Jaylo's Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report- Notes and random musings

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Jaylo's Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report- Notes and random musings

Post by elena86 »

Tell us more about the Gauntlet please
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

demoncase wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:Not one but two new Bradleys?!

Yup- a folder and a fixed blade.
And from your description they are already known customs: Tac-1 flipper and Packer (baby Bowie).

Did they go with the big flipper (~4" blade) or the EDC size (like Surfingringo's) on the flipper?
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Ideas that stand out to me:
1. Manix XL ('nuff said).
2. New Vallotton (The Vallotton is the last knife that I reviewed since 2012 and it's still a favourite).
3. Leafblade Jumpmaster (Given that it's probably full SE that sounds like a seriously scary blade, and very practical too).
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

elena86 wrote:Tell us more about the Gauntlet please
This is a real sharpening revolution- The stones are 'cats eye' shaped in section, much wider AND longer than the triangle stones of the Sharpmaker- with a 'star shaped' set of holes for a variety of angles (or so it appeared)

It's hard to describe, but you put your hand into the 'guard' of the sharpener, making for a totally safe approach as you swipe downwards....Like a gauntlet!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

hoimin wrote:
demoncase wrote:

And from your description they are already known customs: Tac-1 flipper and Packer (baby Bowie).

Did they go with the big flipper (~4" blade) or the EDC size (like Surfingringo's) on the flipper?
I think- and it's hazy because of where this was in the runnings- it was below 4" in blade size...
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

hoimin

Post by hoimin »

demoncase wrote:
hoimin wrote:
demoncase wrote:

I think- and it's hazy because of where this was in the runnings- it was below 4" in blade size...
Thanks demoncase. I am happy to hear that, but my wallet just started weeping.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I forgot to ask about the mini K2. Did it look exactly the same as the original just smaller? Would you say that it is about the same size as the Slysz Bowie, or the Techno?

Thanks!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I forgot to ask about the mini K2. Did it look exactly the same as the original just smaller? Would you say that it is about the same size as the Slysz Bowie, or the Techno?

Thanks!
It had the washered bronze(?) washers around the grip screws you see on Farid's own knives, which Eric suggested probably wouldn't make it to production.

Sizewize- I've not handled the Slyz bowie but it looked to be about that size...Definitely bigger than a Techno.

There was some talk about this may end up being the 'medium' (as Farid called it the K2-M) and there might be a smaller (K2-S) on the cards in the future. Can't recall if that was 'as well as' or 'instead of'- and no word one the as-and-when of this.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

hoimin wrote:
demoncase wrote:
hoimin wrote:
demoncase wrote:

Thanks demoncase. I am happy to hear that, but my wallet just started weeping.
I seem to recall hearing that it was going to be the smaller version like mine.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

demoncase wrote:
This is a real sharpening revolution- The stones are 'cats eye' shaped in section, much wider AND longer than the triangle stones of the Sharpmaker- with a 'star shaped' set of holes for a variety of angles (or so it appeared)

It's hard to describe, but you put your hand into the 'guard' of the sharpener, making for a totally safe approach as you swipe downwards....Like a gauntlet!
Is it designed for sharpening spyderedges also ? :eek:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

elena86 wrote:
demoncase wrote:

Is it designed for sharpening spyderedges also ? :eek:
Seemed to be!

Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Wow what a list. I think the knife that stuck in my head most is the salt ATR with ti scales. That's sure to be a homerun, along with most of the others listed. Thanks for the effort in compiling that list. Also, now on the hunt for a szabohawk pin lol
Edit: $10 for the pin on a popular auction site
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

demoncase wrote:

I think I remember Sal saying that this was inspired by his original Galley-Vee product back in the 1990s. This was a fixed-bench crock stick sharpener with white cats eye stones. He sold them primarily to restaurants and other frequent sharpeners - but several of his customers (including me and JD Spydo) really liked the profile and size of the stones. Unfortunately, I moved a few years ago and forgot to unmount my Galley-Vee from the work bench in the shed. Argh.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to this product! Thanks for updating it and bringing it back, Sal!

TedP
elena86

Post by elena86 »

demoncase wrote:Ahoy there folks:

..............................................................................................................
PM3!- Yes, awesome and will be worth the wait: Also, there's likely to be a Lwt version in FRN!
Any idea how long we'll have to wait :eek: ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gaj999 wrote:
Evil D wrote:. Bummed about the D'Alarra having flat handles, but still interested in this one. I got myself one of the originals and fell in love with that voluptuous handle.
Me too. I wish they'd just reuse the molds and upgrade the blade. I'll take voluptuous(nice word!) FRN over flat G10 any day of the week.

Gordon

Well, perhaps there's some hope. I was just browsing the Spyderwiki and saw this...
sal wrote:The first mold was made as the World Trade Center project. Then we changed the mold to prevent any more than the planned amnount for the project and created the mold that you have. Then we changed the mold a 2nd time to create the version with the oval. Then we changed the mold to make the handle thinner. Now we're making a run with the pattern modified (narower) and we'll use G-10 to make a slab version to test the changes, then we'll change the mold again to create the next version.
So, like many new knives that come out (such as the Stretch 2) they do the first runs in G10 to allow for tweaks in the design before they commit to a FRN mold. Hopefully this means the final production will be a similarly sculpted/contoured handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Awesome reports and news Demoncase ! Thanks !

- Lil'Native :eek: :cool: I was not thinking something like that could happen ! Great news !
When I discover it I wanted to have a Dragongly built like the Native. :D
How you compare the Lil'Native to the Native and Dragonfly ? More informations please ! :D
And it look like this Lil'Native will have lots of option ! Great ! :thumbup:

- The PM3 in G10 oki, it was previous, but not in FRN, a future winner :eek: :cool:

-I would have lot to see the 3 colors dyed Dragonfly and other :spyder:

That the 3 points on which I was more impressed !
So sad to finally not have been able to be at that meeting...
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Evil D wrote: Well, perhaps there's some hope...
Excellent find. My wallet is complaining already ... Thanks.

Gordon
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wow.
Going back to Caly.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Nasgul wrote:Awesome reports and news Demoncase ! Thanks !

- Lil'Native :eek: :cool: I was not thinking something like that could happen ! Great news !
When I discover it I wanted to have a Dragongly built like the Native. :D
How you compare the Lil'Native to the Native and Dragonfly ? More informations please ! :D
And it look like this Lil'Native will have lots of option ! Great ! :thumbup:

- The PM3 in G10 oki, it was previous, but not in FRN, a future winner :eek: :cool:

-I would have lot to see the 3 colors dyed Dragonfly and other :spyder:

That the 3 points on which I was more impressed !
So sad to finally not have been able to be at that meeting...
Lil Native came in three flavours:
The lockback appeared to have dual liners like a shrink-i-dinked current Native 5.
The Slippie may have had nested liners or none (can't recall)
The comp lock had nested liners (I think)
Build reminded me of the high end G10 Dragonfly- but a good deal more ergonomic for my sausage fingers :D

I hope Wouter's allowed to show the Zome dyed models- they were a real new look.

We didn't see the FRN PM3 but it was discussed.

sal

Post by sal »

There is a downside to this info. 1/3 - 1/2 of the knives shown will not be made and may never be seen again.

sal