An alternative combination edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eee

An alternative combination edge

Post by Eee »

I've said for a while that I think it might work better to have a combination edge the other way around - with a short section of plain edge by the handle. I decided talk was cheap, so I'd give it a go. I'll report back on how well they work, but the early signs are good :D

Evil D

Re: An alternative combination edge

Post by Evil D »

That's how I prefer to have a combo edge if I'm going to go with a combo, that way I can still whittle and such at the base of the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

I've thought the same way. Serrations at the tip for slashing and plain edge for other stuff. But I wouldn't grind do my own knife to see if I'm right.
Spydies are sharp enough to cut the fabric of Space and Time

:spyder:
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

Clever !
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Interestingly enough, Victorinox do their serrated Spirit blade this way. Many people don't get it, but I think it's a great way to do a combo edge. In a perfect world I would also have 1/2 inch or so of plain edge on the tip for fine detailed cuts.

~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I think these are good ideas everyone but at the same time, and I may be wrong on this, and I would gladly accept correction, but, could one reason why Spyderco has the combo-edge/part-serrated serrations at the base of the blade, because it enables stronger cuts, or is it arbitrary? I don't think its arbitrary? Could we get some insight from Sal or someone on that? I think all patterns you mentioned are good, as well as the way they are now. I would like one of each :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I think these are good ideas everyone but at the same time, and I may be wrong on this, and I would gladly accept correction, but, could one reason why Spyderco has the combo-edge/part-serrated serrations at the base of the blade, because it enables stronger cuts, or is it arbitrary? I don't think its arbitrary? Could we get some insight from Sal or someone on that? I think all patterns you mentioned are good, as well as the way they are now. I would like one of each :)
There's pros and cons for doing it both ways, depending on which edge type you prioritize. What if those more powerful cuts needed to be clean cuts through hard wood? It would be a lot easier to do with the plain edge portion at the base of the blade than at the tip.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

IN some ways I like your concept of putting the Serrated edge toward the end of the blade rather than on the heel>> however for my daily work with a blade I do so much with the tip part of my blade and I find that a PE tip has many more advantages. It is a very interesting concept and I'm sure it would have advantages with certain types of cutting jobs and even in certain vocational applications.

I would think that a reversed combo edge would be great in the fishing industry for sure. Moreover I tend to like my original 440V, SE Native model because it has about 3/4 of an inch of plain edge on the end which I find extremely handy. But I'm sure having the combo edge in reverse would truly have it's advantages in a lot of cutting jobs.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I think in the sense that both PE and SE blades get the entire length of the blade used for something, there probably isn't a right or wrong choice of which part to serrate for a CE blade.

A tiny bit of plain edge at the tip is probably always a good idea though. I like an 80% serrated with the tip plain.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

As one of the few fans of CE edges on here I would give one a try but have been satisfied with the configuration currently used. I prefer a small section of PE at the tip for fine work.

Keep us updated on how it works out for you.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I ran across this pic I made the last time we had a discussion like this. I'm gonna make this happen someday.

To be clear, this is Not a production prototype. That was just on the pic I edited way back when I made this pic
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:I think in the sense that both PE and SE blades get the entire length of the blade used for something, there probably isn't a right or wrong choice of which part to serrate for a CE blade.

A tiny bit of plain edge at the tip is probably always a good idea though. I like an 80% serrated with the tip plain.
And Zhyla I'm on the same page you're on>> because again my most used workhorse folder is my 440V SE Native which has a plain edged tip less than an inch long. I've also suggested a Hawkbill with a combo edge on several occasions>> and I believe that a reverse combo edge would work well in that scenerio. It just depends on what you're using your blade for>> I'm sure it's a great type of combo edge for a lot of people's needs.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

zhyla wrote:I think in the sense that both PE and SE blades get the entire length of the blade used for something, there probably isn't a right or wrong choice of which part to serrate for a CE blade.

This is me. Whether we call that a combo edge or a fully serrated with an extra bit of pe at the tip, this is the pattern that I find most useful.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

This edge is nice, I've also got that on my Victorinox multitools.
My personal choice of CE would be about 30% PE at the tip and the rest SE, always prefer the SE's with some PE at the tip.
(and that on a Military! :D )
I like to have some PE but the regular CE's usually don't have any SE 'belly' in the blade.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

That is pretty neat. I just like seeing users personalizing their own tools to fit their needs.

I guess I spoil myself a little bit, by usually carrying an alternative PE whenever I also carry SE... but I do dig the 30/70 CE.

This reverse Combo might actually work well on the Rescue type Sheepsfoot blades since they don't have much of a point anyway, so running SE almost to the tip is more viable if you wanted PE section closer to the inside.
Going back to Caly.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

It works very well