Spyderco Emergency Spear: Lashing via Spyderhole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Emergency Spear: Lashing via Spyderhole?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have seem some skeletonized knives listed that claim you can use paracord and other cord to tie the blade to a pole/stick for an emergency spear. Has anyone here ever tried this with a Spyderco knife or blade, by tying the cord through the hole of the blade onto the pole, or would it work? Or would this be an unstable and bad idea? I'm talking survival situations here.
NoFair

Re: Spyderco Emergency Spear: Lashing via Spyderhole?

Post by NoFair »

Sharpen the stick and save your knife for later. Unless you have multiple knives it would be a bad idea imho ;)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I'll second that; in theory it will work fine and it's easy to lash most Spydies on a stick but in practice listen to that what our Norwegian friend says ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I'll second sharpening a stick with my knife. On a side note I had a cold steel fixed blade you could shove on the end of a stick. It worked great
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

It would be interesting if spyderco made a dedicated spear head but I agree that making your knife into a spear is not the best idea.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I agree that I don't see much use for lashing my knife to a stick. In the odd chance I need to make a spear, I think the sharpened stick is preferable, without risking losing my knife. The only "survival" situation I can imagine needing a spear for might be for spearing fish, and even there i think I would just use the sharpened stick, with a "barb" or notch to help keep the fish from sliding back off the spear. (I did a fair amount of spearfishing while growing up).

ESEE does make the AH-1 arrowhead, and I have several of them, but more as a novelty, not something I really expect to use. But it is quite small, and some people find it useful to keep one in an "Altoids" type tin for emergencies.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
brj

Post by brj »

This remembered me of this pic posted some time back on BF. Don't recall exactly the thread content, but apparently it worked for them ;)