Liner lock longevity?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
can't freehand

Liner lock longevity?

Post by can't freehand »

Only experience is with non-liner locks. Anyone here ever wore out their military, or noticed gradual slack from wear? I've grown fond of the Nilakka and its gigantic liner design.
SpyderNut

Re: Liner lock longevity?

Post by SpyderNut »

I've never worn-out a Liner Lock per se, but some LL's will develop up and down blade play over time. For instance, my old Starmate (approximately 14 years old) displays a very slight amount of play when locked. A lot depends on how the knife was maintained and how it was used. A knife with a LL that is snapped open hard many times may eventually develop play. Knifemaker Bob Terzuola (and later Spyderco) began to grind a radius on the blade's lock face (in lieu of a flat edge) that helped prevent blade-bind and play. Bob T recommended about .060"-.090" of lock bar contact on the blade's tang, which I've found to be very helpful in reducing play on LL's. Finally, I like to have my liners on LL's around .062" or thicker which seems to help "beef things up" and prevents play.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'm going out on a limb on this but I'd say the liner lock on the gb1 is probably the strongest of any production knife I have handled, that knife is a tank. My cruwear millie is also very solid, carry it a lot and never had an issue. Spyderco make great locks! :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My large Wegner is almost over all the way, and I never used it that much. Not a fan of liner locks, nor do I trust them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

any liner lock will eventually wear to the other side, but that could take decades, plus I think any decent company would replace it.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I think I will need a thumb joint replacement before I wear out a Spyderco liner lock.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I've had one LinerLock wear out on me, but it was a Ti liner from a different brand.

I have several Spyderco LinerLocks, and all of them are still alive and kicking. I've had my Tenacious for a decade now, and it is still solid. Even the Ti liner on my Rubicon has held up beautifully, and I've flipped that thing a LOT over the last year.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I've used my BG-42 Military a lot, and it's almost in the same location as when I first purchased it.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

My Resilience wore in a bit but after settling down, no further. GB1 is also the same.
The Tenacious engaged further, about 60% but not budge over also.
Chris :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been exclusively EDCing my M390 Military model since July of last summer and believe me I've used it probably more than any other EDC I've had for the past 15 years. The M390 Military model was slightly used when I got the folder in a trade last summer and it still locks up as tight as it did the day I got it. I don't anticipate the liner lock ever wearing out. I've always thought for years that liner locks generally get a bum rap.

I also had a Benchmade Boguszewski Spike model 640 for many, many years which I EDCed off and on for almost 18 years before the knife came up missing>> and the liner lock on it never failed nor did it ever show any significant wear. I realize that the liner lock is certainly not the very best locking system out there but liner locks made by Spyderco and a couple of other top notch companies would probably never fail in normal use.

Spyderco's worst locking system would probably last most of us a lifetime IMO. If you're extremely dependent on a locking system or worried about failure then my advice is to just simply go with a fixed blade.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

My most used Military hasn't moved noticeably in the about 10 years I've had it. I do have an old C42 Viele that has moved all the way over, but that liner lock design isn't as good as on the Military.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

But IF you had to for some reason, stab with your folder, and hit solid objects, would you feel confident in your liner lock? Not me, unless they all had the roto block thing (or whatever it's called). I will admit, my Milli seems pretty solid, but I just don't, as a rule like a liner lock. They're okay on smaller knives, like the Cat I have.

I guess I'm just cranky that most new models are liner/frame locks. To each their own.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:But IF you had to for some reason, stab with your folder, and hit solid objects, would you feel confident in your liner lock? Not me, unless they all had the roto block thing (or whatever it's called). I will admit, my Milli seems pretty solid, but I just don't, as a rule like a liner lock. They're okay on smaller knives, like the Cat I have.

I guess I'm just cranky that most new models are liner/frame locks. To each their own.
Imagine a Millie with a back lock! :eek: :)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Never had a liner lock wear out or fail on me. Anything is possible but it's just not on my list of concerning perils.

Once I give up driving and using stairs it will slide up a few danger notches :).
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Yea...I posted more than a year ago I would like something like that with budget steel, micarta and beefier tip. Would be interesting for sure.

Imagine a Millie with a back lock! :eek: :)[/quote]
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Some how the awesomeness that is the liner lock has become unappreciated, kinda like s30v.

The knife that I've carried the most in my life, a Benchmade 330 that I received as a gift 18 years ago, still locks up like new. And that's a thin titanium interface directly on the blade.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Lol is it April 1st already?

Liner lock wearing out, you guys make me laugh.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

I have a liner lock in my collection that is 16 or so years old and has had the living crap beat out of it and it still locks up like new with zero play. I know the feeling of not wanting to tear up a knife but I wouldn't worry about the lock failing without trying to break it.

The Nilakka is getting near the top of my must buy list.
"Only a man who has faced down death can truly appreciate life"
Sam Golson 2005
" A sharp blade is a good indicator of a sharp mind"

Bearded Scout 2016
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

When you buy a Military (I've owned three Liner Lock versions), the lock will wear in slightly, probably half a millimeter or so. After that point it'll stay there for years with normal use.
However, if you push on the knife hard, like cutting multiple layers of stiff cardboard with a glue stained blade, it will push some things around and make the lock travel a little more.
Of course, spine-whacks will defeat almost any lock.
palonej

Post by palonej »

My first liner lock is a Cruwear Millie. I have beat on that thing more than any other knife I have and it hasn't moved at all. Locks up tight with no blade play in any direction at all.
If you spend more that ~ $7 on a knife with a liner lock I think you'll be fine.
Joe