Yet another way to choose and list your favorite Spyderco knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Yet another way to choose and list your favorite Spyderco knives.

Post by DougC-3 »

I love these threads where we list our top 3, 5, 10, etc, knives that we now own. The currently popular list-of-three thread is still going, since 2014. But it's always near impossible for me to choose, especially when it's a low number like 3. And my list might change from day to day. I notice that a lot of people, like me, would like to have several categories, like most used, most collectible, most dollar value, rarest, most necessary for self defense, and so on.

So here's an idea to force combining these different types of values to get a pure favorites list, if you'll indulge me with a brief hypothetical:
Aliens have just taken over Earth and set up dictatorial rule. They have no knife rules or restrictions, but every day they send someone around to collect one of your knives, your choice. So you soon find that you're being forced to give up your least favorite knives, one by one, and you're hoping that they'll stop soon before your top favorites are gone :eek: Also there's the stipulation that you won't ever be able to buy, sell, or trade to get back any knives you give up -- you'll just get to keep whatever you have when they decide to stop. So you quickly start scrabbling around to put your knives in some order of absolute value to you personally.

So please list however many you can decide on for now, even if it's just one or two, most favorite at top of list, and feel free to come back and list more when you decide or make corrections if you change your mind. I'm sure some of you have already made choices like this and will have the same lists as before.

Here's my starter list for now:

1) CF S90V Manix 2 XL
2) Blue Fluted Ti Millie
3) Foliage Green D2 Millie
4) Tan M4 Manix 2
5) Superleaf
6) Nishijin R
7) D'Allara Rescue
8) Foliage Green Endura 4
9) Foliage Green D2 Paramilitary
10) Brown ZDP-189 G-10 Stretch 2
11) Dark Green G-10 204P Paramilitary 2
12) Gray Cruwear Millie (backup--would have been #3 if I had no D2 Millie)
13) CF ZDP-189 Caly 3.5
14) CF Sage 3
15) BRG FRN ZDP-189 Endura 4 (backup--would have been #8 if had no G-10 Endura)
16) Dark Green G-10 S110V Forum Native 5 (sorry bh49 :eek: I'm sure I'll go through a Native phase soon & this will climb up the list.)
17) Foliage Green G-10 Delica
18) K390 Mule Team, presently with natural thin Halpern scales
19) CF CTS-XHP Chaparral
20) Gray G-10 Cruwear Manix 2 (backup--would be #4 if no M4 Manix)
21) Foliage Green G-10 Dragonfly

I'll leave it at this now -- it's too hard to figure out where to put backups, etc. I like others a lot, like the Yojimbo 2, but just don't use them as often... and it would probably be different next week.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Mako109

Re: Yet another way to choose and list your favorite Spyderco knives.

Post by Mako109 »

I have a box of 1000 Dixie plastic picnic knives which I'll now put into my "Alien Invasion Kit". That should last me 2.75 years before I have make any decisions :D
Last edited by Mako109 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mako109 wrote:I have a box of 1000 Dixie plastic picnic knives which I'll now put into my "Alien Invasion Kit". That should last me three years before I have make any decisions :D
Great idea -- hope they don't catch on to you :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

I only have five Spydies...

1) Sage 1, with a bullet!
2) Native 5 CF S110V
3) PM2 blurple, S110V
4) DF2 Salt H1
5) DF2 ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I may have some moral codes when it comes to using my knives as weapons, but not against aliens. I'll stab a little green man for trying to take my Spydies :mad:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yep, they can have all of my knives... AFTER they pry them out of my cold, dead hands. ;) :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm not fond of little green men either, except maybe the Geico gecko, but that wasn't my main point ;) I was just trying to decide which knives I really like best with no regard to money value, ability to resell, impressing other people, etc. And I'm curious as to whether these ideas would cause anybody else to re-rank their favorite knife lists. I admit this is a little esoteric :D
brj

Post by brj »

OK, I'll play (never liked them greedy little green men anyway :) )

There goes my Top 15 keepers:
- S90V & CF Military
- S90V & CF Para-Military
- JaniSong
- BG-42 & CF Military
- M390 & CF Military
- D2 & FG G10 Military
- D2 & FG G10 Para1
- Junior
- Kris
- SE Pacific Salt
- M4 & CF/Ti Military
- customized Bi-fold (reverse-S blade converted to straight)
- S30V & Orange G10 Military
- Orange Ladybug
- CTS20CP & Gray G10 Para2

After re-reading, looks more like Top 7 Millies & 3 Paras, but there ya go :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think the reason you see so many of the "which 3 would you keep" threads is because listing and prioritizing the entire collection starts to look like work. :p I've only got a dozen or so folders but its too big a job for me. :eek:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

brj wrote:OK, I'll play (never liked them greedy little green men anyway :) )

There goes my Top 15 keepers:
- S90V & CF Military
- S90V & CF Para-Military
- JaniSong
- BG-42 & CF Military
- M390 & CF Military
- D2 & FG G10 Military
- D2 & FG G10 Para1
- Junior
- Kris
- SE Pacific Salt
- M4 & CF/Ti Military
- customized Bi-fold (reverse-S blade converted to straight)
- S30V & Orange G10 Military
- Orange Ladybug
- CTS20CP & Gray G10 Para2

After re-reading, looks more like Top 7 Millies & 3 Paras, but there ya go :)
It's hard not to want to keep all the variations of your favorite two or three models instead of making sure you've got enough of the other handy shapes and sizes. That would be my major conflict in dealing with the green men :D

Looking at your collection, I'd say you would be a likely candidate for the upcoming CF 5200 Millie.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Surfingringo wrote:I think the reason you see so many of the "which 3 would you keep" threads is because listing and prioritizing the entire collection starts to look like work. :p I've only got a dozen or so folders but its too big a job for me. :eek:
I think around 5 to 10 would be the easiest for me to rank, but I got carried away and listed more, trying to cover all the bases. For me, it's really more of a loving the knife thing than really needing it, so I would tend to keep more Millies and Manixes and let the smaller stuff go in real life. I do enjoy all the list your top 5, 10, etc, threads though.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

DougC-3 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I think the reason you see so many of the "which 3 would you keep" threads is because listing and prioritizing the entire collection starts to look like work. :p I've only got a dozen or so folders but its too big a job for me. :eek:
I think around 5 to 10 would be the easiest for me to rank, but I got carried away and listed more, trying to cover all the bases. For me, it's really more of a loving the knife thing than really needing it, so I would tend to keep more Millies and Manixes and let the smaller stuff go in real life. I do enjoy all the list your top 5, 10, etc, threads though.
Oh I hear ya. I'm a grown man but I still love the kid like imagination that comes out of me in the "You're shipwrecked and you can only keep 1" threads. Haha. :p
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:I may have some moral codes when it comes to using my knives as weapons, but not against aliens. I'll stab a little green man for trying to take my Spydies :mad:
And as you Spydie-hole flick open your knife du jour, they vaporize you with their demolecularizing death ray.... or use their psychic mind control to make you cut off your own head... ;)

Well, for me, the last 3 would be CF Balances.

Ken
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would keep:

1. Military M4
2. Military S90V
3. PM2 M390
4. Gayle Bradley 1
5. Manix Cruwear
6. Stretch Superblue
7. Native 5 S110V
8. Sage 2
9. Kitchen knife 6 inch K04 SE

More or less in that order. But on top of that list is my Victorinox Alox Farmer! :eek:
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

kbuzbee wrote:
Evil D wrote:I may have some moral codes when it comes to using my knives as weapons, but not against aliens. I'll stab a little green man for trying to take my Spydies :mad:
And as you Spydie-hole flick open your knife du jour, they vaporize you with their demolecularizing death ray.... or use their psychic mind control to make you cut off your own head... ;)

Well, for me, the last 3 would be CF Balances.

Ken
Unless you're an alien yourself, I seriously doubt that you can use all three of those at once :eek: I promise that this is not a BST hint :rolleyes: :p
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DougC-3 wrote: Unless you're an alien yourself, I seriously doubt that you can use all three of those at once :eek: I promise that this is not a BST hint :rolleyes: :p
Haha, well you know, they're small....

Ken
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

kbuzbee wrote:
DougC-3 wrote: Unless you're an alien yourself, I seriously doubt that you can use all three of those at once :eek: I promise that this is not a BST hint :rolleyes: :p
Haha, well you know, they're small....

Ken
Right... I wish I had got one before they got so rare.
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

My solution:

Pick up Rock Salt.

Go to work on aliens.

Save earth from alien apocalypse.

Post NSFS (Not Safe For Squeamish) YouTube video of Rock Salt versus aliens.

Become popular, world saving hero, and retire knee deep in mansions and Lamborghinis after starring in bad action and martial arts movies and a few commercials :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DougC-3 wrote: Right... I wish I had got one before they got so rare.
I totally owe it to Paul for putting me on to this one. I would likely have passed on it. Now it's hands down my favorite knife.

Ken
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Funny, I never really thought in those terms before. My CF s90v manix and tan m4 manix are probably my rarest spydies, but they wouldn't make the keeper list with aliens confiscating. It'd have to be the s110v lw. #s 2 & 3 would be superblue caly3 then hap40 delica.