Popular Spyders For the H-1 Salt Series?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Popular Spyders For the H-1 Salt Series?

Post by JD Spydo »

I did a thread similar to this one about a couple of years ago but since then a lot of new models have come forth and I'm curious to see what answers I will get this second go around. My question is this>> what popular Spyderco folders or fixed blades that are in the main line up that you all would like to see also made and offered in the H-1 Salt Series? Or I'll even add this to the question>> Would also like to even see some Spyderco folder & fixed blade models in the other nitrogen based steel i.e. LC200N as well?

For years I've thought that the original FB05 Temperance 1 model would be perfect for the H-1 Salt Series for many reasons. First of all the TEMPERANCE 1 is one of the very few fixed blades that Spyderco offered in PE & SE both. It would make an affordable outdoor fixed blade and give many of the newer Spyderheads the chance to see how great that older model fixed blade is for multiple uses and especially outdoor uses. Also there are two folders I would also love to see in the H-1 Salt Series and those are the C-60 Ayoob in PE & SE and the older, discontinued SUPERHAWK Hawkbill model in PE & SE in H-1 or LC200N.

I never thought that the SUPERHAWK ever got the respect it deserved particularly because it was never was offered in Spyderedge. Being that H-1 is a great steel for Spyderedges it would be a great way to give many of these models a second chance. Not to mention every Hawkbill they have put in the H-1 Salt Series has been a great blade i. e. The TASMAN & SPYDERHAWK. So what models would you all like to see in the H-1 Salt Series or LC200N?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Popular Spyders For the H-1 Salt Series?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Dyad Jr. !!!

It just makes sense.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
brj

Post by brj »

Well, first & foremost the Military. Yellow G-10, no support liner, all-Ti hardware, ideally H1 but LC200N would work just the same, Full SE as an option. The idea is not new and has surfaced several times before, but this would definitely be one dream come true (as in I'd buy multiples).

Not so popular maybe but to me a no-brainer, the Remote Release. The Snap-It has made it to the lineup, I'm guessing the RR can't be far behind.

And last but not least, I'd love to see the reverse hawkbill Swick in H1 (discussed some 10 years ago if my memory serves) finally making it to production.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Flatiron!!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dodge wrote:Flatiron!!
Wow!! Brother Dodge I haven't heard that one mentioned in quite some time :cool: But I can't say I disagree with you either.. I remember that one from the old "IRONSTONE" days ;) There were actually a few models from the "SOLO" and "G-Sakai" line up from that time period that I've thought about.

OK "BFK" as far as the Dyad Junior goes you bet I'm all for it 1000%>> however there is one big hurdle :( They talked about a mid sized H-1 Salt Dyad about 2 to 3 years ago and I heard from the company that the production costs were too high or something to that effect. But an H-1 or LC200N Dyad would be super cool for me. I've been a die-hard DYAD fan ever since they came out.

And "BRJ" I would absolutely love a Salt version of the Military just like you described but only if they would also offer it up in Spyderedge :cool: And the REMOTE RELEASE has always been my favorite of the two mountain climber knives of days gone by. I always had more confidence in that design over the SNAP IT and they both are going to be great in the H-1 Salt line up.
brj

Post by brj »

JD Spydo wrote:the REMOTE RELEASE has always been my favorite of the two mountain climber knives of days gone by.
Yeah, same here. I'll most likely snag a snap-ip as well, but I'll keep my eyes open for the RR ;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Native5 LW?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Dyad Jr. !!!

It just makes sense.
+1000

I heartily concur. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:

It just makes sense.
+1000

Hey guys there isn't a bigger Dyad fan than I am. And believe me I would also like the see a Dyad Jr. Salt and a C-44 Dyad Salt too. But Spyderco themselves said it wasn't feasible because of production costs. And to the best of my memory that was the reason they didn't go through with it the first time. I heard that they even had prototypes of a mid sized H-1 Dyad. It was bad news when I heard it.

There are so many of the classic Spyderco models I would like to see brought back in the Salt Series. It's going to be interesting to see how the TUSK model goes over in the next year or so. Because I believe if it does well at the box office it will open the doors for more H-1 blades.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

It just makes sense.
+1000

Hey guys there isn't a bigger Dyad fan than I am. And believe me I would also like the see a Dyad Jr. Salt and a C-44 Dyad Salt too. But Spyderco themselves said it wasn't feasible because of production costs. And to the best of my memory that was the reason they didn't go through with it the first time. I heard that they even had prototypes of a mid sized H-1 Dyad. It was bad news when I heard it.

There are so many of the classic Spyderco models I would like to see brought back in the Salt Series. It's going to be interesting to see how the TUSK model goes over in the next year or so. Because I believe if it does well at the box office it will open the doors for more H-1 blades.
Okay, but how about a Dyad Jr. In LC200N instead? :D :D :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A Dyad would be awesome, but I'd also really like to see the Manix 2 Lightweight get the Salt treatment. Put a ceramic ball in it instead of steel, and I'm sure there are stainless springs out there that can live in salt water.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:A Dyad would be awesome, but I'd also really like to see the Manix 2 Lightweight get the Salt treatment. Put a ceramic ball in it instead of steel, and I'm sure there are stainless springs out there that can live in salt water.
I'm kind of surprised that they haven't introduced something like the MANIX 2 or a PARA2 in the Salt Series. I still like BRJ's idea of a full blown C-36 Military model in the SALT SERIES. Because when you think about it there isn't a really beefy folder like it in the entire series.

Until they tell me why it can't be done I'll still be beating the drum for a TEMP 1 fixed blade in either H-1 or LC200N. It really baffles me as to why the mid sized Dyad they had 2 to 3 years ago was cost prohibitive :confused: . Because even if Spyderco charged a premium price for it I still think it would sell well particularly for marine/fishing sector of the market.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I've made this request before but I'll throw it in here. I would like to see Spyderco design a frn lock back modeled after the Military. Same size, blade shape and handle, just in an frn backlock (with 4-way clip). Made in japan with vg10/zdp/hap40/H1, or made in USA with s30v/s110v/m4/lc200n...either route would be great IMHO. This could be sold as a lined model like the Endura/Delica and could be added to the Salt line in a linerless form. I suppose the same could be done with the pm2 model but it is the Millie that interests me more for the salt line.

-I'm sure the powers that be roll their eyes at some of the "build me my fantasy knife" requests we make but its hard to believe that this idea would not be a big seller and worth the effort and money that would be required for design, tooling and molds.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I always thought that a FB11 Kumo with a H-1 blade would make a very nice Sprint Run.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

MarcusH wrote:I always thought that a FB11 Kumo with a H-1 blade would make a very nice Sprint Run.
That is funny I was thinking the same thing the other day. My only concern on this was the handle? Maybe a G10 handle?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, I've made this request before but I'll throw it in here. I would like to see Spyderco design a frn lock back modeled after the Military. Same size, blade shape and handle, just in an frn backlock (with 4-way clip). Made in japan with vg10/zdp/hap40/H1, or made in USA with s30v/s110v/m4/lc200n...either route would be great IMHO. This could be sold as a lined model like the Endura/Delica and could be added to the Salt line in a linerless form. I suppose the same could be done with the pm2 model but it is the Millie that interests me more for the salt line.

-I'm sure the powers that be roll their eyes at some of the "build me my fantasy knife" requests we make but its hard to believe that this idea would not be a big seller and worth the effort and money that would be required for design, tooling and molds.
very big +1 definitely with the request for the PM2 in a similar set up after (or before) the Military in this set up becomes a major seller. :)
(should probably stick to good habits and start with the Mili before the PM joins it)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, I've made this request before but I'll throw it in here. I would like to see Spyderco design a frn lock back modeled after the Military. Same size, blade shape and handle, just in an frn backlock (with 4-way clip). Made in japan with vg10/zdp/hap40/H1, or made in USA with s30v/s110v/m4/lc200n...either route would be great IMHO. This could be sold as a lined model like the Endura/Delica and could be added to the Salt line in a linerless form. I suppose the same could be done with the pm2 model but it is the Millie that interests me more for the salt line.

You and me both. I think I've posted about that being one of my ideal knives before too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think any hope of this will likely come with the Military 2, since it looks like the lock action may be similar to the back lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Evil D wrote:

I think any hope of this will likely come with the Military 2, since it looks like the lock action may be similar to the back lock.
*Fingers crossed* I wish the leftie Militarys were still in production.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SURF I'm with you about 98% on everything you suggested>> although I would like to keep it with a nitrogen based steel if we want to designate it for marine and/or salt water usage>> or use in harsh environments where corrosion resistance is at a premium. The locking system sounds good because I've always sort of liked the lockback myself because I was just doing a few things with my H-1 Spyderhawk yesterday and every time I've used it I have never had any problems with the lockback locking system>> and trust me I've been in some pretty hostile working conditions with all three of my "USER" Spyderhawks and several of the other Spyders I have with lockback locking systems.

Titanium liners I truly think should be a "MUST HAVE" on a folder of this caliber for a lot of different reasons>> not only the corrosion resistance factor but for added strength as well. But for the most part I think we're on the very same page and the main thrust is to have a C-36 Military model for harsh environments. Just working out minor details that's all>> and I'm sure some of the rest of you could add more vital suggestions for proposing a bladed beast of that nature :cool:
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.