Millie Lock Stick

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skellz

Millie Lock Stick

Post by Skellz »

I have a question for you guys,

I managed to pick up a Cruwear Millie, a sprint which I've been after for ages as their rare over here in the UK. Anyway the knife is good except the lock is sticky, even when opened lightly but noticeably sticky when flicked open. Now am I right to think the lockbar is steel and not titanium?

I've stripped the knife to clean and also to gander at the innards and noticed the lockbar contact surface area has not been polished and has the same grey coating the rest of the lockbar does. Is it meant to be like this or is it worth me going over it with some micro mesh or something to try remove that grey coating to expose the metal? Would this stop it sticking so much?

I've handled other Millie's and some had a tiny amount of lock stick, but most had none.
Cheers
Sprig - Mule M390 - Military Cruwear - GB1 - GB2 - Para 2 S35VN - Delica HAP40 - Domino - PITS - Salt 1 SE
palonej

Re: Millie Lock Stick

Post by palonej »

Hey Skells!!
Big time score picking up that blade!! I scored one recently also and freakin love it!!
Before removing any material try this.....get a pencil and just kind of 'write' on the tang where the lock face contacts it. The graphite should stop the stick.
After you do it play with it a bunch to break it in.
You can also use a sharpie, but I prefer a pencil.
Good luck and how bout a pic or 2 of that beauty???
Joe
paladin

Post by paladin »

My CruMillie "squeeked" a bit when new with liner lock engage/disengage...

The liner will "self-polish" with use and (in my experience) will smooooooothen out. I thought the liner itself was steel, but I don't know that for sure. When I broke down mine & installed canvas Mic. handles I noticed the same matte finish of the liner & liner lock interface- so I'd say "perfectly normal" in that regard...

At any rate, it shouldn't be sticky to the point of irritation-- unless you have a low threshold of irritability ;) :eek:

IMHO, I like my liner locks to be a bit sticky but I realize you may not. Unfortunately, if you've already broken it down then the option of sending it back to Golden for W&R work is off the table...

In closing, I'd say, use the heck out of it and it will smooth out. Give it some time like a fine vintage wine...you have the BEST large Spyderco model available, IMHO...use it in good health! :) :spyder:
Skellz

Post by Skellz »

Thanks guys.

Yeah I am pretty picky and its not something that's a big issue its just mildly irritating. But if you guys say it's relatively normal then Ill carry on using and enjoying it. I have tried the graphite trick but it has not changed anything, however I may give the Sharpie a go and see if that works. Failing that then I'm sure as you say paladin that using it will polish the face up eventually.
Sprig - Mule M390 - Military Cruwear - GB1 - GB2 - Para 2 S35VN - Delica HAP40 - Domino - PITS - Salt 1 SE