Spyderco Myrtle (C194CFTIP)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Spyderco Myrtle (C194CFTIP)

Post by twinboysdad »

Clip is hella better than Lil Temp 1
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Another ugly Spyder that I just got to have on looks alone.

There just something about it I like

I've only had one made in Tiwan Spyderco sage 4
it's fit wasn't nearly as tight as my USA or Japanese ones.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Handled a Myrtle for the first time today - what a beautiful piece of cutlery. I totally agree with those who say that it has a very custom look and the blade shape is just out of this world. The marbled carbon fiber is also very beautiful.

Unfortunately the example in the shop had an impossibly strong detent - I simply could not open the knife with one hand! Two other guys there tried and had similar results - all of us had to open it two handed. Presumably this breaks in after a while? Bit of a shame considering what a pretty knife it was...

Bruno
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

glbpro wrote:Handled a Myrtle for the first time today - what a beautiful piece of cutlery. I totally agree with those who say that it has a very custom look and the blade shape is just out of this world. The marbled carbon fiber is also very beautiful.

Unfortunately the example in the shop had an impossibly strong detent - I simply could not open the knife with one hand! Two other guys there tried and had similar results - all of us had to open it two handed. Presumably this breaks in after a while? Bit of a shame considering what a pretty knife it was...

Bruno
I'm sure it would loosen up over time. My Tuff was like that, literally took both hands to open, but its smooth now. Just had to break it in.

I'm still on the fence about the Myrtle. The price is high enough that it would be nice to be able to hold one in hand before deciding, but I'll probably wind up with one eventually.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

I have the Myrtle riding in my pocket again today, and every time I handle it I love it all over again. The knife didn't take long to break in, and now that mine is, it just has that custom feel every time it's in hand. It is such an odd blade that I can see people being iffy about it, but as soon as you have one in hand (once it's broken in), you'll know what I'm talking about when it comes to the feel of it. One thing you can do to speed the break in process along with this knife is leave it halfway open at a 90 degree angle overnight (which for me is usually only 4 hours so I ran errands after I woke up and came back to it) and you'll be amazed at how amazing the action is.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Just an update since I started this thread:

It has been a couple of months since I received my Myrtle and actually traded it away for a Traeger grill to a guy I work with. While the knife had perfect fit and finish and got smoother as the time went on I felt the blade shape to be less useful than others that I own. Spyderco's military and paramilitary blade shapes are a tried and true for me in my day to day tasks.
Scoop-o-chips

Post by Scoop-o-chips »

I just picked one up and i think it has some serious mod potential, easy to change out the scale, could make for excellent regrinds and refinishes, and a new homebrew clip and you have an absolute powerhouse
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Tabo wrote:
Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 am
Just an update since I started this thread:

It has been a couple of months since I received my Myrtle and actually traded it away for a Traeger grill to a guy I work with. While the knife had perfect fit and finish and got smoother as the time went on I felt the blade shape to be less useful than others that I own. Spyderco's military and paramilitary blade shapes are a tried and true for me in my day to day tasks.
You won on that trade...