For those looking for BIG folders…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

For those looking for BIG folders…

Post by DrtyHarry »

Would you rather have a Tatanka or a K2? The Tatanka has a wave in it, the K2 is as is. I heard the K2 has some lock issues…not the biggest deal. But anyway….for a SD tool, what would you rather have?? I take it the K2 is a great slicer...
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DrtyHarry

Re: For those looking for BIG folders…

Post by DrtyHarry »

I'm debating if I should keep my Tatanka or get the K2…I have a few days to decide. Don't think I can keep both since I got two Millies on order…any advice fellas??
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Well I can only speak to the Tatanka (as I own one) but have never handled a K2.

In terms of a SD role the Tatanka has exceptional reach, a very robust lock and a thick strong blade that is able to be deployed very quickly.

In fact, simply deploying the Tatanka in a SD situation may even (hopefully) deter the attacker due to the size and intimidation factor.

It also depends on the style of MBC you employ, I believe a purely SD knife to be small and easily maneuverable, the Yo2 immediately springs to mind.

Pure SD techniques should focus on getting you away as quick as you can, in my mind using defensive techniques, i.e. attacker strikes and you respond with a counter-defensive technique, whereas in a “knife-fight” you become the aggressor and use more hostile techniques.

The main goal of a SD situation involving a blade is “I’m leaving. . . you’re bleeding”.

Anyway the Tatanka would be my pick over the K2, it’s a real beast!!!

Cheers, Nick.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I know all about blade fighting and how to "cut" and run. Buddy of mine has one, waved it, doesn't print or show at all. When he pulls that thing out...you feel like you should duck for cover as if a grenade is going to go off. Actually...to get more of that "wOw" effect, I might put a mirror polish on it to make it look all the more frightening.

I will always carry a Millie or PM2. ALWAYS. And when I think it's a good idea, I'll carry my karambit as I was luvky enough to take a few months of training classes with it. Amazing tool if you can use it properly. If I'm wearing a suit or more formal attire, I carry my large Sebenza usually with my Millie. But yeah...as good as a steel as I heard the K2 has....I might pass. I was going to get it to keep in my car to cut a sandwich, pizza, whatever. Maybe even use it in the kitchen or if out camping.. Can't wait for that bad boy to arrive. Casey is 2-3 weeks behind on his low riding small black clips. I guess that will have to wait....no worries, only God knows how long it will takecme to wave it. And perhaps put a mirror polish on it.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Is always lean Yoj 2 for SD. But out of your 2 I would do K2. I just like the looks best.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

swigert wrote:Is always lean Yoj 2 for SD. But out of your 2 I would do K2. I just like the looks best.
The K2 is nice and fits the hand rather well. An advantage the Tatanka has over it is that you can use the knife in a closed position as a striking tool. I mean….you don't always want to shove a 5" blade into someone heaven forbid. BUT…it has a nice end to the blade that will allow you to strike your attacker with non lethal force. With the K2…there is not enough room on the grip to really do that. Same reason why the karambit has that ring around the end. If you strike someone with that ring…you can do a lot of damage. Besides, I'm looking forward to "waving" the Tatanka. That should be fun. I just drew up the plans for it. Not sure if I am going to polish it…or maybe send it out and get it super mirror polished.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

When I grasp my k2, there is a least 1.5 inches of Ti handle sticking out. I have large hands.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You might want to edit your signature. Buy, sell and trade is not allowed on here. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I would wait for this "Native Chief" or whatever it's being called at the moment. Some of you who have been to the Amsterdam meet have probably seen the latest version of this knife, but here's a 1999 concept pic I found just to stir the pot :D

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

I think this would another good opportunity for me to suggest the Yojumbo. That is a Yojimbo with a 3.5 to 3.75 inch blade. I realize that keeping the ergos the same may be an challenge but I would be interested in seeing what could be done.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Evil D wrote:I know this doesn't answer your question, but I would wait for this "Native Chief" or whatever it's being called at the moment. Some of you who have been to the Amsterdam meet have probably seen the latest version of this knife, but here's a 1999 concept pic I found just to stir the pot :D

Reminds me of the Renegade.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would be less concerned about the lock with either knife and more in the fact that the K2 is relatively slick (at least compared to G10).

I'm not a huge opponent of lock types, traction, or slicing geometry for SD applications. Mainly because 99% of the encounter and your success isn't reliant on the tool itself. Still, I'll take traction over everything else except maybe length.
bearfacedkiller wrote:I think this would another good opportunity for me to suggest the Yojumbo. That is a Yojimbo with a 3.5 to 3.75 inch blade. I realize that keeping the ergos the same may be an challenge but I would be interested in seeing what could be done.
And this. The 3.5" blade of the Yo2 will likely outperform both other knives while making a more secure and legally viable carry in more jurisdictions.
bearfacedkiller

I was actually suggesting a new model but I agree with Blerv. I feel as though being able to have a secure grip on your tool is paramount in a self defense situation. I don't see why you would need a blade over 3 inches to hurt someone enough to get away. I vote Yojimbo also. Not to put down either knife you suggested but I would take a Yojimbo over either one. You seem to like SD blades and it is a great one. The ergos are amazing. You also seem to like knives that look a little bad *** and I assure that even with only a 3.1 inch blade that the Yojimbo is an eye opener.

Sorry if that isn't really the advice you were looking for.
-Darby
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Neither, the Tatanka is too big and the K2 has tip down one screw pocket clip.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

A Yojimbo 2 and a P'Kal in the front pockets, and a Reverse and Ronin in the back pockets, Ark on your neck, then 4 throwing knives boyscouted to your belt.

Oh, you said BIG folders... mmmm, nah. Get a Katana. Or a Szabohawk. Just in case you have to run from someone through locked doors.
Going back to Caly.
John Shirley

Post by John Shirley »

If anyone has to use a knife defensively, your attacker should never know you have it.

"Intimidation factor" is code for "good way to get yourself killed."

John
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

John Shirley wrote:If anyone has to use a knife defensively, your attacker should never know you have it.

"Intimidation factor" is code for "good way to get yourself killed."

John
Very well said for the most part....if you whip something out, you better be prepared to use it...and know how to properly use it. You don't want the BG to know you have something that will stick him. 99% of the karambits I have all have a matte black finish...and held correctly, you can't see the blade. You slice, dice, and run. I had a lot of training with a karambit, and those things...even with a 2.5-3" blade are SUPER lethal in the right hands. If you see someone with a karambit...run!! Or reach for your sidearm. Easist fight to win is a fight not faught. IMHO.