P'kal- Very Nice, But a small problem...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Boar-gen

P'kal- Very Nice, But a small problem...

Post by Boar-gen »

Hi there!

My son and I are hoping, praying and waiting for a Yojimbo 2 Trainer. So meanwhile we thought we get a P'kal, so I bought the knife and a trainer.

First of all I must say it's a fantastic knife- great design and size! I really love this one! But I must admit that I am surprised over the not so good fit and finish! What bothers me most is the fact that the blades on both the "live knife" and the trainer are way off the center. Then earlier today I saw another P'kal and same thing there- blade off the center. Why is that happening?

It's actually worse then it looks in the picture. Anyway, since I don't live in USA I have to fix this myself. So any advice? Should I loosen all the screws or only the two Pivots screws? I assume that one side of the pivot the screw is using loctite, so should I loosen that one also?

Looking forward to some assistance. Have a great weekend all of you!!! :)

Thanks,

Boar-gen
Razzle

Re: P'kal- Very Nice, But a small problem...

Post by Razzle »

Too much of this sort of thing, lately, unfortunately.

I'm so sore and tired from re profiling brand new knives the past few days......the grinds were so uneven. One sprint was so bad, I sent it in for a factory regrind. When it came back to me, I tossed it in my user pile....the grind was SO far off, it was ridiculous....much worse than when I sent it in.

60% of new knives (no name mentioned) come to me in pretty perfect shape. Centering has usually been good.

On your PKal, may just want to loosen the pivot a tiny tiny bit, see if the blade centers.
Matt
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Not my video, but this method has worked well for me. http://youtu.be/b9C5NOQzbAM
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

Thank you Razzle and Hopsbreath! I will try that!

Regards,

Boar-gen
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Razzle wrote:Too much of this sort of thing, lately, unfortunately.

I'm so sore and tired from re profiling brand new knives the past few days......the grinds were so uneven. One sprint was so bad, I sent it in for a factory regrind. When it came back to me, I tossed it in my user pile....the grind was SO far off, it was ridiculous....much worse than when I sent it in.

60% of new knives (no name mentioned) come to me in pretty perfect shape. Centering has usually been good.

On your PKal, may just want to loosen the pivot a tiny tiny bit, see if the blade centers.
Just on a side note I sent two Santuko's back to Spyderco recently to be professionally sharpened....One was one from over 25 years ago and needed some restorative care) the other a younger model just in need of a good sharpening. The younger came back...not so sharp (I could have done better using my Sharpmaker 204) The older knife, as best as I can tell was not touched at all....just maybe a look and right back in my shipping box....It was very disappointing and disconcerting to say the least...I too am concerned and hope these types of things do not keep reoccurring....Doc
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Off-centering is bound to happen in mass production. Unless the blade is scraping on the side of one of the scales, you're fine. I have about 12 knives and they're all off to some extent.

Loosening the screws probably won't make a difference, you would have to disassemble to see if sometging is actually bent, which would be really hard to tell without precise machinery, and that would also void the warranty.
v8r

Post by v8r »

It shouldn't need total disassembly. Watch the link to the video that was posted earlier. You could watch a video for centering the blade on a Manix 2. Locks are the same on both knives, and adjustment should be similar.