Birthday Visit to 820 Spyderco Way

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vaisforlovers

Birthday Visit to 820 Spyderco Way

Post by vaisforlovers »

Good Evening,

I just had a great birthday. I don't think I could have planned it better. Yesterday my family and I left home and traveled to Colorado, on our way to a vacation in Summit County. My wife and son have asthma and we wanted them to acclimate a day at 5000-6000 ft before heading up to 9300'. Golden was the perfect stopping point, of course!

This morning we woke up and enjoyed the good (free) hotel breakfast and then all swam in the hotel pool. Checking out, I sheepishly asked my wife, "You know, the Spyderco Headquarters is only 5 minutes out of the way...can we make a quick stop?" I only think that because today was my birthday, my loving, and Spyderco tolerating wife, acquiesced. I truly think she expected the request , and maybe even suggested stopping last night "in the Denver Area" with forethought; she's not a dumb one. But she also doesn't understand why I need "yet another". Thankfully she stopped trying to understand and just loves me, so she dropped me off with one of my sons while she and the other ran a quick errand.

The folks there at 820 were super friendly, and when they found out I was from out of town, and that this was our first visit, they bent over backwards to show me all the knives I cared to see. I wish I had some "bombshell" news to reveal, but I really didn't get a chance to query. I was too busy fondling the many pieces I've only seen in pictures. It was truly fun.

Traveling, I normally carry the Dragnfly Salt SE. Not researching every municipalities' knife laws, I feel that it will almost always be judged as a tool and not a concealed weapon. I know it doesn't cover 100%, but close enough. So this very dull knife is what I had on me today. They sharpened it up SCARY sharp! So sharp that when I opened a case of water later that day, I unknowingly and unintentionally slit a water bottle 2 inches and water poured everywhere. I really need to get that good on a Sharpmaker. I did learn that sharpening serrations isn't as mystical as I thought and I look forward to further practicing my novice skills.

I left with a Manbug and a Sprig and a further respect for the company. Some part of me wishes I had asked if Sal or Eric was available, but out of respect for them and their schedules I just couldn't do it. Maybe one day I'll run into them to pass on a thanks and get the opportunity to shake their hand. From what I see on this forum they bring joy to MANY FOLKS. I am privileged to be able to visit their HQ.

Epilogue- the rest of the day was just as great, showing my wife and kids my favorite things along I-70, BeauJo's Pizza, Geargetown, Loveland Pass, but they have nothing to do with Spyderco, so I'll stop rambling.

For those that are on the fence, the visit to 820 Spyderco Way is well worth your time.

James
timlara

Re: Birthday Visit to 820 Spyderco Way

Post by timlara »

Nice story and Happy Birthday!

I literally LOL'd at "Spyderco tolerating wife" - I have one of those too! ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Your story brought a smile to my face and brought back my own personal memories of the time I got to visit. Thank you for sharing and happy birthday.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
palonej

Post by palonej »

Awesome story and Happy belated Birthday!!
Joe
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Very nice story! I'll get there someday myself hopefully :). Happy birthday as well! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Happy belated birthday, James! Going to the SFO on your B-day is a fantastic way to spend your special day. ;) Congrats!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Great story & Happy Birthday!!! I'll make it a point to stop there if I ever get back to CO.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

Awesome, thanks for the share!