Timeless designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Timeless designs

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I was sitting here looking at my Techno and I was trying to figure out what it is about this knife that makes me like it so much. After a while I'm no closer to figuring that out but it got me thinking about clean designs and classic looking knives. What makes certain designs last the test of time? Surely function must be the most important part right? And they say form follows function. So a highly functional knife usually ends up being simple and clean looking. If it works, and looks good it usually hangs around a while I suppose.

Now that I've trimmed my collection down considerably I find that the knives that made the cut for the most part seem to follow the form follows function philosophy. PM2's, Caly 3.5's, UKPK's, Slysz designs.

I guess I'm ranting a bit. It's Sunday though, so hopefully you don't mind.

What knives do you think will last the test of time?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Re: Timeless designs

Post by Evil D »

I think a key part of "timeless" is that they haven't had several versions or design updates over the course of their production life, so as much as I'd want to say something like the Caly 3.5, that knife is still relatively new so I can't quite consider it timeless just yet. Some knives (and other products) are little more than a recycled name and design concept. But, something like the Military, which apart from the jimping changes has been the exact same knife now for 20 years (god, I can't comprehend that 1996 was 20 years ago). Or you can look at the SS Police, which as far as I know has gone pretty much unchanged since about 1991. I think most people will say the Delica/Endura, but for me those don't hold up as well when they've had so many changes over the years. At some point you're just reusing the name on a knife that is very similar to the original but not quite the same knife.

They do the same thing in the car industry. The Ford F series truck has been around since 1948, but you can't really compare the original to the current model, they just share a similar platform design and idea. I do think change is important, and you have to wonder if something like the Delica/Endura would have continued to sell if they hadn't received any face lifts over the years, but on the other hand when you look at the Military and it's still chugging along nearly unchanged in 20 years and here we are drooling over sprints that are coming out, that says a lot. I think they could keep producing the Military as it is with various steels and such and it would continue to sell without any changes at all.

Oh gosh, looks like I didn't even answer your question. What model do I think will continue on and be timeless? In the lineup right now, I'd have to say the Para 2 for obvious reasons will probably continue to flow out of Golden for many years without significant changes. The Caly 3.5 likely will too, but that entire generation (the Calypso family) has been constantly evolving so we may yet see another iteration of the Caly. I'm sure there's more but I'd have to flip through the catalog..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid. :p
Going back to Caly.
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

Great question and equally great responses.

Agreed on the Caly3.5. I'll be better able to have justification on others mentioned after I own more beyond the 20 I now have - and I will.

But I'd even venture to say that Sal's very first C01 Worker that I also own is timeless - insofar it has the DNA that all Spydies have today, timeless or otherwise - as well as the DNA that other knife designers have 'borrowed' and subsequently have spawned brands from, based on Spyderco's trail blazing in the industry.

My 2 cents.

Thanks,
Sid
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Military for sure. Not only has it been around forever but I believe that Sal even said that it probably will remain in the lineup even after the Military2 is released. That is timeless compared to many Spydies.

What about the Cricket? It isn't basic but it only has one version and it has been around for quite a while.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would render a suggestion of Eric's Manix design.
The XL is one of my all time faves. I love the blade design.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SS Police has been around longer than anything else in the Spyderco lineup and has seen only minor changes during that time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

To me the Lum Tanto is pretty timeless. I feel like Spyderco could bring that back any time and it would be well received.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I agree with David on SS Police and Military. Others are too early to tell.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Personally i don't agree re the Delica.. Well, of course i agree it isn't unchanged since early 90's but on the other hand i can pick up either my narrow clip '92 or Delica 4 blind folded in a coal mine and recognize it immediately as a Delica :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Larry_Mott wrote:Personally i don't agree re the Delica.. Well, of course i agree it isn't unchanged since early 90's but on the other hand i can pick up either my narrow clip '92 or Delica 4 blind folded in a coal mine and recognize it immediately as a Delica :)
I thought about this. Delica and Delica 4 in spite of all changes are very close, as well as Native and Native5 LW. Still both knives had a lot of changes and this is not what called timeless. Spyderco can keep producing Native as is and people would continue to buy it. But N5 IMHO is much better knife, so I am thankful that Native was replaced. Almost the same about Caly family. It was a long way from Calypso Jr to Caly3.5 and now it is close to perfection. I really hope that this design will stay in production for many years and hopefully we will see another variant, which would replace original G10/VG10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Studey

Post by Studey »

I'm sure it won't stick around due to cost, but I consider the Slysz Bowie to be a timeless design. It's easily pocketable, as good a slicer as a FFG Endura, and can fill that gap between a gentleman's knife and a working knife. It has an extremely classic and utilitarian design, but I don't know how many people have gotten to appreciate that due to the cost.
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

What about the clip point Blackhawk design?
Spydies are sharp enough to cut the fabric of Space and Time

:spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Studey wrote:I'm sure it won't stick around due to cost, but I consider the Slysz Bowie to be a timeless design. It's easily pocketable, as good a slicer as a FFG Endura, and can fill that gap between a gentleman's knife and a working knife. It has an extremely classic and utilitarian design, but I don't know how many people have gotten to appreciate that due to the cost.
Funny you should mention the Slysz Bowie. That was one of the other knives I was handling when I was thinking about this stuff. I would absolutely include it on the list.

@liquid_cobra
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

I like the Slysz Bowie, but I'd like it in an lite weight design and maybe a wee bit more clip to the point.
LC Kid

Long Live Well Designed Blades!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Liquid Cobra!

My general motto stands:

'A design efficient enough to function flawlessly, with no added complications regarding aspect or shape'

The most successful Spyderco designs always hit that mark: Military, Paramilitary, Police, Endura, Delica, DragonFly, LadyBug. :spyder:

And some designers are gifted enough to realize that too. Marcin Slysz undoubtedly one of them.

You said Techno, and I totally agree with you. The Slysz Bowie belongs on that list too. :)
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I think the Dragonfly is irreplaceable. Considering how comfortable it is, even with large hands, and how small and light it is, I think it's niche was discovered and filled at the same time.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a very thought provoking topic because Spyderco does indeed have many blades and series of models that I consider timeless designs. OK first of all take all of the models in the Calypso series>> starting at the big C-54 model to the Caly jr. and fast forward all the way to this present day>> and I believe we won't see the end of the Calypso models for many years to come.

The POLICE model has been mentioned and deservedly so because you can see traces of the Calypso model in it's design. OK next of all look at the TEMPERANCE designs>>> all the way from the TEMPERANCE 1, FB05 model which is one of my personal all time favorites to the folders we all knew as the Lil Temperance models and I don't believe that the TEMP 2 will be the last of that series either.

You can even see their timeless trends in the C-36 Military and it's brother Paramilitary models. There is just something about those models as well as most of Spyderco's "IN HOUSE" designs make themselves well known with their own specially designed DNA in them. Most of Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs are very distinct from the rest of the commercial knife world. More of Spyderco's iconic, timeless models include their Dyad models, the older RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK models as well as their unique sheepsfoot models like the RESCUE and Mariner models. Even the Dodo and Manix models just have classic traits of Spyderco you can spot immediately.