Spyderco saved my life

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco saved my life

Post by JD Spydo »

I had to use a blade to defend my own life about 5 years ago and I was very glad to have it ready when I did. Like yourself if I hadn't of had it I believe I would have had a very sad outcome :( . I used an older Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri to defend my life with and the assailant's eyes got as big as Chinet paper plate :eek: The story took a lot of description about how they tried to rob me and my friend but when they saw we were ready for war and had weapons them immediately ran like the cowards they turned out to be.

I thank Almighty GOD that you and your Girlfriend got out of the situation unscathed. Many of these foreign countries that are in the midst of the drug trades are extremely dangerous places to be. I urge all of you who travel to other countries to use extreme caution at all times. Many of these countries are in economic ruin and will do desperate, nefarious things to get money>> don't be a victim and don't ever let your guard down.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sounds to me like your awareness saved you every bit as much as that Spydie did. Good thing you had the presence of mind to know what to do and when and good thing you had a good tool to rely on. Thanks for sharing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yay! Well done, that man!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Crazy story! Really quick thinking. Glad you' guys are ok!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow I am so glad you and your Girl Friend are OKAY! THANK GOD!!! !

I am so glad that you had the awareness and ability to do what you did and that you had that amazing piece of razor-sharp Spyder Steel on you, too!

I have to admit, it is crummy that the police basically stole your knife from you. They should have returned it to you and just been glad that you and your Girl Friend were safe.

KNIVES SAVE LIVES!
TomyT

Post by TomyT »

Thanks everyone I live in el Paso TX. On a horse ranch we grow alfalfa here and very familiar with cross border crime, so I am always on alert while in Mexico and growing up here you kind become a rough and tumble person, I gave my wife a lady bug a couple of years ago and of course she left it at home, upon arrival she made sure it was in her purse. I just ordered a replacement Delica and plan to order a spare. I hear horror stories from family and friends and I always told myself I would never let myself be taken, as Emiliano Zapata Said " I would rather die on my feet than to live on my knees" I am Judo practitioner picked it up in the Army and continue to train lightly since I am now 55 and bad knees. When the taxi driver made that u-turn all the hair on my neck stood up and alarm bells went off in my head guess a little of the army training is still in-bedded deep inside. My choice of a Delica was primarily as a knife for use around in the ranch and I like a partially serrated blade because I am always cutting rope, bailing twine, leather for saddle repairs I have had to cut through canvas halters in an emergency because a horse got himself hung up on a hook or branch and the serrations just rips through anything organic. After using it I decided it would be my EDC knife the size is perfect and when that knife clicks open it is wicked looking and menacing. Thank you again everyone be safe :spyder:
TomyT

Post by TomyT »

Just a quick Note: Juarez Mexico had less murders than Chicago last year I just heard this news and verified it. Be careful anywhere you find your self.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Heck of a story! I read it aloud to my wife as good evidence of why both she and I carry our trusty Spydies everywhere we go! I'm glad to hear you and your girl friend make it out safely and can live on to fight the good fight!

Jeez, a machete! :eek:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
elena86

Post by elena86 »

mattman wrote:Crazy story! Thanks for sharing.

You say the restriction was on 4" blades... How did they justify confiscating your knife for length?
4 inch Delica ?! :confused:
TomyT

Post by TomyT »

Elena86 I am not a knife purist or snob the knife is four inches closed or there abouts and it is called a delica 4 i assumed because its four inches I am a rancher not collector my knives see hard use every day. I had a CRKT given during Christmas as a gift and it broke after 3 weeks of ranch work. My spyderco has lasted me years and years thats all i can relate to you and the big fact that it saved my life. While in the Army it's all about Ka-bars or Gerber knives and my pocket knife was a buck 110 hunter that I still own and was replaced by the spyderco I loved the one handed opening and was converted to spyderco. I still use my buck knife to dress game and stock here at the ranch.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Great story. Glad you lived to tell it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

TomyT wrote:Elena86 I am not a knife purist or snob the knife is four inches closed or there abouts and it is called a delica 4 i assumed because its four inches I am a rancher not collector my knives see hard use every day. I had a CRKT given during Christmas as a gift and it broke after 3 weeks of ranch work. My spyderco has lasted me years and years thats all i can relate to you and the big fact that it saved my life. While in the Army it's all about Ka-bars or Gerber knives and my pocket knife was a buck 110 hunter that I still own and was replaced by the spyderco I loved the one handed opening and was converted to spyderco. I still use my buck knife to dress game and stock here at the ranch.
My remark was not adressed to you but to those corrupt policemen who confiscated your trusty Delica.That's why I quoted mattman.I had some personal "encounters" with this kind of " policia federal " and my blood boils when I read stories like this. I bet at least half of those " federales " are involved in same way in kidnaping.I am really glad you and your GF are well.As a side note I am also 55 , I have bad knees and I was judo practitioner for 8 years in my youth :rolleyes:
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I'm glad You got out of that safely and cleanly. I'm brand new here but will give my 2 cents about knives as weapons on People. Only as a last last resort. I've lived most of my life in Chelsea,Ma. It's always in the top 12 most violent/dangerous Cities in US from crime studies I've seen the aftermath of several stabbings. It's not a pretty sight. All but one were holding their intestines or they were hanging out. I still walk around the City at night. Most People I see at night are on the hustle. Prostitutes, heroin addicts (epidemic in Ma), gang members, punks looking to rob. I carry mace and an asp (telescoping 2 ft steel rod). Always a knife but usually a small Cat etc. I do things like cross the street frequently and always alert. I don't have a gun permit and have a better chance of waking up next to Allysa Milano. Unless I could prove in court my life was in eminent danger, I wouldn't want to have used a knife on a person. Trust Me, it wouldn't look good. You don't want to stick someone that is just aggressively pan handling etc. Also, there are many factors and things that can go wrong on the street. I'm a big guy but no kid. I'm 51, 6ft4 and 270lbs. If I get into a knife fight with a smaller guy, good chance I'll get stabbed too. I will pass and try something else first. Obviously can't sleep at this hour and hope it makes sense.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Glad you guys made it out ok. I wouldn't worry about wether or not the knife had a four inch blade or not. A Delica 4 is easily replaced.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

I don't travel in Mexico any more, too many cartel problems now & nearly everywhere. We're 60 miles north of that border & it's still bad enough with the drug rip-offs, gang killings, home invasions & general mayhem which is nearly on a daily basis.

Mexico is worse, because at least here the police are honest & try to enforce the laws as best they can. In Mexico the cops can be worse than the thugs, & you can end up in jail for no reason. That's the last place you would want to spend a vacation... No thanks, not any more for me.
TomyT

Post by TomyT »

BostonTom wrote:I'm glad You got out of that safely and cleanly. I'm brand new here but will give my 2 cents about knives as weapons on People. Only as a last last resort. I've lived most of my life in Chelsea,Ma. It's always in the top 12 most violent/dangerous Cities in US from crime studies I've seen the aftermath of several stabbings. It's not a pretty sight. All but one were holding their intestines or they were hanging out. I still walk around the City at night. Most People I see at night are on the hustle. Prostitutes, heroin addicts (epidemic in Ma), gang members, punks looking to rob. I carry mace and an asp (telescoping 2 ft steel rod). Always a knife but usually a small Cat etc. I do things like cross the street frequently and always alert. I don't have a gun permit and have a better chance of waking up next to Allysa Milano. Unless I could prove in court my life was in eminent danger, I wouldn't want to have used a knife on a person. Trust Me, it wouldn't look good. You don't want to stick someone that is just aggressively pan handling etc. Also, there are many factors and things that can go wrong on the street. I'm a big guy but no kid. I'm 51, 6ft4 and 270lbs. If I get into a knife fight with a smaller guy, good chance I'll get stabbed too. I will pass and try something else first. Obviously can't sleep at this hour and hope it makes sense.
Hello BostonTom I'm confused with your statement, I live on a working Ranch and slaughter stock regularly and do lot's of hunting I am used to blood and guts ever see a gutted steer 10 plus gallons of blood human 1.5... I use knives for work daily not for show or elegance but I do like a quality knife thus the spyderco it's not a Skinner so I use my 30 year old buck to skin game and livestock I don't carry a Mace or a two ft steel rod I carry a 1911 45 acp or my Khar .40 S&w If I'm trail riding I carry my 12 guage with dbbl 00 buck shot and either my 44 magnum or 357.as a side arm fortunately I can carry open or concealed here in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, so tell me BostonTom what should I have done let that cab driver take me and my wife hostage let her get rapped, gone peaceably because I wasn't willing to spill his blood should I have pulled out my Mace or my Baton while wearing sandals and shorts and a tee... He's lucky I had presance of mind and I didn't slice open his artery or smashed him in the head repeatedly with my tactical flashlight that i carry everywhere. Dude your comments are way off and off topic frankly you would have been a victim that night and your wife passed around and rapped by low life thugs or drug addicts Dude a taxi driver in Mexico makes a u turn taking you the opposite direction away from your Hotel and you would have gone quietly like a lamb to slaughter. Texas is a castle doctrine state and stand your ground state I don't have to back off in any life threatening situation. Your 6 ft 4 and 270Lbs and you would have let that little 110 mexican cab driver feed you to the wolves
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

JAfromMN wrote:Awesome story

I always carry a blade

Yoy never know what may happen
I carry a razor sharp blade with me everywhere I go. This is only only one of the reasons why.
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

TomyT
I apologize if my post came off the way it did. As I said, I'm glad you got out of that scary situation. What would I have done ? Probably the same thing.. My post was not directed at you or your situation. Again, I apologize for the way it came off. I shouldn't have used thread to vent about using a knife as a weapon.
My only point was I would just use a knife in a last last ditch situation. As was your situation.
As I've said, I've seen people stabbed and aftermath of stabbings. Again, it's not pretty and would not look good in court. I've yet to see someone with a little hole and a blood spot that was stabbed. I've seen people with intestines hanging out etc. I'd rather be in court for shooting someone with a stolen AK47. Unless, I could prove 100% in court that my life was in jeapordy. And I have little faith in the court system and juries in Mass from my experiences.
I encounter quite a bit on my walking route or just my neighborhood. I've been almost attached by pitbulls several times. I always carry a knife and good chance it's going to be stuck in one of them if I get bit or before I get bit. I'm hyper aware and try and prepare myself for anything.
It's a whole different ballgame in the city. In my city we have a 2.5" blade limit. I never pay attention to it. But, it would just be an added problem if I used a knife on someone. Getting a gun permit is almost impossible. If someone does get a permit, they can't carry the gun on them for a year. The cops make a big deal about kids and even adults carrying knives. Due to all the stabbings.
Again, I'm glad you thought quick and got out of that situation. I wouldn't have done anything different..
Best Tom
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

That is terrifying story!!! Thank God you had your knife!!