pin construction fans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

pin construction fans

Post by JAfromMN »

Any other fans of pin construction.

I appreciate it in that I never need to worry about losing a screw or my blade becoming lose

I've used one of and on as a edc blade and never had a issue with one.

Any one else out there like the pined ones.
JAfromMN

Re: pin construction fans

Post by JAfromMN »

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't say I'm a fan but if the knife is right it won't stop me from buying and using it especially if the pivot is screwed. That said, I do greatly prefer screw construction.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I have a few, guess I hadn't really given it much thought. I don't usually take my knifes apart so not too big of a deal. There have been a couple that I was glad were screw construction only because the blade wasn't centered and I was able to fix it by loosening the screws and tweaking the scales a bit.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I do like how the manix lwt is put together where there is a pivot screw. It is nice to be able to adjust blade tension if needed. But it shouldn't ever need it like a pinned knife shouldn't.

palonej

Post by palonej »

I have 2 Manix lwts, one totally pinned the other has a pivot screw and believe it or not, the pinned one has better action and blade is perfectly centered.
Im a fan!
Joe
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

palonej wrote:I have 2 Manix lwts, one totally pinned the other has a pivot screw and believe it or not, the pinned one has better action and blade is perfectly centered.
Im a fan!
Joe
Hmm

I wish I had a pinned one so I could compare the two. I didn't know that they existed.

I'm not a fan of the lock but I had to buy a lightweight to check it out.

I'm a sucker for a light spyderco :spyder:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

On inexpensive knives pins are fine. You don't want it on higher end knives because if something goes wrong you're ... screwed :)
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

zhyla wrote:On inexpensive knives pins are fine. You don't want it on higher end knives because if something goes wrong you're ... screwed :)
Going to have to disagree with you based on all the traditionals and modern folders I have and seen used for years without issue. People have been cleaning them for years with some warm soap and water. The demand for the "ability to take my knife apart" was only recently a big thing in comparison to the greater knife history.

I am a pinned construction fan. Pinning a knife is far more complicated than people give it credit for. Even the change from pinned construction to screw construction on the Salt series was because it was easier in manufacturing to use screws rather than pinned construction.

To pin something like this is a marvel to me.

BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Pinned knives are great. The Goddard and cento3 are both pinned and I think I escaped them the most
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

I don't mind pinned construction but I prefer screws.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In Terzuola's book, The Tactical Folding Knife, he states that he admired bladesmiths who used pins but that he found it more difficult and preferred Torx screws. Understandable on custom, handmade knives like his. Conversely, on mass produced knives cranked out by the thousands using machines, pins would presumably be faster and less costly than screws.

In my meager collection, the 1990 vintage Endura and Delica are pinned. The stainless Mariner has no visible pins or screws. (How do they do that?) All others, including the Value Line Tenacious and modestly priced Byrd Cara Cara, have screws. In my view, the screws are a sign of precision engineering and quality construction. While as a rule I have no objection to pinned knives, on one folder I bought in Germany in 1970 the Solingen blade sadly became wobbly about the pivot.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll take flush pins over screws, domed pins, and rivets.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I have the manix lws and have no problem with the pins. However I do appreciate the screwed piviot, but thats more of a just incase kind of thing. I have never had a reason to take any of my knives apart so the whole pins v screws is a bit of a non issue with me.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Have treated me right over the years. :)

Just like any hardware in any application; all depends on quality of materials & tolerances. I've seen my share of cheap screws, nuts & bolts, and horrible threads, etc...

If a rivet is done right, it'll be tight.
Going back to Caly.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Given this one I bumb because I know there is more of us.

I myself don't mind a pivot screw. The rest should be pinned.

Image I also prefer the plastic clip. Never broke one
Back to basics. If you get it right the first time go with it. Don't stop using it.

Image Image
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Not really a fan, but knives that can be totally cleaned without taking apart & rustproof (Salts) are ok with me. It's the smoothest lockback compared to other (Endura & Cara2). Lance, you're right about linerless lockback!

If it is a bit loose, tapping the pins can tighten them.

Watching some manufacturing process, screw is actually easier and faster. Pinning requires certain precision and the right amount of force tapping them. It was a video done by Stefan Schmalhaus on Le Camarguais.
Chris :spyder:
maliboy67

Post by maliboy67 »

Nothing wrong with pins, I have many old style slipjoints and some lock backs that are pinned. Some are much more expensive than my best modern folders, never had a problem with any of them. Some get hard use when I'm out hunting or treking.