Selling used Spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knutty

Selling used Spydies

Post by Knutty »

I've decided to unload several of the knives I never use. I'd appreciate advice on how best to do this.

I'm not aware of any specific forum rule banning sales here in this forum, but common sense tells me I should not do so. I'm not willing to pay a fee to sell on another forum, either.

I've sold on Amazon before, and I don't think I ever will again. I am an honest person and I despise dealing with dishonest idiot buyers, like the fool who bought a knife from me, used it, damaged it, then forced me to take it back.

It would probably be good to sell to knife enthusiasts. Someone who knows what to expect and who isn't just wasting my time and sanity, and preferably who has a reputation as being trustworthy.

I don't know. I'm open to advice.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
zhyla

Re: Selling used Spydies

Post by zhyla »

It's forbidden here.

If you don't want to deal with eBay there's Blade Forums classified section and the knife_swap subreddit.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Selling is relatively safe and easy on Blade Forums. I've bought many knives there. There are also some specific Spyderco sales facebook groups. I've had some good deals there too.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yeah, Bladeforums is probably your best bet.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

+3 for the Exchange, I have never sold there but have bought many with no complaints, always got what was advertised and some good deals to boot.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I would have to pay at least $30 to sell on BladeForums, and I'm just not going to do that. I will look into the other suggestions, though. Thanks.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Overall I've had good luck selling on eBay for years with few issues. However, the fees suck. I'm not sure how the Exchange fees work, but $30 might actually be less than the percent that eBay (or Amazon) takes depending on the volume and value of what you sell.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

abbazaba wrote:Overall I've had good luck selling on eBay for years with few issues. However, the fees suck. I'm not sure how the Exchange fees work, but $30 might actually be less than the percent that eBay (or Amazon) takes depending on the volume and value of what you sell.
It would be.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

The BF Exchange is the way to go. If you sell $300 worth of product on eBay you will have paid enough fees to have a BF membership for a year.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

If you're determined not to pay a small fee, you could try jerzeedevil or cpfmarketplace.
:bug-red-white
palonej

Post by palonej »

$30 for the year and more peace of mind.....id say BF is worth it.
You'll get no less than 200 - 400 views a day from knife knuts.
I acquired 17 knives in the last few months and each transaction was a pleasure.
I'd say that's your best bet.
Good luck!
Joe
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Even before I fell down the Spyderhole, I bought and sold on eBay and always had a good experience. They make it very easy to buy and sell. A couple of days ago I listed a Spyder and I'm already pleased with how the bidding is going.

There are features eBay has that set it apart. For one, prospective buyers can save searches and receive notifications. For example, if a seller lists a Spyderco Laguiole, any buyer looking for one who has set up notification will receive an e-mail informing them of the new listing. That works 24/7. Secondly, the rating system provides some assurance about the other party with whom you are dealing. And eBay facilitates safe payment through PayPal and helps with shipping. eBay earns their commission, in my view.

As for Blade Forum, today I had my heart broken. The seller had failed to close a thread and the item I wanted was not available.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MechEng_5

Post by MechEng_5 »

I'd be interested to see what you do have once you have them listed somewhere.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like the guys are recommending>> Get a GOLD Membership on bladeforums.com and then check out the "Exchange" section of the forum. You can also trade your unwanted Spyders on BLADEFORUMS. With a GOLD Membership you can sell or trade at BF. I've sold and traded knives over the years at BLADEFORUMS and I've had excellent results overall. I highly prefer bladeforums.com over fleabay. At one time I thought Ebay was a great place for buying and selling but I no longer recommend using Ebay for knife selling for many reasons.

With a GOLD Membership on bladeforums it gives you a lot of options and most all of the guys and gals with GOLD or PLATINUM memberships on Bladeforums are knife enthusiasts like we are here on Spyderco.com. I've only ever had one deal go bad on me at BF in 10 years of membership there but a moderator helped me resolve it quickly.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

+1 more for BF exchange - just bought the bullet a couple weeks ago and went gold - sold 6 folders, mostly spydies, within a day. Everything went smoothly. My only warning is that it's so easy it can readily usher in a new level of knife madness. Now that I've realized how feasible/painless the 'catch and release' turnover is, my addiction seems to have grown exponentially.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

BF's is a fairly large forum but compared to Ebay? BF's wouldn't even be a pimple on Ebays A$$. Waayy more foot traffic with thicker wallets on Ebay. Yeah they're fees suck but sometimes you just gots to do what you gots to do.

If I ever sell a Spydie I will go straight to Ebay.

Fees for selling on Evilbay; 10% to EvilBay + 3% to PayPal + shipping fees if you go with free shipping..I'd probably tack on a nominal $5 shipping fee.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ejames13 wrote:The BF Exchange is the way to go. If you sell $300 worth of product on eBay you will have paid enough fees to have a BF membership for a year.
Thanks for mentioning that because that's what ultimately drove me away from EBAY was all the exorbitant fees and hidden costs involved in their operation. Without going into a rant I'll just say that Bladeforums is a no-brainer and you'll be doing business with people of like mind. I can't speak for any of the other knife forums other than BF but I have heard good about a couple of them but be careful no matter where you end up doing your selling.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have sold and bought on eBay for years. I have a 100% seller rating because I treat my buyers like we treat one another here. Fees: well, I figure that I get access to millions of prospective buyers, within a system that provides me with handling the transaction, the shipping at a discount and protects us both. The few issues I have had as a seller and a buyer were handled well. No complaints.

If I was dealing strictly with knives I might use BF for their targeted audience. If I wanted to sell a large number of knives, I would probably use both and set up a "store" on eBay.

Frankly, I don't understand the "evilbay" moniker. Perhaps some have had an unpleasant experience and now blame the entire eBay organization. As noted above, even BF has a fee for using their service. So does eBay.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

OK I'm considering both eBay and BF. I only have experience with Amazon, but it's absolutely true that the fees can easily add up to $30 after selling just a few knives. I definitely won't be selling them on Amazon.

I'm leaning toward BF. If I had a ton to sell I might go with eBay. I've also heard horror stories about scumbag buyers ripping off sellers on eBay. I guess that can happen anywhere.

I do feel more comfortable selling to someone on BF who has been on there for years. Not sure if the BF rules officially let me deny selling to certain buyers (i.e. if I don't feel comfortable with them), but either way I'm not going to do it.
MechEng_5

Post by MechEng_5 »

would it be against forum rules to link to his sell page once it is established?