; designed by Eric, inspired by Sal; great dimensions for EDC
-: narrow blade height with FFG might mean wider edge geometry; another Ti-framelock flipper;

Positron:
+: sculpted CF scales; liner-lock flipper simplifies flipping grip; great dimensions for EDC; easy to dress up with; Southard design; super light
-: sharp rump; no liner-lock relief cut; wide handle, relative to blade thickness; S30v is a bit vanilla (we're spoiled)

When it came down to my intended usage and preferences, I chose the Positron (I didn't want a framelock). The Positron's perceived flaws did not bother me, and the ergos ended up fitting my hand great.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Tyrdle wrote:Though I've heard great things about the Mantra's functionality, I think I'm liking the positron's looks. Something makes the Mantra's blade look too small for the handle. I also like the positron's lightness compared to the Mantra and I think I am currently leaning in favor of the Positron.
If light weight is a big plus for you, then no doubt I'd go with the Positron. It is shockingly light when you first pick it up and I imagine that combined with the wire clip and contoured handle, it would carry very well for occasions where you're wearing lighter pants than jeans.

Also, if your hands aren't on the larger end of the spectrum, the ergos might be just fine. My only real issue with it was I wished the handle was like half an inch longer.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

+1 on the Mantra 2 ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Yes, I think I am going with the Positron. I love Southard's blade shapes but never been a huge fan of his handles. I think the Positron is what finally got it right. The CF is great and I'm sure most of you know what I mean about the handles. I would be all over the Southard if it was a liner lock with two same-thickness scales. Brad Southard sure knows how to make EDC blades! Thanks for the comparisons guys you have led me to my decision!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I feel like the only guy on Earth who doesn't like that diagonal plunge line on the Positron. It just bothers me somewhere deeeep down inside. Once I saw that the handle is almost solid CF, that really got my attention and I keep coming back around to it, but that plunge line...

Plus, it's kinda petty but I wish they had stuck with 204P like the first Southard. Like hoimin said, we're a spoiled bunch and I certainly have become spoiled with steel options, and I would much rather have something in M4 (which I don't currently have any of) than another S30V blade to add to the pile of them I already have.

So, for me, that makes the standout win for the Positron being those beautiful handle scales. By comparison, the Mantra (both of them) do look pretty plain. But, I also happen to have a deep love for all things titanium, and I love the simplicity of a Ti frame lock. I can also see in my head what a Mantra 1/2 would look like with a nice blueish patina and a heat anodized handle, and then I get all warm and fuzzy inside and giggle a little bit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Tyrdle wrote:Yes, I think I am going with the Positron. I love Southard's blade shapes but never been a huge fan of his handles. I think the Positron is what finally got it right. The CF is great and I'm sure most of you know what I mean about the handles. I would be all over the Southard if it was a liner lock with two same-thickness scales. Brad Southard sure knows how to make EDC blades! Thanks for the comparisons guys you have led me to my decision!
Awesome! I hope you like it as much as I do mine. The original Southard handle scale asymmetry is also what put me off from picking one up. Nested liners in sculpted CF is quite a treat to behold and hold. I get why people think it is pudgey when compared to the blade thickness, but in hand, it is comfortable for me in a variety of grips. It took me one day to get used to the painful unlocking though.
Evil D wrote:Plus, it's kinda petty but I wish they had stuck with 204P like the first Southard. Like hoimin said, we're a spoiled bunch and I certainly have become spoiled with steel options, and I would much rather have something in M4 (which I don't currently have any of) than another S30V blade to add to the pile of them I already have.
This bothered a lot of people when it was first announced. I'm guessing they did toy with running CTS-204P in the same way other collaborators have 'pet' steels (Slysz XHP, Bradley M4, Wilson S90V), but it'd honestly be overkill for a small dressy EDC slicer; it would've also jacked the cost up. S35V would've been a nice alternative, for the slightly easier sharpening, but I have no actual complaints about S30V.