Manix2 Light Weight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
maliboy67

Manix2 Light Weight

Post by maliboy67 »

I really like the manix2 and have one with g10 scales.
So I can get a manix2 light weight with blue frcp scales and s110v blade. School me about the light weight, what is the difference and do they stand up as well as the g10 model. Thanks
Studey

Re: Manix2 Light Weight

Post by Studey »

They're dramatically lighter, the handles are FRCP instead of G-10, the LW uses no liners and has a wire clip instead of the hourglass one. I'm sure it's not as strong/tough as the G-10 model, but if you use it for cutting stuff, I'm sure you'll never notice the difference.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've had both and they are very nice. Just depends on if you want a lightweight knife or not.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
maliboy67

Post by maliboy67 »

I'm all for lighter weight. I am guilty of forgetting theses are cutting tools and therefore shouldn't be concerned if it isn't built like a tank. Seems the mainstream marketing is finally wearing on me. I dare say I like the manix2 better than the pm2.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Manix2 LW S110V is a great value for the money. You should get one :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
maliboy67

Post by maliboy67 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:The Manix2 LW S110V is a great value for the money. You should get one :)
I just placed an order. :D
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:The Manix2 LW S110V is a great value for the money. You should get one :)
^ Enabler! :)

I have both too. I bought the LW used and it's incredibly light for a knife this size. Almost feels strange to handle it after using the tank-like G10 version. I think what impresses me most is how freely the blade swings. It doesn't swing quite as freely as my G10 but it's darn close. The LW might require light wrist movement to open and close where the G10 doesn't require any. The FRCP handle also feels very durable. Some folks don't like the pinned construction but not a deal breaker for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I still remember first getting the LW and being amazed that such goodness came so cheaply, like SG said, one of the best bangs for your buck. The only thing you might notice and take some getting use to is that the LW is a little flexier than the G10.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Waco

Post by Waco »

Even without liners, the lightweight handle is plenty strong. It flexes if I pinch the sides, but that's not how I hold the knife when I'm actually using it. I like my G10 version, but about the only functional advantage it has is that it's easier to clean if you get gunk inside it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's a Spyderco best buy, and probably one of the best knives to own IMO. My G10 model rarely sees me pocket since I got the LW. It's **** strong, and the balance is way better.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Waco wrote:Even without liners, the lightweight handle is plenty strong. It flexes if I pinch the sides, but that's not how I hold the knife when I'm actually using it. I like my G10 version, but about the only functional advantage it has is that it's easier to clean if you get gunk inside it.
Oh I totally agree, just meant its not as rigid as the G10 version with liners, you have to pinch it pretty hard to get any flex thats for sure.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They are plenty strong...you'll likely break the blade before you break the handle. Spyderco did their homework on these handles to make sure they wouldn't be the weak link. I put mine through **** and it never flinched. Check out this thread..
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=68682

However, I have since sacrificed that knife to put the blade into a G10 handle (and then they announced the production G10/S110V version about a month later). I didn't do it because I didn't like the LW though, I did it because I wanted this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68970
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

There are some pictures floating around from someone who tried batoning a chunk of wood which broke the knife right at the pivot if I remember correctly, you guys remember that one, it was some time ago, cant remember the thread or forum.

Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

I got mine last spring and it became my favorite lw carry by far. I still carry my Pacific Salt when fishing but pretty much every other day if I'm wearing shorts it's the M2 LW 110 that's clipped to me. And to echo what Spidergirl88 said in her post, it is an incredible value. You really do get a lot of knife for the money.
Waco

Post by Waco »

farnorthdan wrote:There are some pictures floating around from someone who tried batoning a chunk of wood which broke the knife right at the pivot if I remember correctly, you guys remember that one, it was some time ago, cant remember the thread or forum.
Anyone who does that to a folder should have their whole knife collection confiscated.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Ranger393 wrote:I got mine last spring and it became my favorite lw carry by far. I still carry my Pacific Salt when fishing but pretty much every other day if I'm wearing shorts it's the M2 LW 110 that's clipped to me. And to echo what Spidergirl88 said in her post, it is an incredible value. You really do get a lot of knife for the money.
It's the only knife I can carry in gym shorts and forget it's there.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Waco wrote:
Ranger393 wrote:I got mine last spring and it became my favorite lw carry by far. I still carry my Pacific Salt when fishing but pretty much every other day if I'm wearing shorts it's the M2 LW 110 that's clipped to me. And to echo what Spidergirl88 said in her post, it is an incredible value. You really do get a lot of knife for the money.
It's the only knife I can carry in gym shorts and forget it's there.
Get yourself a Dragonfly ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

I also really enjoy the dark blue manix2 lw. I find the handle to be rigid and tough, tough enough for any task you will have for a folder. And the steel holds a great edge. When I first got the lw I didn't really like the weight of it in my hand. I felt the handle being to light for the blade, just my opinion. Not a lot, but enough to tell a difference when using the knife and when playing with the action of the knife. So what I did is took a chicago screw, and put it together through the lanyard hole, add a light weight to the handle. It matches up nice and looks good. Now the weight ratio feels very good in my hand. Using it for tasks as well as the action feels a lot better in hand. I use this knife for work tasks, at home tasks, food prep, backpacking tasks, going to the store, and even lounging around in pjs. I use to circulate my knives pretty frequently, since I purchased the manix2 lw, it has been the knife I grab. It has put others on shelves and some into drawers. It is a great knife. I have very much enjoyed it. I don't have a g10 version yet, so I am excited to see the blue g10 coming soon. Might pick it up, maybe just get another LW.
-Zac
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
Waco

Post by Waco »

Evil D wrote:Get yourself a Dragonfly ;)
I got my wife a Dragonfly Salt. Nice, but a bit small for my tastes.
Waco

Post by Waco »

zacmangray wrote:I felt the handle being to light for the blade, just my opinion. Not a lot, but enough to tell a difference when using the knife and when playing with the action of the knife. So what I did is took a chicago screw, and put it together through the lanyard hole, add a light weight to the handle. It matches up nice and looks good. Now the weight ratio feels very good in my hand.
You bought a lightweight and added weight? I understand the importance of a rifle being balanced. But, with a pocket knife, I don't care if the handle weighs more or less than the blade.