2016 Seconds Sale?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EDC Honeybee

2016 Seconds Sale?

Post by EDC Honeybee »

I know this is months in advance, but I basically started thinking about the next seconds sale when I hopped in my car leaving last year. What time of year do we usually get confirmation of a sale? I understand that the sale happen in November, and that some years there aren't enough seconds to warrant a sale.

My takeaways from last year:
-SO glad I bought a caly 3 Superblue. My main goal was to get the CF ZDP caly 3, but I actually like the superblue model much better now that I own both.
-SO sad that I didn't get a PM2. I had several in my cart throughout the day, but didnt buy one. There were some great deals to be had on them. It is one of the most recommended and iconic knives, but I still dont have one.
-Everyone was very friendly and it was a lot of fun.

Also, I wonder if we will see seconds prices impacted by MAP. Perhaps seconds prices will increase to match the slightly increased prices in the market.

Its going to be everything I can do to not buy a PM2 between now and then.
Drahkis

Re: 2016 Seconds Sale?

Post by Drahkis »

In my opinion and recollection...

I believe the announcement came toward the end of July, I seem to remember having to wait about 4 months to take 2 of my buddies to their first 2nds sale. As far as having enough, there was a plethora of knives left last year around 12:30ish when we left with no line left and they had dropped the 25 knife limit on the 2nds.(though only Sal and co. know for sure) Even though I'd like to see it happen I don't know if i'll have enough money to make it worth the drive from Oklahoma so I won't necessarily be sad if they push it back a year, even though i'll probably end up there every time from here on out with how much my friends enjoyed themselves overall.

I'm jealous of that superblue you got I constantly regret not buying one of the caly's in super blue for a user when they came available.
One of my friends regrets not getting a black on black para 2 that was only $20 (I now constantly question his decision making abilities) and now they both plan on multiple paras next time.

I doubt that the map pricing will increase the seconds pricing as to my understanding the prices were raised to just about half normal price (I believe aprox half of MAP price) I think 3 sales ago... (Info received from MountainmanJim who I met in line at my first sale) I'd like to see those old prices back! :D

I'd wait on the para 2 at least until we are reasonably sure they haven't or won't be announcing a sale since you could get 2 or 3 for the price of 1 new (possibly even sprints) but it's easy for me to say since I've had one for EDC since the first cutlery shoppe exclusive.

anyway if they have the sale I'm 95% sure I'll be in the first group in so get there the day before and we can hang out! haha
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'd love to drive up to Golden for that! My brother's in S. CO. Might have to make the trip to visit and then head up north for the sale.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BTG

Post by BTG »

About the end of July sounds right, was m first and definitely plan a return.....I'm thinking there will be one again this year...
Sal even threw out a feeler on an East coast one....in addition I thought....with their larger factory and increased production, I'd imagine there'll be a proportionate number of seconds...and they seem to find things I wouldn't even notice, as some I got his year I still can't find the imperfection, or wouldn't have even considered it a reason to return.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Bump.......think we'll get one this year....be some extremely desirable knives this year for sure!!
paladin

Post by paladin »

Yes...Inquiring minds want to know!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

BTG wrote:About the end of July sounds right, was m first and definitely plan a return.....I'm thinking there will be one again this year...
Sal even threw out a feeler on an East coast one....in addition I thought....with their larger factory and increased production, I'd imagine there'll be a proportionate number of seconds...and they seem to find things I wouldn't even notice, as some I got his year I still can't find the imperfection, or wouldn't have even considered it a reason to return.
1) OMG another sale would be amazing, if it's relatively central north-south as well. I'm in Alabama and I wanna go. :D
2) That speaks to the high standards and quality of Sal and crew when it comes to their products. Most of the 2nds are probably better made than most knives you can buy in a big box store.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

On remember sal asking a few months ago about possibly doing a seconds sale somewhere on the east coast. Is there anymore word on that?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

If consideration is being given for an East Coast seconds sale, allow me to mention that Indiana is simply beautiful this time of year. We can get rooms as needed at Pokagon State Park and then go water-skiing and tubing after the Sale. ;) :D Maybe even have a big B-B-Q?? I'll bring the ski boat, y'all bring some food and beverages and we'll make it an awesome day. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Texas is where it is at!! Bring it to D/FW and plane tickets would be relatively cheap for everyone.. Huge airport, a lot of hotels/good eats, and its located in Central USA. Sounds good to me!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

mrtodd777 wrote:Texas is where it is at!! Bring it to D/FW and plane tickets would be relatively cheap for everyone.. Huge airport, a lot of hotels/good eats, and its located in Central USA. Sounds good to me!
I'm with you mrtodd777!!! It seems like there's a lot of Spyderco fans here too!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

uhh DFW please! just a 3 hour drive from home in Oklahoma city would be awesome.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'd definitely be there if there is one in DFW -- though I might totally go overboard on the budget! Since I have occasionally pondered driving from DFW to Golden for a Seconds Sale, I could sure make it if it is in my back yard!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

Well --- Personally, I think they ought to have it in Mannford, Ok. Only one traffic light to deal with and only about 25 minutes to Tulsa. OK -- let's all vote Mannford!!!!!

Regards, Jerry
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In another thread back in October, I suggested that because 2016 is the 40th anniversary of the company, maybe we should have some sort of get together in Golden with the factory seconds sale at the same time.

The sale is usually in wintry November but I suggested September 10th when the weather is nicer and the fall colors are beginning to show. The mountain passes and National Parks should still be open for people who want to make a trip out of it.

Golden is the Mecca of Spyderism. Once in our lives, we should make the pilgrimage.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

jerryh wrote:Well --- Personally, I think they ought to have it in Mannford, Ok. Only one traffic light to deal with and only about 25 minutes to Tulsa. OK -- let's all vote Mannford!!!!!

Regards, Jerry
I'm pretty disappointed that no one has voted for Mannford. Jus Kiddun. :) :)

Regards, Jerry
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sorry guys, but none of the states you mention are actually on the East Coast. You know, the whole key "connected to the Atlantic" detail? ;)

Obviously it's pretty late in the year already to expect anything to be planned for a 2nd Seconds Sale in a state outside CO. It's not like there's another SFO somewhere! (Well, the airport I was at yesterday is SFO, but they don't like knives ;)). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

Oklahoma isn't on the east coast?? -- I don't 'really' have really have ocean front property? Dang it -- My best efforts foiled again!!

Regards, Jerry