Perrin PPT Scales White-ish Tint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MechEng_5

Perrin PPT Scales White-ish Tint

Post by MechEng_5 »

Has anyone else had the issue with their Perrin PPT scales having a white-ish fade going on with them? I have only carried this knife twice and it seems to be a lot lighter than when I got it. Is there something I can do to combat this? I did try wiping the scales down with a damp towl but it went right back. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Perrin PPT Scales White-ish Tint

Post by Liquid Cobra »

MechEng_5 wrote:Has anyone else had the issue with their Perrin PPT scales having a white-ish fade going on with them? I have only carried this knife twice and it seems to be a lot lighter than when I got it. Is there something I can do to combat this? I did try wiping the scales down with a damp towl but it went right back. Thanks in advance for any responses.
I posted this very same question months back but I never got an answer. I figured I was the only one to experience the problem.

A few weeks ago it was bugging me again so I started thinking about how to fix it again. I guess the scales were getting dried out or something. I decided to apply some nano-oil to the scales themselves. Just rubbed it on with my hands and then wiped them clean with a towel. They went back to being nice and black but didn't feel oily, the scales must have absorbed some of the oil.

So far they're still black. If it starts to get white again I'll just repeat the process. Hope this helps.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MechEng_5

Post by MechEng_5 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
MechEng_5 wrote:Has anyone else had the issue with their Perrin PPT scales having a white-ish fade going on with them? I have only carried this knife twice and it seems to be a lot lighter than when I got it. Is there something I can do to combat this? I did try wiping the scales down with a damp towl but it went right back. Thanks in advance for any responses.
I posted this very same question months back but I never got an answer. I figured I was the only one to experience the problem.

A few weeks ago it was bugging me again so I started thinking about how to fix it again. I guess the scales were getting dried out or something. I decided to apply some nano-oil to the scales themselves. Just rubbed it on with my hands and then wiped them clean with a towel. They went back to being nice and black but didn't feel oily, the scales must have absorbed some of the oil.

So far they're still black. If it starts to get white again I'll just repeat the process. Hope this helps.
Thanks your Liquid Cobra this is helpful. I searched for other threads like this but didn't see any. I will try some nano-oil.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

G-10 can go white or lose color intensity if it's dried out a little too much. I use a bit of mineral oil to bring my G-10 back to full color.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Wax lasts a bit longer than oil, but both work well. Something food safe like mineral oil would probably be the best idea if using oil.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Any oil should do, it should be most likely to occur on more shaped handles like these. I do some bone and wood carving and also like to try stuff in micarta and G10, have seen similar stuff on carvings I did in G10. Seems like the glassfiber 'sticking out' on the edges where it get's cut by carving.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Yeah, my LionSpy also gets a little white in the "valleys" of the texturing. The material turning white seems to be more prone on the textured pieces as Joris pointed out.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Same as automobile plastics, I guess.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Use mineral oil not Nano-oil! Mineral oil is non-toxic and food safe, Nano-oil certainly is not. Not to mention how vastly cheaper mineral oil is...

I work with G10 fairly often and always finish the scales with a thorough water rinse, soak in mineral oil, rinse again and blot dry. It's incredible how much it brings the color out!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Use mineral oil not Nano-oil! Mineral oil is non-toxic and food safe, Nano-oil certainly is not. Not to mention how vastly cheaper mineral oil is...

I work with G10 fairly often and always finish the scales with a thorough water rinse, soak in mineral oil, rinse again and blot dry. It's incredible how much it brings the color out!
This is a good point, I never thought of that. I guess since the PPT is self defence blade food prep never came to mind.

I'll have to add mineral oil to my knife kit. Thanks radioactive!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sure thing LC, I'm here to help :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King