Help! Mantra 2 or Positron decision

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Help! Mantra 2 or Positron decision

Post by Evil D »

hoimin wrote: This bothered a lot of people when it was first announced. I'm guessing they did toy with running CTS-204P in the same way other collaborators have 'pet' steels (Slysz XHP, Bradley M4, Wilson S90V), but it'd honestly be overkill for a small dressy EDC slicer; it would've also jacked the cost up. S35V would've been a nice alternative, for the slightly easier sharpening, but I have no actual complaints about S30V.

Well, I wouldn't be bothered at all if the Positron came in M4 too :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I sold my Positron and I'm keeping the Mantra 2. The Positron is a lovely knife but the ergonomics were completely off for me and I wasn't a fan of the lock disengagement. It was kind of chunky in the pocket as well. For me the Mantra 2 gets all that stuff right. I was actually a bit surprised at how much I like the Mantra 2.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I had the Positron but sold it. Couldn't come to terms with the big-*** handle vs the slim blade. That and sharp-ish rear corner, weak flipping action compared to Domino and Southard (not to mention ZT4050, a knife that's pretty close to the Positron in POU)
Also couldn't get my head around the back spacer protruding and looking unfinished. All in all i had too many issues with it so i let it go.
I do plan to buy a Mantra though. I actually think it looks better, in its simplicity.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

carrying my positron today to put it to the test. have a mantra 1 which I carry constantly, but haven't quite put my head around why the positron gets neglected, as mine (modded to round off the harsh edges) basically collects dust.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

I found the Positron handle too small for my big hands - the Mantra handle is just perfect! Just goes to show how a little can go a long way.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I love my Positron. I don't have a Mantra 2 yet to know what I'm missing I guess. I will have to remedy that and compare for myself. :)
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I got my Mantra 2 today. All I can say is that if I love my Positron, then I am head over heels for my Mantra 2! It does have a little bit of lock stick though. Hopefully that will work itself out.