Spyderco Southard possible fake?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jalcon

Spyderco Southard possible fake?

Post by jalcon »

So I have two southard knives. One bought from Amazon, and one bought from Sports Authority. I would assume they are both legit, except when taking off the pocket clip.. Both of my pocket clips look more like the "fake pocket clip" from the photo below. The circle cutouts on the clip seem to be closer to those in fake one in size. If this is the case and I really just bought two fake knives from two separate places.. Then WOW. Fakes must REALLY be a problem. Any input?

Again below is not my photo, I just found it on another thread...

Can anyone take off their pocket clip and maybe post a picture? Thanks.

hoimin

Re: Spyderco Southard possible fake?

Post by hoimin »

Return both. Buy from distributors with the word knife/knives or blade in the name. All your various problems so far should be solved.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Yup return them both if you have any concern. I will follow thread for more pics though.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Wow. If this is the case Spyderco has a HUGE problem, lol.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

If you want to help Spyderco and work against this problem, buy from those official distributors; then you never have to worry about the fakes. Win-win.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Send them to Spyderco and they will be able to sort it all out. Sorry you are having problems. Much better Spyderco dealers out there than Amazon if you are seeking guaranteed real deal spydies.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

One came from Amazon, one came from Sports Authority. I'm interested if someone else could take a picture of their clip like in the above photo.. Both of these knives seem extremely quality. I'm a bit speechless.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Here are some pictures. Keep in mind both of these knives are exactly the same.. But the ones below happen to be the one from Sports Authority.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

One of the main things (the only thing) I thought was weird about mine was the pocket clip screws seemed larger than most pictured online.
Here is the pic on knifecenters website...

Here is picture on GPKnives..

Definitely a different in screw size. Maybe Spyderco changed it along the way?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Judging by the pictures, this Southard looks legit; but I don't have anything to compare it to on hand, so take that with a grain of salt.
Taichung etches the Spyderco logo radially. The stonewash on the blade and scales looks to be the right finish.

Again if you have any misgivings, just return them from whence they came, and purchase with confidence at an authorized dealer that specializes in cutlery.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

From what I can see it looks legit in your pictures.
I doubt the clones have grown to a point where they can replicate the stonewash on the blade and Ti, the logo, G10, etc this good...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
swigert

Post by swigert »

Looks good to me. Maybe buy from a dealer specializing in knives next time? Just so there's no doubt...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just because someone posts a photo on the internet claiming that "X" is an indicator of "something" does not make it true. Spyderco changes things all the time, sometimes for an obvious reason, sometimes for one that only makes sense at the production level. I have no way of knowing if that's the case here, but titanium is not the easiest metal to tap and larger taps don't break as easily as smaller ones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

What are the date codes on the boxes (the two-letter code on the label)? I have purchased 5 Southards so far and they absolutely changed the screws after the first year or so.

Why do I remember this? Because the custom clip maker STR had to supply a longer frame screw to attach his low-rider clip and this was only necessary for the first year's rendition of this knife. Hope that helps, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Interesting.. I don't have the box on me unfortunately bc I'm at work. I wonder if the size of the holes in the clip got slightly larger as well.. That is the true question!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I see nothing wrong with your knife. Is the first photo your knife clip with a fake that you also own, or just a picture from the web? Something minor like screw holes and screw head sizes could easily change as the builder may have to source parts from different suppliers over time. It's definitely not unusual to see very small variations in a model over time.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

araneae wrote:I see nothing wrong with your knife. Is the first photo your knife clip with a fake that you also own, or just a picture from the web? Something minor like screw holes and screw head sizes could easily change as the builder may have to source parts from different suppliers over time. It's definitely not unusual to see very small variations in a model over time.
No, the first photo is not mine..something I found on a thread on BF comparing a real and fake southard...

Makes sense that small changes like that could happen over time..
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

they look real to me.