History & Info on the DYAD Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

History & Info on the DYAD Model

Post by JD Spydo »

Most of you who know me also know that I am a huge fan of the C-44 Dyad and Micarta C-39 Dyad Junior as being two of my all time favorite Spyderco models ever. The C-44 full sized Dyad model is also one of my all time favorite Spyderco models to EDC. In my "JD's TOP 10" that I put up on the Forum every so often I've included the C-44 full sized DYAD model in that TOP 10 list for several years in a row now>> and for good reason. A lot of the new folks here at Spyderville haven't been aware of the DYAD model much at all and it's wide selection and many variants. There are more variants, colors and handle materials for the Dyad model than just about any other model I can think of with maybe the exception of the C-36 Military.

I've owned the C-39 FRN Dyad Junior models in 3 different colored handles and the Micro Dyad with it's classic stag handle>> I'm wondering how many different colored Dyad Junior models you all have owned and encountered>> because I do know there are at least 4 different colors of the C-39 FRN model. As this great forum grows and many new Spyder fans emerge it doesn't take too long before they have one of the DYAD models on their collector's list.

I know that there are many of you all who want to see a DYAD model in the H-1 Salt Series and I'm sure at some point we'll see one there. Let's talk about the Spyderco DYAD models. Which ones do you all have? Which Dyad do you like the best? Which ones would like to see return? What do you all know about DYAD model history?
twinboysdad

Re: History & Info on the DYAD Model

Post by twinboysdad »

The main dislike of mine is clip placement being essentially half way up the handle and leaving a ton of knife sticking out of the pocket. Other than that it rocks and I would like to see a single blade version of the Dyad SE blade. Dat belly on the SE makes it the best SE cutter in the line up to me
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:The main dislike of mine is clip placement being essentially half way up the handle and leaving a ton of knife sticking out of the pocket. Other than that it rocks and I would like to see a single blade version of the Dyad SE blade. Dat belly on the SE makes it the best SE cutter in the line up to me
Excellent point you make "TBD" because few people realize that the sheepsfoot, full Spyderedged blade in the Dyad models does have a slight bit of "belly" to it and you wouldn't think that such a minor feature as that would make a noticeable difference but it most certainly does help a lot. That's one aspect of the bigger C-44 Dyad model I've always liked when I carry and use it>> the sheepsfoot, Spyderedged blade is an awesome cutting machine.

The super streamlined, clip-point PE blade is really nice and handy as well. As far as the pocketclip?? I can live with it where it's located>> that's not my main gripe about the C-44 Dyad>> what bothers me is that they haven't yet engineered a lanyard hole or a loop attachment of some type. Because I've talked to two of the old members here at Spyderville who told me they used theirs in the fishing industry. If I were to loose one of my C-44 Dyads overboard they would have to give me enough anti-depressant to sedate an adult elephant :eek: >> yeah it would bum me out that bad because I hold my Dyads near and dear.

But a resolution to the pocketclip dilema and the addition of a lanyard device of some sort would be a step toward perfection ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This really baffles me to no end :confused: as many of you as I talk to who hail their praises of the DYAD models and for all of you who want Sprint versions and H-1 versions I just can't for the life of me understand why this thread is ignored :confused:

Because when you think about it the DYAD model has a really rich history with all the variants of the model and the prices people have been paying for many of the older, discontinued Dyad models. Only the MILITARY and Calypso models probably have more variants than the Dyad models do.

I know that there are still a lot of you guys who very much want to see an H-1 Salt DYAD. Even if Spyderco has to charge a premium because of higher than expected manufacturing costs I would still find a way to get a couple of SALT DYAD models. The gray VG-10 model is just absolutely gorgeous IMO.

I bet if they did a Sprint of the C-39 Dyad Jr. with the Micarta handle it would sell out in less than a month.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've had one Dyad. The Micro with jigged bone. Only bought it bc I could get it cheap and then sold it for double what I paid. I would be all over a salt Dyad with a lanyard hole for retention.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sorry about that, JD. I'm a little late to the party--but I've still got a whole lotta' love for the Dyad line! :)

I currently own two Dyads: the Micro Black Pearl Dyad and Sprint Run Dyad Jr. in teal blue. I am very much on board with seeing another Dyad Jr. Sprint--of ANY kind. Heck, I don't even care what type of steel it has, I will purchase it. An H1 run would be a dream come true, but I just don't know if it would gather enough support to justify a Sprint.

P.S. I've been toying with getting one of the larger Dyad Sprints in gray G-10. I just don't know if I'll like the overall thickness of the handle...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Spydergirl and Spydernut I think we can all agree wholeheartedly that an H-1 Salt Dyad would truly be a Working Man's Dream Folder :cool: The Prototype that they had a couple of years ago from what I was told was smaller than the C-44 which I could live with as long as the sheepsfoot Spyderedged blade still had that slight convex belly to it which truly makes a noticeable difference cutting cordage or rough material.

I too loved the Dyad Junior models but the FRN models of which I had quite a few of at one time just didn't give me the confidence that the smaller C-39 Micarta model did. That Micarta C-39 Dyad Jr. is truly a lost classic>> and I don't think they made that many of them to begin with. Selling it was one of my top 5 most regretted knife transactions I ever made.

With the lack of a Lanyard hole or clip in most of the Dyad models I sure hope that they remedy that if they ever do go ahead with a SALT Dyad. They don't have to do it in H-1 because frankly from what I've heard of the TUSK model I would more than welcome a Salt Dyad with LC200N which is the nitrogen based steel that they used on the TUSK model. But my most favorite is definitely the big C-44 version>> when I EDC one of my DYAD models that's usually the one I go with. It's truly like having 3 knives in one.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have both the Micro Dyads, all four of the FRN Dyad Jrs, the Micarata Mini Dyad, and an original C44 Dyad that yablanowitz shuffled the PE and SE sub-assemblies around to make it left handed. That last is the only one I carry, because the others are all "wrong handed" for me. Would love to see a left handed version of the Micro.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've two-
The full size Sprint (which is especially lovely with the pale G10) and the Jnr in Micarta
I'd love to find a jigged bone Micro too.

A H1 would interest me a deal....
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I like the C44 a lot, but the C39 and the C112 are both too small for me.
The Dyad is one of my most used Spydies. I've polished the blades last year, so they look like new.
The Micarta has developed some nice patina and character over the years.

Wish they had made the Dyad with a different steel, though.
The ATS-55 from the Golden Age was always somewhat disappointing for me.
Let's add some pics:

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is one that I've really struggled with wanting but not buying. I love the idea, but the ergos of the second blade being closed in the handle bugs me. It also carries pretty high in the pocket with the mid mounted pocket clip. I would love to see an updated version that's designed more like the Nilakka, in that the blades are fully enclosed in the handle when closed, more like a traditional multi blade knife, but then give it scale cutouts like the Nilakka has to allow thumb hole access. That would be a home run for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:I like the C44 a lot, but the C39 and the C112 are both too small for me.
The Dyad is one of my most used Spydies. I've polished the blades last year, so they look like new.
The Micarta has developed some nice patina and character over the years.

Wish they had made the Dyad with a different steel, though.
The ATS-55 from the Golden Age was always somewhat disappointing for me.
Well "Marcus" I'm just a bit surprised to hear that you didn't like ATS-55 blade steel because I've certainly kept my share of ATS-55 blades from the late 90s/early 2000s. Actually I liked ATS-55 so well back when it was in new folders>>that I thought it was three times better than GIN-1 or even AUS-8 for that matter. Another item of interest is that I've always found ATS-55 to be a great steel for Spyderedges>> The stainless RESCUE model which had ATS-55 is my all time favorite of the RESCUE Spyders. That's certainly one you need in your GOLDEN ERA line up ;) I've presently got the clip point blade on my C-44 so sharp that it would compete well with one of the newer blade steels>> i'm confident of it. Maybe you just got one with a bad heat treatment?

Don't get me wrong because the steel that followed ATS-55 was VG-10 which I do like considerably better. But I still have at least 5 ATS-55 USERs I carry from time to time. The only gripe I have on any of the DYaD models. Excellent pics of vintage GOLDEN ERA blades as usual my friend :cool:

The sheepsfoot blade with the slight protruding, convex belly is truly one superb Spyderedged blade>> actually one of Spyderco's best SE blades IMO.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote: Well "Marcus" I'm just a bit surprised to hear that you didn't like ATS-55 blade steel because I've certainly kept my share of ATS-55 blades from the late 90s/early 2000s.
Joe, my friend, don't get me wrong.
The ATS-55 is an excellent steel and AFAIR it was made exclusively for Spyderco by Hitachi Metals.
It indeed outperfoms the Gingami-1 and the AUS-8 from the 90s, but from my experience it is inferior to the ATS-34 from the GOLDEN ERA.
The Jess Horn, the Klötzli Walker, the original "R", the Salsa Titanium and the Wegners come to mind, the ATS-34 is excellent in all the cases.
IMO some of the classics would be even better with the ATS-34 instead of the ATS-55.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: Well "Marcus" I'm just a bit surprised to hear that you didn't like ATS-55 blade steel because I've certainly kept my share of ATS-55 blades from the late 90s/early 2000s.
Joe, my friend, don't get me wrong.
The ATS-55 is an excellent steel and AFAIR it was made exclusively for Spyderco by Hitachi Metals.
It indeed outperfoms the Gingami-1 and the AUS-8 from the 90s, but from my experience it is inferior to the ATS-34 from the GOLDEN ERA.
The Jess Horn, the Klötzli Walker, the original "R", the Salsa Titanium and the Wegners come to mind, the ATS-34 is excellent in all the cases.
IMO some of the classics would be even better with the ATS-34 instead of the ATS-55.
Well I'll tell you this my friend>> If and when they do anymore DYAD models I do want them done in a newer/better blade steel and not go back to blade steels of the past. Whether it be H-1 which we know is a completely different animal all together or if they go with something exotic, new or something that is currently high on the list at this time. I would like to see a DYAD in one of the more popular steels currently used>> oh I could live with another VG-10 Dyad but I think it's high time to move up rather than down or sideways.

But a Marine grade DYAD like H-1 or LC200N just makes perfect sense and the latter makes even more sense with the success that they've had with the TUSK model which is geared for marine use and harsh environments.

But commenting on your comparison with ATS-34 is indeed very interesting because Spyderco did use ATS-34 on their most premium models>> with that being said they must have known something the rest of us were not aware of. It is also interesting that Spyderco as far as I know was the only commercial, American knife company that used ATS-55 which I always thought rather strange :confused: And the ATS-55 Era didn't last long at all and possibly for a very good reason>> excellent points you make Marcus ;)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Evil D wrote:This is one that I've really struggled with wanting but not buying. I love the idea, but the ergos of the second blade being closed in the handle bugs me. It also carries pretty high in the pocket with the mid mounted pocket clip.
That about sums up my feelings. I have the smaller sprint run version in blue but it doesn't get much pocket time. I would rather carry two knives and choose which ones will fit my tasks rather than deal with the ergonomic issues. Enough would have to change with the Dyad model to make it attractive to me that it would be highly unlikely to ever see one that interested me.

Has the Tusk been successful? I think it is a fantastic specialized design but rarely see any discussion of it.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote:But a Marine grade DYAD like H-1 or LC200N just makes perfect sense and the latter makes even more sense with the success that they've had with the TUSK model which is geared for marine use and harsh environments.
You've nailed it, Joe!

Any Dyad with a H-1 steel would be awesome.
I'm not entirely convinced of the H-1 in plain edge due it's relativ low edge retention though, but in serrated edge it is excellent.
As a true work-hardening steel the H-1 is able to show it's full potential only in serrated edge.

Personally, I would prefer the LC200N for a Marine grade Dyad.
The LC200N is somewhat exotic for Spyderco's standards. I'd like to share some facts about this steel which are perhaps lesser known in the U.S.
The whole concept was developed in the 90s by the German company "FAG Kugelfischer" as a highly corrosion resistant steel for their super precision roller bearings.
They could show that it's 100 times more corrosion resistant than 440C which in itself is not very sensitive to rust.
"FAG Kugelfischer" sold this steel under their trade name "Cronidur 30" and until this day Böker in Solingen/Germany manufactures knives with this steel.
The concept became the German standard #1.4108 and the LC200N can also be purchased from Böhler under their trade name N360.
It is no problem to heat treat the "Cronidur 30" to HRC-values of 58 and above, so I think that it would be a better choice for plain edge blades than H-1.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

akaAK wrote:
Evil D wrote:This is one that I've really struggled with wanting but not buying. I love the idea, but the ergos of the second blade being closed in the handle bugs me. It also carries pretty high in the pocket with the mid mounted pocket clip.
That about sums up my feelings. I have the smaller sprint run version in blue but it doesn't get much pocket time. I would rather carry two knives and choose which ones will fit my tasks rather than deal with the ergonomic issues. Enough would have to change with the Dyad model to make it attractive to me that it would be highly unlikely to ever see one that interested me.

Has the Tusk been successful? I think it is a fantastic specialized design but rarely see any discussion of it.
You raise a good point regarding the TUSK model>> because it is a highly specialized folding knife>> but don't lose sight of the fact that almost half of all the knives Spyderco markets and sells are "specialty knives" of some sort. I do believe that in due time the TUSK will take off on the sales charts.

Getting back to the DYAD I couldn't agree with you more that the DYAD model could use some modifications. My biggest gripe of the DYAD is that they don't as of yet have a decent, reliable lanyard system. For a double bladed model like the DYAD which makes it a great selection for the fishing and marine sector the market it's just absolutely necessary to have it in a lanyard for prevention of keeping it from falling overboard :eek: Even in spite of that I'm finding that lanyards have viable applications for working knives in particular. I'm completely open to consider any improvements for the DYAD model because a double bladed Spyder has huge potential for all kinds of working people who need both plain edge and Spyderedge.

And for my good pal The DEACON and other lefties in the group I do eventually hope that they offer up a left handed version of the Dyad model.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:This is one that I've really struggled with wanting but not buying. I love the idea, but the ergos of the second blade being closed in the handle bugs me. It also carries pretty high in the pocket with the mid mounted pocket clip. I would love to see an updated version that's designed more like the Nilakka, in that the blades are fully enclosed in the handle when closed, more like a traditional multi blade knife, but then give it scale cutouts like the Nilakka has to allow thumb hole access. That would be a home run for me.
Sure, the Dyad's "extra blade" does make prolonged use less comfortable than it would be using a knife like the Stretch where you have a single blade in a handle with excellent ergonomics. Still, "IRL" how often is that really an issue? Despite my preference for knives with great ergos, the sad fact is that 99% of my folding knife usage can be summed up as: remove knife from pocket, open, make a cut (maybe two), close, put back in pocket. For those times, ergos really don't matter very much.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
paladin

Post by paladin »

I love the novelty of a multi-bladed Spyderco...that's why I jumped on the original Micarta ATS-55, and the pearl & jigged bone micro-dyads....as for use, I carried the mini for a year or so and found the PE blade really useful for most tasks...

Got knocked out of my pocket by the ZDP-Caly Jr., which in turn got supplanted a Gray FRN VG10 CalyJr....

The VG10 CalyJr. has held the title since and takes on all challengers...who wants a shot at the title? ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Evil D wrote:This is one that I've really struggled with wanting but not buying. I love the idea, but the ergos of the second blade being closed in the handle bugs me. It also carries pretty high in the pocket with the mid mounted pocket clip. I would love to see an updated version that's designed more like the Nilakka, in that the blades are fully enclosed in the handle when closed, more like a traditional multi blade knife, but then give it scale cutouts like the Nilakka has to allow thumb hole access. That would be a home run for me.
Sure, the Dyad's "extra blade" does make prolonged use less comfortable than it would be using a knife like the Stretch where you have a single blade in a handle with excellent ergonomics. Still, "IRL" how often is that really an issue? Despite my preference for knives with great ergos, the sad fact is that 99% of my folding knife usage can be summed up as: remove knife from pocket, open, make a cut (maybe two), close, put back in pocket. For those times, ergos really don't matter very much.
Yeah I see what you're saying, but that applies to so many situations in life where that 1% is the only reason we have or do something...like all the horsepower in my car, I don't use it 100% of the time, the gun I carry will hopefully never be used for what I carry it for, etc etc. I don't often use a knife so hard that hot spots become an issue, but I like knowing that it won't be an issue when the time arises.

I mean, on this note, what's the percentage of actually needing that second blade anyway?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David