Am I missing out on a Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyder_happy

Am I missing out on a Delica?

Post by spyder_happy »

Hey Spyderco Forum,

Sometime last week I woke up and thought 'I need more spyder edge'. So I started to shop around a bit and found that the Endura / Delica 4 line doesn't seem to have a FFG/SE option available. Was this never offered? I love my hap40 Endura, partly because of the thin grind. I know there are options for a full SE flat grind, namely the native 5 light weight, but the more I think about it this seems like a easy option to offer. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Spyder_Happy
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
Evil D

Re: Am I missing out on a Delica?

Post by Evil D »

It has in the past but I believe the only SE option currently available for a Delica is combo edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Evil D wrote:It has in the past but I believe the only SE option currently available for a Delica is combo edge.
The current saber ground D4 is available in all three edge configurations (PE, CE, SE). The FFG models the OP is asking about have only ever been available in PE.

As for the reason that the FFG models aren't available in full Spyderedge, I think that there just may not be a huge advantage to it. Due to the way serrations are designed to cut, I don't think that having them on the FFG blade would offer any distinct advantage over the saber grind in full Spyderedge. FFG knives available in full Spyderedge like the N5 lightweight don't have a saber grind option like the D4 does.
Last edited by ASmitty on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I just now checked Spyderco's website and found that they still offer the full SE Delica in VG-10 (black FRN):
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details ... nomobile=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also choose CE, if you prefer. Hope this helps!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ASmitty wrote:
As for the reason that the FFG models aren't available in full Spyderedge, I think that there just may not be a huge advantage to it. Due to the way serrations are designed to cut, I don't think that having them on the FFG blade would offer any distinct advantage over the saber grind in full Spyderedge. FFG knives available in full Spyderedge like the N5 lightweight don't have a saber grind option like the D4 does.

Weeeell, I gotta disagree with ya there. The same slicing laws that apply to PE blades also apply to SE. So, if you're cutting something rigid like double wall corrugated, the SE/FFG is going to easily out perform the saber ground version. This was why I scoured the earth trying to find a full SE Stretch after they went disco.

But, just like anything else it really depends on what you're cutting.
~David
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Evil D wrote:
ASmitty wrote:

Weeeell, I gotta disagree with ya there. The same slicing laws that apply to PE blades also apply to SE. So, if you're cutting something rigid like double wall corrugated, the SE/FFG is going to easily out perform the saber ground version. This was why I scoured the earth trying to find a full SE Stretch after they went disco.

I'm sure you're right. I don't spend a lot of time slicing large pieces of rigid material, so I don't have much experience with the differences. However, that's a use case that probably doesn't justify stocking the FFG Delica in the additional variations when there are FFG Spyderedge blades on other models.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

love the SE/CE FFG's, hope there will be more of them around someday again.
at least I've got the Military and Stretch in CE, no FFG SE yet but my Pacific Salt keeps me quite happy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ASmitty wrote:
Evil D wrote:
ASmitty wrote:

I'm sure you're right. I don't spend a lot of time slicing large pieces of rigid material, so I don't have much experience with the differences. However, that's a use case that probably doesn't justify stocking the FFG Delica in the additional variations when there are FFG Spyderedge blades on other models.
It's likely due to the unfortunate decline in SE interest in general, the same as why we don't see full SE variants of popular models like we used to.
~David
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Yeah, as Evil D pointed out the ffg blade feels like it glides through certain mediums where as the saber grind seems to try to shove it aside. I observed this first hand between my hap40 and vg-10 saber grind endura 4's. Ah well one can hope, maybe a silly sprint for some of us. As a side note, anyone have one of the new dlc blacked out delicas in CE? the pictures almost look like they are hollow ground?
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The hollow ground SS Delica is available in full Spyderedge and the Salt1 is essentially a Delica3 which is also available in fully serrated H1.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have an old Delica full SE in ZDP-189. It is a wicked little slicer.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Evil D wrote:
ASmitty wrote:

Agreed, for the reason that both FFG and full serration are present on the highly demanded Natives and Manixes. Actually serrated FFG knives do have their advantage towards rigid and/or fabric-rich tasks, where more cutting edge and stronger blade belly are both required. And I do know that a considerable group of Native and Manix owners use them as pairing knives.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Here's a few options if you want both FFG and full serration edge on the same Spyderco folding knife:
Manbug Lightweight MBKS http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-M ... ack--11540
Police 3 C07GS3 http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Police-G10--3655 (Didn't see that on the 2016 catalog but BHQ is selling it)
Tenacious C122GS http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-TENACIOUS--3061
Dragonfly 2 C28SBK2 http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-D ... -FRN--7742
Native 5 Light weight C41SBK5 http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-N ... ack--29520
[My apologies, there are only partially serrated FFG Manix2s right now]
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe