Jaylo's Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report- Notes and random musings

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Jaylo's Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report- Notes and random musings

Post by demoncase »

Ahoy there folks:

So- I attempted to note every single thing that Eric showed to us....All in all that was 75 products shown, discussed and passed around at what can only be described as a break-neck pace.

Caveats and apologies in advance:
-If I've got the name wrong or misspelled then that's my own fault and sorry....I'll post the raw notes too, so y'all can marvel at the fact I'm supposed to be a literate hoomin wotsit :D
I'll list 'em in the order they passed through my hands.
I'm trying to recall particular features after too little sleep, too much coffee, a 4am start and a flight back to the UK.

General Thoughts:
-No Sal this year as he's sworn off long-distance flying at the moment (Can't say I blame him- I'm half his age and it knocks me sideways every time)
-Eric did a perfect job as host and presenter on his own.
-It was great having the big screen to see the knives on the table one at a time- especially with the smaller offerings, we got a really good picture of the stuff coming before it arrived in hand.
-The raffle was another great touch and good fun- And I was one digit away from winning! C'est la vie!..That S110v cut-out pattern would have had pride of place on my bookcase
-Good fun, great folks and a wonderful family spirit again....Thanks to Juurphaas, Eric and the whole crew for a lovely event (and apologies for not saying 'bye as you guys were all busy eating and we had 'hit the wall' and needed bed!)

What we saw
New ATR- G10 overlay with holes (Yay!) and a removable Cobra hood- S30V....A winner in my book
Mamba- As per this year's catalogue....She's a big 'un, but worth the money.
Cara Cara 2- Ti handled Byrd, Fit and finish were top notch.
Gordo- P.Carrey 'stubby' flipper in a Ti locker (can't recall the mech- but in a Techno style)
Unnamed P.Carrey flat version of the Ion in a flipper- Nice I thought

New D'alarra- with a ceramic ball and flat G10- narrower, shallower- Another winner.
Gum- A Dogtag stretched to about the size of a stick of Gum- Ti and steel
Dox? Friction folder- Modified wharnie blade, nice short spine- felt usable
HAP40 Dragonfly- as good as always, if not better for the steel afis ;)
Zome (?) dyed FRN Delicas and Enduras- These were something folks have been crying for: dyed 2-3 coloured handled Delicas, in Van-Gogh-esque splotch patterns....More to come on this, but will really stand out in the market I think. The Pink-Red-Purple splotched Dragonfly looked amazing

Southard comp locked, BOLSTERED carbon fibre clipper with a recurve blade- ALL OF MY YES!
G.Stainthrop folder in RWL34. Can't bring it to mind
Jerry Brauer knife....>Wrote nothing else so....er....404-File-Not-Found!
"Euro Dagger"- Taichung, Ed Schemp, dagger shaped folder with scallops and polished G10- ALL FOR ME :D
Flipping Manix XL- Slim Ti handle, flipper, external stop pin. What's not to like?

Chinese value folder- concept model. Again, a blank space in my brain on tthis one
Rhino- M.Rhienhold- Little comp locker in G10 and BD1
Joule- A reborn Leafstorm in style- I loved this.
100 Pacer- Deep and big blade on this with triangle patterned two-tone G10.
Birch flipper of some variety- a stubby flipper in a dark stonewash

Smaller K2! (Though this may well be the 'medium', and an even smaller one was mooted)
Introvert- it's in the catalogue, so yeah....
HAP40 Ladybug....and that's now on my wishlist
Lil' Lum Chinese Folder- Tiny little liner locker: I need this in my life
Lil' Native- This is cast-iron winner: 3 different variants of a smaller Native, with slightly differing builds- One slippie (YES!), One Comp locker and one normal back lock!

Lil Nilakka- Another winner- Imagine a domino (the game counter not the knife!) but with a tiny little microbevel Puuko about the length of my little finger
A newer Valloton subhilt with more finger grooving and better ergos- Liked, but not loved
Jonathan McNeese(?) tiny Ti folder integral locker- Gemlike, I'll have one if they make it
New Lil' Temp- Production sample!- Definately on the must have list...Also, mention of an FRN Lightwiehgt version to go with the G10!

Magnitude- Carey flipper- I wrote 'mini-Rubicon' and that's about it
Lwt Manix 2 with a pair of LED flashlights in the handle.....Not for me, thanks
Manix 2 with concept Blue Jeans G10....Very nice
Arc(?) Byrd- delica sized?
40th Year Native- Worth every penny this- Beautiful
Navigator style slipjoint! Oh yes!

Nirvana- again- in the catalogue- beautiful
Ourobourus- Really warmed to this- Junior-looking Comp locker but fit my hand like it was made for me- I'll be having one. Will make a great herb-chopper
"No Name" slimmer version of the above.
Pattada- a winner, lively in the hand- added to the wish list
PITS with weird internal lock that needed you to stick your finger inside the scales from the side....More to come on that

Robin Byrd 2.5" in Ti- Nice enough
PM3!- Yes, awesome and will be worth the wait: Also, there's likely to be a Lwt version in FRN!
Barlow style Spydie in Ti and Wood- Very classy
New 'Cost-conscious' variant of the Rubicon with flat scales.
Sage 5- Comp locker- Yes- added to the wishlist

ATR-ish Salt in LC200N with intergral comp locker on Ti drilled frame
Another Salt on a similar build but with 'speed-block' style yellow/black two-tone G10...
Native XL- comp locker- lovely sculpted handles.
H1 Snap-It- s'in the catalogue, just like the one in my collection and another must-have.
Szabo flipper in a similar style to the Lightning Strike, but a Ti Handle- Not a fan, I thought this had been hit with the ugly stick, shot from the ugly cannon into the ugly circus net then run over with the ugly ambulance on the way to the ugly clinic. ;)

Bradley "Tac 1 S" M4 with 'orange peel' Ti handle- Another must have!
2 Multi-bladed knives- Very cool, very Victorinox- build reminiscent of the Dyad
Low Cost folder- A Liner locked Delica but with an original straight-backed blade shape- This was like shaking hands with an old friend who's had a facelift- and very welcome: I want this!
Low Cost folder- A Liner locked Endura- as above

The Ray Mears Folder- superb! Ergos are great too.
Folding Spyderchef- another rust free build...Upswept bladeshape in LC200, Ti integral. Loved it.
Squarehead Lwt with an FRN 'back-scale'....Really liked this
Finch- Ladybug sized Byrd....This was a gem
Large Persian from Ed Schemp with reddish micarta- Big ol' beast

ARK with a new semi-SERPA-esque blade retention on the sheath
Bradley Packer- Fixed
Sprint Rock Salt- Big and orange!
Jumpmaster2!- This is a must have for me- a big, leaf shaped H1 full serrated
Carey "Fighter"?- Big, weighty, thick beasty
"Night stick?" boot daggery thingy!
Throwing knives!?...Yeah....No.
Ackerman Sliver? Slither?- in CPM20C
Gauntlet sharpener- Cool looking, clever.
Duckfoot and goldenstone angle stand
Hatchet-hawk
New Kitchen knife- In the catalogue- this is seriously well thought out
Fixed CF handle Puuko?
Lime Cutter....Sheepsfoot.

Phew....Still with me?....Awesome!

Here's the goodie bag for this year: the catalogue and a calendar (yay!), a Szabohawk pin (double yay!) and a 'hole from the 40th Year Native (triple and quadruple yay!) plus a Crow 2 on top (So many yays!)....This all has pride of place on the collection shelf.....

Here's my raw notes for you to laugh due to my barely literate runes :)

Again- kind thanks from myself and Mrs Lopez (who spent Sunday indulging her artistic streak in the museums)...With God willing and a fair wind, I hope to see you all again next year!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Mushroom

Re: Jaylo's Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report- Notes and random musings

Post by Mushroom »

Great write up Demon, Thanks for taking the time to do it! From the sounds of it, there are some seriously awesome models to come in the future! Cant wait to hear more about the new LWT Squarehead and the new Hatchet!

Also, that little Szabohawk pin is SOO COOL!! :D
-Nick :bug-red
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

Nice write up thank you, hope you enjoyed you're time there.

How many (legal) carry knives have us UK folk got to look forward too?
Excitedly reading you're post I think I could make out 3 and maybe a 4th.
Gum- possibly!?
Dox-friction folder( can't wait too hear more about this, I have a real soft spot for friction folders)
Navigator
Native jnr slipie.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the above.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The ramblings of a mad man! I like it ;) How did your head not explode from the onslaught of awesome that you witnessed?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Thanks for the early heads up!

Questions:
Is this the Rubicon 2 seen at Shot Show?
Southard comp locked, BOLSTERED carbon fibre clipper with a recurve blade- ALL OF MY YES!
This one?!?!?!?! https://www.instagram.com/p/BAqrpQoB6s_ ... hardknives
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Great info, thank you!! I would love to hear some more info on the Salts from anyone who remembers them well.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

The PM3... smaller version of Para Military 2 in g10 and frn...wow!!
Your killin me...when when!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

A Flipping Manix XL!

THANK YOU Eric!!!!!!!!!!

...and the New Vallotton with finger grooves......oh my....
Im gettin a littlr dizzy.....this is wonderful news...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thanks for doing this!! Lil' Native w/comp lock has my attention. XL Native w/comp lock does too for that matter. Looking forward to the PM3 & Sage 5 as well.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Fantastic write up, short and to the point just how I like it, really sounds like some interesting pieces in the works. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow...I don't know where to begin...

1. This flipper Manix 2 XL, what lock did it have???

2. Bummed about the D'Alarra having flat handles, but still interested in this one. I got myself one of the originals and fell in love with that voluptuous handle.

3. Manix 2 Blue Jeans G10....hmmmm That can mean a lot of things. A knife with denim colored G10 was something I used to beg for on this forum.

4. You had me on the new Southard until you said recurve :(

5. Lil Nilakka sounds interesting. What steel? Kinda gives me hope that there's still interest in this knife design, I'd love to see a carbon steel sprint.

6. Still interested in the Native XL (have been for like 10 years now).

7. No love for the Szabo flipper huh? Are you saying it climbed the ugly tree and then fell down and hit every branch on the way? ;)

8. Still interested in the Spyderchef...curious how this one looks.

Thanks for the great notes man! Looks like you had your hands full getting it all written down. I don't write that fast, and if I tried nobody could have read it when I was done (including me).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ATRish Salt?

Barlow?

Multi blade Spydies?

Large Persian with red micarta!

GAUNTLET!!!

I sort of spurred the Lil' K2 into action so that is super exciting for me! ;)

The Bradley Packer should be awesome!

I would love to see the hatchet. I hope there are pics and I hope it is more traditional. Awesome!

These are all exciting to me but I have one complaint...

Too many flippers. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wow! what a list.

Tell me more about the Barlow looking knife.

Also, the Native XL was a comp lock and not a back lock?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:Wow...I don't know where to begin...

1. This flipper Manix 2 XL, what lock did it have???
Integral liner

3. Manix 2 Blue Jeans G10....hmmmm That can mean a lot of things. A knife with denim colored G10 was something I used to beg for on this forum.
You have got your wish in the prototype we saw- 2 different materials up for discussion though: one glossy, the other matt

5. Lil Nilakka sounds interesting. What steel? Kinda gives me hope that there's still interest in this knife design, I'd love to see a carbon steel sprint.
Dunno- can't remember....There was a LOT of S30V and I'd put money on that

7. No love for the Szabo flipper huh? Are you saying it climbed the ugly tree and then fell down and hit every branch on the way? ;)
I was not a fan- and I like the Szabo Lightning strike
My extra notes in bold

And it's my genuine pleasure :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Doc Dan wrote:Wow! what a list.

Tell me more about the Barlow looking knife.

Also, the Native XL was a comp lock and not a back lock?
The Barlow style was very, very neatly done indeed- Imagine a slightly fatter 'Barlow' style with Ti bolsters and dark wood scales- and a Spydiehole.
For me, it'd sell to all those that hankered for that 'traditional' styling.

And yes, the Native XL is indeed a comp locker (or the proto we handled was)

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bearfacedkiller wrote:ATRish Salt?

You can always grind a flipper off....It's a lot harder to weld one on :D

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

demoncase wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
You can always grind a flipper off....It's a lot harder to weld one on :D
Yeah, the bearings are harder to swap for washers though. ;) I don't want to derail. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

hoimin wrote:Thanks for the early heads up!

Questions:
Is this the Rubicon 2 seen at Shot Show?
Dunno:D
This one?!?!?!?! https://www.instagram.com/p/BAqrpQoB6s_ ... hardknives
Not as flashy, but I seem to recall the basic lines being the same

:)

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thanks so much for sharing this DC! This was the exact kind of info I was hoping someone could share :). I had a few questions and comments if you'd humor me:

1. The new PITS with lock I assume is the Pielock that LC started a thread on here?
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=69682

2. What's up with the "original" Delica and Endura in G10 (#'s 54 and 55 in your notes)?

3. Love the schwag you got! It looks like the Spyderhole cutout you have may be from the 40th Anniversary Native in that crazy Damasteel they're using?

And a quick aside to Darby, I ground my Mantra 1 flipper off and there's no way I'd swap the pivot bearings for PB washers. The darn thing opens like greased lightning with the Spyderhole!

Cheers, RS :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Thanks so much for sharing this DC! This was the exact kind of info I was hoping someone could share :).
My genuine pleasure

1. The new PITS with lock I assume is the Pielock that LC started a thread on here?
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=69682
Yes it was a similar lock in a different prototype...It's interesting for sure
2. What's up with the "original" Delica and Endura in G10 (#'s 54 and 55 in your notes)?
Imagine the classic Delica 2 and Endura 2 profile with the straight backs BUT in a liner lock/G10 build like the Tenacious. That's what they were like and I'll be honest- It was a proper "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" moment for me :)
3. Love the schwag you got! It looks like the Spyderhole cutout you have may be from the 40th Anniversary Native in that crazy Damasteel they're using?
Yes it is- as confirmed at the Meet...So there's 80 of these little holes out there now- each unique...and I'm proud to have one