Spyderco's Answer To The Buck Model 110?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's Answer To The Buck Model 110?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well don't let the title of this thread throw you a curve ball or a knuckle ball either :rolleyes: for that matter :D because I truly mean it in a very respectful way. When it comes to BUCK knives I'll always have a special place in my heart for them because I cut my knife using teeth on BUCK's folders especially in my teenage years and also throughout my early 30s too>>however I did mature and grow up to become a devout Spyderhead :cool: . But I think it's fair to say that just about every knife company has it's "icon model", Premium Go-To model or just a model that really identifies what the company is all about.

That's why I'm going out on what I call a very solid limb and I personally proclaim Spyderco's C-36 Military model as being Spyderco's "Loud & Proud" answer to BUCK's iconic model 110. To me there are so many similarities and parallels to both models. And I just can't help but believe that Buck's model 110 and Spyderco's model C-36 have a virtually identical target market>> actually I'm sure of it myself.

But I know there are some of you guys and gals here at Spyderville that probably vehemently disagree with me on that comparison :rolleyes: . If so then if you personally respectfully disagree with me then you tell us which of Spyderco's great models do you see as being as iconic as Buck's legendary model 110>> which to me was a knife that just about re-defined hard use folders all together. OK do you agree with me or disagree? If so which Spyder do think mirrors Buck's model 110 the most?
El Gato

Re: Spyderco's Answer To The Buck Model 110?

Post by El Gato »

LOL This is crazy JD, because when I first read the title of this thread I immediately thought C-36 Military!!
I guess it's was just kind of a "natural". Great topic too by the way. :D
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

It should be the Endura IMHO. Targeting people who works and will use the knife hard, inexpensive, decent steel (VG10 vs 420HC) and has premium steel option (HAP40, ZDP, SB).
Chris :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Endura is a good one since they both have backlocks and about the same blade length. What about the Starmate? Or the Renegade with it's similarly clipped point?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea the Endura is probably the closest. The stainless one if you wanted the spiritual successor. The modern interpretation would probably be the Sage 4 given the bolsters and wood scales.

Still as you mentioned, the Military is certainly their spin on the old design. A modern folder with enough blade to match the old Buck 110 for function.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, Spyderco's "answer" to the Buck 110 was the JD Smith.
As for the most iconic Spyderco, that's tougher. I'd say the all stainless Police but I think one could make strong cases for the Harpy, Delica, Endura, and Military as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

The thing I love about the Buck 110 is the sharp tip. You don't get that with a drop point or leaf shape. I'm liking Deacon's answer.

Edited to add that the Chinook might make a decent 110 substitute.

Gordon
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Same here. Forgot all about that one :)

We need another run of the JD. A Jess Horn Lightweight too maybe.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I'm a little unclear on the question. If you're asking about which Spyderco model is most iconic in the same way that the 110 is iconic to the Buck brand, then I'd definitely say Military. If you're asking which model is Spyderco's own version of the 110, then I think that's more up in the air.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

IMO Delica or Endura. Available at a fair price, has been available in several anniversary and special models.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:IMHO, Spyderco's "answer" to the Buck 110 was the JD Smith.
As for the most iconic Spyderco, that's tougher. I'd say the all stainless Police but I think one could make strong cases for the Harpy, Delica, Endura, and Military as well.
Well Deacon that's really cool that you would bring up the JD Smith model in comparison to the BUCK model 110 because there was a time when I myself was quoted saying that I personally thought it was Spyderco's answer to the Buck 110>> that's been a few years back and I would say it was about 5 to 6 years ago if my memory is hitting on at least 6 cylinders :D Because from a standpoint of design alone it is probably about as close as anything in the records that I could think of.

But I factored in quite a few considerations before I named the C-36 Military as being the most likely. First I wanted a model that was one of Spyderco's IN HOUSE models designed by them>> and the JD Smith as much as I love and adore and respect it was a collaboration and not a design of Spyderco's. Second I wanted a model that many would regard as a rugged outdoor type model which I've always regarded the BUCK 110 in that genre. Third I wanted a model with ruggedness and a folder I would have complete confidence using in harsh conditions>> and again the C-36 Military wins out for me.

Because since I've fallen in love with my M390 Military I've used that model more in the past 6 months than I have about anything except maybe the C-60 Ayoob model that I've always been rather fanatical about. And you have many of the C-36 Military variants with a wide selection of Super Blade Steels as well.

There is one model that I'm surprised no one has declared and that being the C-07 POLICE model>> because from strictly an appearance aspect the POLICE Model just screams Spyderco's name. But Deacon I've got to say you do make an excellent example and I do respect your selection.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's so obvious :eek: Police SS SE :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Blerv wrote:Same here. Forgot all about that one :)

We need another run of the JD. A Jess Horn Lightweight too maybe.
Very much agree on both.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

Well the stretch would be considered the folding hunter. I'd prefer that.

I have very few knives of other brands anymore but one is a buck 110, the Alaskan guide model. It's S30V. It's a nice knife. I'm local to buck so sharpening is free, I'll prob always keep I'd say. However, using 2 hands to open really is unfortunate haha
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:It's so obvious :eek: Police SS SE :spyder:
This is really a good memory being revisited. Because I had a lady friend a while back who was from Berlin Germany and she had worked at a store right in Berlin where they sold Spyderco blades along with a few other top name blades. She said that they also sold BUCK knives too>> but she said that the Spyderco POLICE model was the one that she had the most compliments for and the one that most people wanted that couldn't afford it.

And if this were 10 years ago and I were to say which Spyder reminded me of the BUCK model 110 at that time I probably would have also said the Spyderco POLICE model and a Spyderedged model to boot :cool:

But I have used and owned and collected a lot of Spyders since then. So I still hold my ground and without regret I still give my vote to the C-36 Military model. Again the C-36 Military model is an IN HOUSE design and it just begs to be used and used hard.

But you know something so far I've enjoyed all of your answers and it's amazing to me how passionate you all are about your picks. :)
BTG

Post by BTG »

I would agree if your saying the 110 is to Buck, what the Millie represents to Spyderco...but if I were looking to buy a knife it would be a 110 or a resilience..... But yes, like you, the 110 was my first folder, SAK's not included.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

The pic Deacon put up is beautiful!!! I had considered it, but am going to go with an Emerson Gentleman Jim when the time is right. They are bit expensive at the moment...
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Endura vs Military is a generational thing. Us older guys think of the Endura as the most iconic Spyderco. You youngsters are all into the Military.

As far as mirroring the appearance, the Buck 110 is a Bowie style blade and brass bolsters. The Schempp Bowie most resembles it. Someone hurt my feelings when I proudly showed them my Schempp and they replied, "It looks like a Buck 110." (It just costs three times as much.)

But let me go back in the Time Machine and, yes... I can almost see it. There it is. The Renegade. A Bowie style blade Sal designed for the biker market. The same market that made the Buck 110 de rigueur.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Timely thread JD, thanks brother! :)

Just in time for my run at "paladin's answer to a Spyderco answer to the Buck 110"

apologies to Sal, Ed, & Mr. Buck also.... :o

sorry, but ever since Mr. Schempp's Bowie became part of the Spyderco lineup, those brass bolsters hearkened back to my days of "Spydie-dropping (before the fact)" my ole Buck 110...I understand Ed & Spyderco's take on bringing the Bowie into our era, but I couldn't help myself when I laid eyes on those beyooouuuuuuteeeeefuuuullll braaaaaaaassssss bolsters.... :p

The CF/G10 covers are classy & chic and very 21st century :cool: .... but I'm more of a sentimental, traditional 20th century old fart-- so I had to pair the brass with some hardwood-- Ironwood was my choice owing to how much I love my Sage 4's covers...

I even think the "sharkfin amputation" (technical term) echoes the graceful spine of the 110...do you?

I just didn't have enough guts to void the warranty on a retail Bowie...

So thanks Eli, for snagging this one for me at the last Factory Seconds Sale :D :spyder: :D