Folder designed for food prep

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gad226

Folder designed for food prep

Post by gad226 »

What would a Spyderco folder designed from the ground up to be used for food prep look like? What features would you want to include/exclude? Something like a 4 inch folding chef's knife with a compression lock sounds good.

I think some design features would be:

-Thin 4 inch blade ( roughly Endura shaped)
- Pass through handle for easy cleaning
- Handle that keeps your hand clear of the cutting surface
- Laminate steel
Evil D

Re: Folder designed for food prep

Post by Evil D »

There's already one in the works.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Regardless of steel choice, there are a few candidates though:
Military with aftermarket stand offs;
Resilience;
Farid Mehr K2.
But that Anso design mentioned by Evil D remains my possibly favorite and yes Spyderco please bring this back :D
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Evil D wrote:It's going to look roughly like this presumably. There's already one in the works.

Woops, followed up on this image and found out it should be a Marcin Slysz's design instead of Jens Anso's. Just spectacular.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
gad226

Post by gad226 »

Awesome looking knife, I guess I spoke too soon
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Being somewhat of an amateur chef at home, you need several knives depending on the task at hand. A Delica for paring, an Endura for a small chef's knife, a K2 for large slashing cuts in the ribs of an animal or cutting a very large piece of meat into sections, a Roc for a small santoku, and lastly a Manix 2 XL for the traditional do-it-all chef's knife role.

That's what I would use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

funghiman wrote:
Evil D wrote:It's going to look roughly like this presumably. There's already one in the works.

Woops, followed up on this image and found out it should be a Marcin Slysz's design instead of Jens Anso's. Just spectacular.
Dang I believe you're right. On that note I'm not really sure what the Slysz version looks like.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:There's already one in the works.
Yeah but EVIL there has been one in the main line up for almost two decades now that most people here at Spyderville overlook>> I'm speaking of the C-17 Catcherman model. Yeah I know it's mainly designed for filleting fish and field dressing wild game and so forth but I use three of my Catcherman models in the kitchen almost on a weekly basis.

My old AUS-8 full Spyderedged Catcherman has been my go-to kitchen blade for a long time now and I wouldn't be without it. I so much want to see a full Spyderedged Catcherman back again for many uses but mainly for kitchen and food prep jobs because my AUS-8 SE, MBS-26 CE and H-1 CE all get a lot of kitchen detail along with two of my TEMPERANCE 1 models which are fixed blade of course.

But for any new folding kitchen blades that Spyderco has in their pipeline I just hope they offer one up in full Spyderedge.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For what it's worth, the Resilience makes a great food prep knife. It's has just about the most cutting edge of any folder in the lineup (at least with a blade profile/grind that's suitable to food prep).
~David
npad69

Post by npad69 »

a pointier rock lobster blade with a junior handle (or similar) just to keep the knuckles touching the chopping board while cutting. i dont mind a slightly longer blade than the RL's. this was mentioned in another thread 'if you are to combine 2 spydies'. a compression lock would be nice as long as it has an non-milled liner with an open back handle construction to facilitate easy cleaning. i'll gladly settle with vg-10 for food prep uses.

the Marcin Slysz's blade design looks promising, but it has too much belly for me and i would prefer a much lighter, grippy-er scale like frn or g10 instead of metal. this is to make it more affordable also.

right now im using the resilience as dedicated mobile food prep knife- i can live with the blade but its hard to keep a purchase on the handle while chopping garlic, onions, etc.. had to move the board right on the edge of the table to provide clearance for my hand.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If a person was really really motivated and had to get themselves a folding kitchen knife...the Tatanka has the most blade you can get right now in a folder (pretty sure right?).

Get a Tatanka, have it reground into a FFG. Then, ground out the handle behind the pivot to give some finger relief. You can cut out quite a bit of the handle and it should still be plenty sturdy enough for food prep as long as you aren't splitting bones and such. It has a very strong lock so that's not an issue.

Something along the lines of this crude photoshop wouldn't be hard to do.
~David
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

While I would certainly buy one I think that fixed blade dedicated kitchen knives are much better suited for the task.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Evil D wrote:If a person was really really motivated and had to get themselves a folding kitchen knife...the Tatanka has the most blade you can get right now in a folder (pretty sure right?).

Get a Tatanka, have it reground into a FFG. Then, ground out the handle behind the pivot to give some finger relief. You can cut out quite a bit of the handle and it should still be plenty sturdy enough for food prep as long as you aren't splitting bones and such. It has a very strong lock so that's not an issue.

Something along the lines of this crude photoshop wouldn't be hard to do.
Well, a slightly smaller alteration could still be Police 3 though, with its FFG blade and jimped finger choil as well as thumb ramp.
Really wish it was made in a different lock though, linear/frame/comp/BBL, any one that allows a flow-through design, you name it.
Currently the closest approach would be the Raven 2, perfect ergo but still limited reach. Hope there could be a larger version named albatross ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Dialex Senior, if and when it goes to production!
Junior if you're not too firm on your first criteria point.

Rock Lobster.

That Spydechef would be primo if it ever comes to fruition.

The Raven 2 has a pretty thick blade.
Going back to Caly.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I really like hollow ground blades like the Gayle Bradley for food prep, effortless straight cuts. Of course M4 isn't ideal for food.
Waco

Post by Waco »

My Millie is my favorite Spyderco for food prep, with my Endura being a close second. If I'm just cutting up an apple with my lunch, a Manix works great.
JT

Post by JT »

Aaaargghhhh! My eyes!!! Evil D why?? :eek: :eek: :D

I love (my) Tatanka just the way it is :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Plus one for Military. A great knife for food preparation. Also must admit that hollow grind blade on Gayle Bradley folder is better slicer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JT wrote:Aaaargghhhh! My eyes!!! Evil D why?? :eek: :eek: :D

I love (my) Tatanka just the way it is :D
Lol yeah it's not the best looking but it would make food prep much easier.
~David
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Another vote for the good ol' Military here. Before I went a little crazy with my Mules my edc Military handled all my kitchen work very well. Because I always had it handy in my back pocket it was the knife I reached for when I was preparing a meal.
I think it is still a good choice. ;)