Spyderco Myrtle (C194CFTIP)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tabo

Spyderco Myrtle (C194CFTIP)

Post by Tabo »

Anyone else going to acquire this blade? I just ordered one from GPK. Very interested in the design of the blade shape and how it will work out as an EDC. Looks like it will be very good for day to day tasks. The handle has a very custom look to it. Excited to receive it and start putting it through its paces. Whats all of your guys and gals thoughts?

I will add in the wild photos once I get it in.
hudsonhawk

Re: Spyderco Myrtle (C194CFTIP)

Post by hudsonhawk »

I agree with you Tabo. The handle and blade have a very "custom" feel to them. I've noticed that Taichung has been putting out some great pieces with great designs that feel a lot more expensive than they are.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I ordered one this morning. The edge line will be a challenge to sharpen but I'll figure it out. The Taichung manufacture, materials used, and the ergonomic handle geometry made me push the "Add to cart" button. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I handled it at the SFO on Tuesday. It is a very nice piece and I was very impressed with it. It is a heavy duty knife with a unique blade shape that seems very functional. It does have a custom feel to it. It was bigger than I expected. Thick blade and a thick lock.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The blade shape is kind of ugly IMO but i'd wager it's very functional. Kind of reminds me of a modified reverse S with a wider/stronger tip. I love my lil matriarch and it makes a great edc but this one looks like it give some similar cutting performance and be better at spreading peanut butter. ;)

I'm going to have to give this one some consideration.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

If I was cutting fruit all day, this is the blade shape I'd want.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'll take a page from JD's book and say, "This blade needs full serrations!" :D I only jest slightly; Can you imagine how awesome a full SE blade would work on something like this?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

If the clip holes would line up with a Lynch pocket clip I'm in immediately. If not the clip is a huge turn off.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I just looked at the C-194 Myrtle model on one of the other Forums I frequent and I doubt if I ever get one unless it would be for collector reasons. I can't envision anything I would actually use it for. Unless they would offer it in SPYDEREDGE. But I see a lot more uses for a Reverse S Spyderedged blade than I do by that blade design of the Myrtle model. I think SURF's idea of having a PE & SE duo of the LIL Matriarch models make a lot more user sense than some of these other exotic designs do.

Like the C-111 Captain model as much of a specialty blade as it was I truly wish the designer of the Myrtle would tell us what he intended for that design to be good for. But if someone can prove to me that there is a viable use for it I would reconsider. It would be interesting with a Spyderedge for sure but I'm doubtful if that would happen.
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

I like the more unconventional designs. The Myrtle, to me looks fantastic. If there weren't so many sprints coming out, I would snag one of these up straight away.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

It's my favorite new spyderco this year. .

I can't watch to hear more of what everyone thinks
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Mine will be here tomorrow. I can post pics after I get back from gorging myself with delicious smoked meats (aka Texas BBQ).
BTG

Post by BTG »

oops double post
Last edited by BTG on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTG

Post by BTG »

My wallet, and wife, will be glad to hear I have no interest in this one..blade shape does nothing for me...and I like bolsters..but like the ones on the Persian...maybe 20% on both sides..but only on one side of the knife, and half the scale?
Is that even considered a bolster?
Studey

Post by Studey »

BTG wrote:My wallet, and wife, will be glad to hear I have no interest in this one..blade shape does nothing for me...and I like bolsters..but like the ones on the Persian...maybe 20% on both sides..but only on one side of the knife, and half the scale?
Is that even considered a bolster?
Yes, it's still a bolster. It's only on one side because the knife is a framelock, hence necessitating not having a bolster on that side of the handle.

I'm looking forward to handling one. I like the design, not sure if I'd go for it given the blade, though I like that it's basically a less extreme reverse S. I'll have to handle one.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I like the look of it a lot, but... not interested in a 4mm thick blade, and like most of the collaboration framelocks, it's pretty unfriendly for LH users.
Moses_3

Post by Moses_3 »

I really like it and will probably get one. I just wish that the handle screws were not silver and matched the handle better.
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

I love the design and name (my mothers name) and I would probably get one if it wasnt for the huge amount of screws used in the handle. Destroys the design imo.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The blade looks upside down. Not for me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

I have one on order myself. I think that it's a phenomenal looking piece personally.