Removing the Digi camo from paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike3398

Removing the Digi camo from paramilitary 2

Post by Mike3398 »

I want to shave off the Digi camo print on the paramilitary 2 it looks thin and I like the color underneath how would I go about removing it and has anyone done this to thiers
THE PROJECT IS UNDERWAY
CURRENT PHOTOS ARE ON MY GOOGLE+ ACCOUNT MIKE MCAULIFFE
Last edited by Mike3398 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Distinguished ambassador of the American knife and tool Institute
bearfacedkiller

Re: Removing the Digi camo from paramilitary 2

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have seen it done on another forum. It will remove the peel ply texture I believe but it can be done. The screws may be left a little proud but that can be fixed too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey Mike,

Here's one way to go about removing the digicam from your handle scales:
Disassemble the knife and remove the two G-10 scales.
Purchase several sheets of 300, 400, and perhaps 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Tape, clamp, or otherwise firmly attach one piece of the lowest grit sandpaper to a piece of glass. (You can puchase a single pane of 3/32" window glass at Menard's for under $4.00). The object is to maintain a very flat and even surface. After the sandpaper is secure, start with one scale (face down) and gently begin to apply pressure as you move the scale laterally across the sandpaper. Be sure to check your work often. With a little bit of elbow grease, you should be able to work past the peel-ply texture and also camo color. What lies beneath should be "natural" G-10. You can finish the G-10 to a high polish (using high grit sandpaper over 800 grit) or keep it satin (400-600 grit). I prefer satin myself and usually wipe the G-10 down with FP-10 or another quality oil in between sanding. Let us know how it works!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mike3398

Post by Mike3398 »

I'm gonna try that method I have some spare glass planes at home I have used an oil for a long time I use tuf-glide for mostly everything I have to buy some oil
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I came close to doing this on a Military until I realized the screw issue. I guess you could go all the way and increase the recessed depth for the screws but I'm too lazy for all that lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mike3398 wrote:I'm gonna try that method I have some spare glass planes at home I have used an oil for a long time I use tuf-glide for mostly everything I have to buy some oil
Don't forget to take pics as you go :D
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Remember to wear a good respirator when sanding G10. The dust generated from sanding is bad to breathe (particularly the glass fibers embedded in the material).
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:I came close to doing this on a Military until I realized the screw issue. I guess you could go all the way and increase the recessed depth for the screws but I'm too lazy for all that lol.
It is really pretty easy to deepen the existing recessed holes for BH (button head) screws. All you need is a standard drill bit (black oxide will work just fine). I used a pair of calipers to determine the exact diameter of hole I would need for the screw head. For example, a #15 drill bit will work perfectly with a 2-56 BH screw. A 5/16" drill bit will work pefectly with a pivot screw head of approximately .300" or .305". (The actual size of the bit is around .310" if I recall correctly). Just chuck the bit in a drill press and use a medium speed (around 720 RPM is adequate) on the drill. Just go slowly, take your time, and you will be able to deepen the recessed holes without any difficulty. Please note that the conventional drill bit WILL obviously leave a pointed vs. flat-bottom hole, but this shouldn't be much of an issue if you are only removing a few thousandths of material.
Wright.88 wrote:Remember to wear a good respirator when sanding G10. The dust generated from sanding is bad to breathe (particularly the glass fibers embedded in the material).
Yes! I very much agree with Wright.88 on wearing a quality respirator when sanding G-10--or any composite material, for that matter. Your lungs and overall health will thank you. A decent quality respirator will only set you back $25 or less at the hardware store and will last you a long time.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mike3398

Post by Mike3398 »

My paramilitary 2 will be in tomorrow I'm gonna start on it right after work I have all the stuff I need to get started I will take pics and I will make a new post with pics
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Why buy a knife in a handle color you do not like, and you only plan to destroy the scales and void your warranty? Just asking?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Archimedes wrote:Why buy a knife in a handle color you do not like, and you only plan to destroy the scales and void your warranty? Just asking?
It actually looks great in natural G10 and custom natural G10 scales are pretty expensive.
Mike3398

Post by Mike3398 »

Because I can just get another if it's ruined and besides I have backup scales and they also don't make it in natural color anymore
aranawhite

Post by aranawhite »

abbazaba wrote:
Mike3398 wrote:I'm...
Don't forget to take pics as you go :D
i 2nd the motion.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I look forward to seeing your results. I have thought about doing this for years but now I am just holding out for the BHQ exclusive. I like natural G10.

Just a heads up but getting that lanyard tube out May be the hardest part. I have a bunch of Para2s. Some the lanyard tubes are beyond stubborn. I have one I have never gotten apart and then there is my Blurple Para2 which I picked up at the seconds that isn't even flared. They vary from specimen to specimen from my experience.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

^^The lanyard tube on my digi camo PM2 was a challenge as well. Press fit.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

abbazaba wrote:^^The lanyard tube on my digi camo PM2 was a challenge as well. Press fit.
Those press-fit tubes can certainly be a pain in the rear to remove. :( One thing that works well for me is to use a HSS punch of the same diameter of the lanyard (usually close to 1/4" on some models). Stabilize the handle against a piece of hardwood (maple is my favorite) with a hole or recessed area beneath the lanyard tube. "Gently" tap the punch with a hammer to nudge the tube out of the scales. Usually works like a charm for me and it doesn't ruin the scales either.

Mike3398

Post by Mike3398 »

I forgot to mention that I got the black blade because I thought it would look better with the natural g10 and I also used my knife center reward points for 20$ off too so it was cheaper sites with reward points are awsome I wish bhq had rewards
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

I assume you will have to grind the tube thickness a bit. How will you achieve this?
v8r

Post by v8r »

I wish they would offer some models in natural g10. I have natural g10 scales on one of my Mules and love it. Put a thin layer of liner material under natural g10 and it gets better;)
Mike3398

Post by Mike3398 »

v8r wrote:I wish they would offer some models in natural g10. I have natural g10 scales on one of my Mules and love it. Put a thin layer of liner material under natural g10 and it gets better;)
I just ordered natural scales for my mule 21