First knife for new Marine

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

First knife for new Marine

Post by Sharp Guy »

My 18 year old son is will graduate high school this spring and is already signed up for the Marines. I'm considering buying him his first "real" EDC knife but I'm undecided on what to buy him. He's had a SAK and a Leatherman multi-tool for a while now but, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have anything else.

I want to get him a folder and I'm not necessarily looking for something he can have on him while on duty. I've never been in the service so I honestly don't know what, if anything, he'll be allowed to carry when he's working. So if there are any Marines out there reading this your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Being relatively new to Spyderco (but gaining a lot of experience quickly) my first thought was a PM2. I handled one last weekend and thought it would be great. In fact I bought a lightly used one (black/DLC) from the exchange today so I can get some hands on experience with it. If it's nice enough I may give it to him or buy him new a digi-camo one if that's more suitable. I also have a Manix 2 & Manix 2 LW sitting on my desk that might be ok. But then today I began thinking that these might be too much knife for him. Afterall, at the risk of sounding like an over protective dad, the kid doesn't have a lot of experience with a knife. He is pretty responsible and has shown me safe gun handling skills since he was young but now I'm not so sure he needs a bigger knife. So now I'm leaning on a Native 5 LW or a Delica. Again, not sure if he'll be able to carry it while on duty, so maybe the smaller size of the N5 or Delica will be more practical for EDC in general. I have each of those knives too and, while I also have bigger knives, I know I prefer something a little smaller and more discreet. But then, I'm not a young man going into the Marines.

So what do you all think? If it was your son what would you give him? Input from all is appreciated!

Thx!

SG
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Surfingringo

Re: First knife for new Marine

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Sharp Guy, I would definitely go with the pm2. I personally would get the digi-camo, but not because a marine needs a camo knife....I just like it. :D

And yeah, you're probably being a bit overprotective but that's better than the opposite. He's old enough to join the Marines, he's certainly old enough to carry a 3 1/2" pocket knife. ;) If you feel your gift should be accompanied by some sound fatherly advice then so much the better.

Enjoy the giving.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Para2 digi camo black blade
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I doubt he will be allowed to have it in boot camp. Once he gets out and is assigned a permanent unit, then he can think of a knife. Unless he is deployed (hope not) any knife will have to be out of sight out of mind, more than likely. I think I would lean more towards a Native 5 unless you find he can carry a PM2. A PM2 would be a good choice, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I would be looking at a couple key factors:

- Usefulness, how many tasks can the knife be utilized for.
- Weight, the less it weighs the less weight he has to hump around.
- Durability, the knife has a very likely chance of being exposed to conditions most of us never subject our knives.
- Ease of maintenance, how easy is the steel to sharpen, how easy to clean gunk out of, etc...

With those thoughts in mind I would be leaning towards an open frame construction knife with a compression, liner or frame lock. I would tip my hat towards a compression or frame lock because the lock bar is protected by the scales which can be important when used in a high stress situation with a gloved hand. For durability you are going to want to take into consideration scale material, lock type, steel type, style of construction etc... Here I would lean towards a scale material like G10 for its weight savings, grip texture, durability and the fact it is resistant to most chemicals and oils. Blade steel selection could take packages to hash out or discuss. My thought process would start with the users sharpening ability and access to sharpening tools. Being in the military I am going to assume he will have limited access to a wide array of sharpening tools (maybe consider getting him a combo stone like the DMT to go with the knife, it is small and will cover 99% of his sharpening needs). I am going to suggest S30V as an excellent steel choice, good rust resistance, easy to sharpen with basic sharpening skills, is fairly tough with good edge retention, economical in comparison to some of the exotic steels available.

Ease of Maintenance, I would recommend an open frame construction knife. It will make it easy to clear all the gunk that is sure to get built up with the simple use of soap and water. A small pen applicator of oil would also be a good accessory to include with the gift of the knife so that he can lubricate the pivot after cleaning and while in use. Blade shape will play an important part in how easy the blade is to sharpen, a recurve, S, serrated blade may be a challenge to sharpen and maintain if deployed.

Usefulness. This is highly subjective but if I don't have a drawer full of knives to choose from I am going to want to pick one that can do the most tasks for me without significant compromises in the other areas mentioned. I tend to lean towards a knife that has a stout clip with good retention, nice stout blade which is still designed to cut and a longer blade with an agile but not delicate tip.

After that long winded post here would be my recommended Spyderco's based on meeting the above requirements:

- Military S30V DLC(callled the military for a reason, if I remember the story correctly Sal designed this knife after being asked what knife he would send his child off to military service with)
- Paramilitary 2 S30V DLC
- Manix 2 DLC
- Bradley Folder
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Sharp Guy, I would definitely go with the pm2. I personally would get the digi-camo, but not because a marine needs a camo knife....I just like it. :D
The PM2 with DLC/digi-camo would definitely have the cool factor. I'm just not sure how practical it would be. But then, to an 18 yr old Marine practicality might not be so important.
Surfingringo wrote:And yeah, you're probably being a bit overprotective but that's better than the opposite. He's old enough to join the Marines, he's certainly old enough to carry a 3 1/2" pocket knife. ;) If you feel your gift should be accompanied by some sound fatherly advice then so much the better.
I agree, but it's hard not to be over protective. I was thinking the same about him being old enough to be a Marine, he's old enough to carry a 3 1/2" knife. I'm sure he'll be fine regardless.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:I doubt he will be allowed to have it in boot camp. Once he gets out and is assigned a permanent unit, then he can think of a knife. Unless he is deployed (hope not) any knife will have to be out of sight out of mind, more than likely. I think I would lean more towards a Native 5 unless you find he can carry a PM2. A PM2 would be a good choice, though.
Yeah I was figuring he probably would be able to have it at boot camp but wasn't sure. My thought is to give it to him after he graduates from boot camp and is assigned to his unit. I might give it to him early so he has a chance to familiarize himself with it. He can leave it at home and have his mother (my ex) send it to him if necessary.

I'm still leaning toward the N5 but I think the PM2 is a great choice too.

I appreciate your comments. I welcome more comments from more people who have been through this or have kids who have been through this.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ferris Wheels wrote:After that long winded post here would be my recommended Spyderco's based on meeting the above requirements:

- Military S30V DLC(callled the military for a reason, if I remember the story correctly Sal designed this knife after being asked what knife he would send his child off to military service with)
- Paramilitary 2 S30V DLC
- Manix 2 DLC
- Bradley Folder
FW, thank you for taking the time to make a well thought out post. I've thought about the Military for obvious reasons but I think it might be larger than what I wanted to give him. If, after awhile, he wants to go with a Military there's always Christmas and his birthday to get him something else.

Tough choice between the Manix 2 and PM2. I like the blade shape of the M2 but not sure the CBBL will be practical. The PM2 seems to make sense as it has G10 yet is still fairly light weight. The blade shape seems a little fragile though.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

The only part of my numerous PM2's I have found to be fragile on the blade is the splinter picker tip. I have broken the last 1/64 of an inch off the end of two PM2's but you know what, it hasn't bothered me one bit. Doesn't effect their use and when you take a pair of calipers to the blade spine you realize how stout the PM2 actually is for its weight and size.

My love for the PM2 aside, I would spend more time worrying about which handle design and lock design works best for your son because both knives will work excellent. Since you have both a Manix 2 and a PM2, come up with an excuse to sit down at the kitchen table and play with both models. Work in operating the knife with gloved hands if possible. I bet this will help you quickly make the right decision on which knife to go with.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ferris Wheels wrote:My love for the PM2 aside, I would spend more time worrying about which handle design and lock design works best for your son because both knives will work excellent. Since you have both a Manix 2 and a PM2, come up with an excuse to sit down at the kitchen table and play with both models. Work in operating the knife with gloved hands if possible. I bet this will help you quickly make the right decision on which knife to go with.
Unfortunately, I can't sit down with him and work with both knives because he lives with his mother back in the Chicago suburbs and I'm in the DFW area. I will do a little playing with both knives myself to see which lock type might be better suited for use with gloves. Personally, I think both lock types might not be the easiest to use with gloves but the compression lock might be a little better. I'm still not sold on the M2 or PM2. I actually think a mid/back lock on the Native 5 might be easier to work with gloved hands for closing but I don't know how one-handed opening will work out. Guess it's time to put on pair of gloves and sit down with a table full of knives and do some testing.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

As a Marine I was extremely hard on my knives. I have bent more tips and broken more scales than I can remember. I would go with the N5 for a small edc blade so if he uses it as a prybar, shovel, screwdriver, ect... it might have a better chance of surviving. I am not saying your son would do this on purpose, sometimes you just grab what you have and get done what you need done.

Semper Fi.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

A Pacific Salt has robust tip, good old lock back, light weight & practically maintenance free. An all black version will make it discreet.

Sharpening shouldn't be too difficult. Some DMT Credit Cards (C & F will do Plain Edge for general purpose), or a Spyderco sharpmaker medium rod or diamond rod for Serrated Edge.

May attested that SE H1 edge retention is better than PE, but ease of sharpening might be an issue (DMT cards is easier to carry than Sharpmaker rod). Another option is to get DMT tapered rod sharpener. I carry the cards with me daily, so I choose PE.
Chris :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

HE won't be able to have anything in boot camp so it's best to wait until he is done with that and his training after.

After that he will have to see what he will actually be doing and tell you.

As far as knives go I carried a USMC Ka-Bar for the whole time I was in, never carried a folder so I might not be too much help there.

But I was in from 82-86....
paladin

Post by paladin »

LW Native 5 when he's allowed to pack a folder...can't go wrong, it's as safe a folding knife ever made IMHO, weighs essential nothing, and is manly enough for even the most battle-hardened leatherneck...

Of course, if you really, really wanna "toughen him up" go with a pink ladybug...think Johnny Cash's classic "A Boy Named Sue" ;) :p

Seriously, congrats on raising a young man willing to serve!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For carry in the USA, the PM2 is a good choice.

If he's deployed, I'd recommend a stout fixed blade.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Kudos to you and your son, SG. My sincere appreciation for his upcoming service to our Country. :)

As for knives, I would recommend the following in this particular order: Native5 (G-10), Paramilitary2, Endura4, Manix2. Each has pros and cons, but all will serve him well. Also, let him handle several models and see which one suits him the best.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Hi Sharp Guy, kudos to your son for wanting to serve his country. Do you know what MOS (job) he has signed up for? The other guys are correct, he won't be allowed to have it with him in boot camp, don't even let him take it there thinking he will be able to store it until graduation, it will be confiscated. I would also be hesitant giving it to him if he lives in Chicago, knife laws there are pretty harsh and you don't want to risk him getting in trouble before he ships out.
I work with Marines every day (5811s MPs) and most of them carry a folder, albeit cheaply made ones. I have had a few start carrying Spydercos or other quality knives if they show interest in mine.
I carry a DLC digicam Para2 and a S110V Manix2 LW everyday at work, both are excellent knives and easily operated while wearing gloves. The digicam Para2 looks the part and yes, they think it's cool...but cool factor aside, it's an awesome knife.
Cool and awesome...sounds like a winner all around.
Yes, Marines, especially young Marines, tend to be very tough on their gear but a little edge-u-cation goes a long way. Talk with him about valuing his gear and why it's important to use a knife as a knife, a screwdriver as a screwdriver etc. and he will be fine.
I think a Para2 and a decent multi-tool would be a great graduation gift. Good luck

Dan
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thank you all for the previous replies. I'm going to think on this for awhile yet and I might change my mind a couple times but at the moment I think the Native 5 LW is what I'm going with.
paladin wrote:Of course, if you really, really wanna "toughen him up" go with a pink ladybug...think Johnny Cash's classic "A Boy Named Sue" ;) :p
Haha! Yeah, he'd probably hate me for the rest of his life but it would toughen him up in a hurry.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I'm not going to pretend to know what a Marine would need as far as cutlery goes, but a fixed blade seems like a better choice. Something that is built with full tang construction for strength. I'm not saying anything huge and heavy, just of robust build so it won't fail him in the field.
The upcoming Rock Salt would be my choice. While maybe a bit large, it is light weight, and made of H1 which would be fairly tough. The orange handles may be the wrong color though.
I bet it would be a ferocious weapon if it had to be used for that purpose, but also would excell at food prep, chopping, etc.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Hi Sharp Guy, kudos to your son for wanting to serve his country. Do you know what MOS (job) he has signed up for? The other guys are correct, he won't be allowed to have it with him in boot camp, don't even let him take it there thinking he will be able to store it until graduation, it will be confiscated. I would also be hesitant giving it to him if he lives in Chicago, knife laws there are pretty harsh and you don't want to risk him getting in trouble before he ships out.
I work with Marines every day (5811s MPs) and most of them carry a folder, albeit cheaply made ones. I have had a few start carrying Spydercos or other quality knives if they show interest in mine.
I carry a DLC digicam Para2 and a S110V Manix2 LW everyday at work, both are excellent knives and easily operated while wearing gloves. The digicam Para2 looks the part and yes, they think it's cool...but cool factor aside, it's an awesome knife.
Cool and awesome...sounds like a winner all around.
Yes, Marines, especially young Marines, tend to be very tough on their gear but a little edge-u-cation goes a long way. Talk with him about valuing his gear and why it's important to use a knife as a knife, a screwdriver as a screwdriver etc. and he will be fine.
I think a Para2 and a decent multi-tool would be a great graduation gift. Good luck

Dan
Thank you Dan for the excellent post. I don't know what MOS he's signed up for. He's told me but I honestly can't remember at the moment. I'll wait until he's out of boot camp and at his first assignment to send him the knife. That'll give me plenty of time to change my mind several times on what to give him. DLC digicam PM2 would definitely be a hit but at this point I'm kind of sold on sending the Native 5 to start with. Again, that might change when I get my PM2 in my hands next week. I may even send him both. If he's like me he'll enjoy having a couple of knives to choose from.

Oh....BTW we're from the far NW Chicago suburbs and not subject to Chicago's laws. He can own pretty much anything but an auto. AFAK Chicago's law is basically no autos or ballisongs and nothing concealed over 2.5". Anytime I went into the city, which wasn't often, I always carried a small folder or nothing. Regardless, no worry since I won't be sending him anything until after he's at his primary base. However, I will give him some advice on what he can bring into the city when he's home along with some advice on proper use and care of whatever I send him.

Thanks for the advice!