The Big Three

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

The Big Three

Post by MichaelScott »

It would be interesting and enlightening to read comments on what you would consider to be the "big three" Spyderco knives, one knife per category.

As a user, I am focused on three categories of knives, 1. small folder for everyday tasks, 2. large folder as both an EDC/task and for those times you want or think you might need a folder with a significantly larger or longer blade, and, 3. that all-around fixed blade you would want if you actually got seriously lost in the woods.

My top candidates are:

1. Dragonfly 2, probably in HAP-40, but I do like VG-10 too.

2. Stretch. Again, probably HAP-40 or VG-10

3. Serrata. I think the size and weight are right, the handle all you could want, and it is supposed to cut like a light saber and be reasonable to sharpen. And, I don't think it's going to break even under survival conditions.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
BTG

Re: The Big Three

Post by BTG »

I am currently loving the Mantra for EDC, but if I had to stick to 1 per category it would be,
1) lil lionspy
2) Ti Millie....and if I could only keep one Millie I'd make a Cruwear Ti
3) Temperance 2..I've heard the 1 is great also, but never seen/held one.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Native5
Caly3.5
Temperance2
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

1. Not sure how you define "small" but I do carry a Para2 or Stretch every now and then.

2. Definitely a Millie..normally a Cruwear version or occasionally a S90V version..awaiting the S110V version.

3. Gimme a Phil Wilson Southfork and I'll be GTG.
Last edited by Philo Beddoe on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

1.Dragonfly 2
2.Pacific Salt (serrated)
3.I'm tempted to go with the Southfork but I don't know, maybe the bushcraft?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

1. Kiwi

2. Stretch, preferably in VG-10

3. Moran Drop Point
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

1) Delica4 Super Blue

2) Para2 CTS204P

3) I'll say Bradley Bowie but I haven't had a chance to use it yet and in all honesty my go to fixed blade for survival isn't a Spydie.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Native5 lw
Military SE/CE or Pacific Salt SE
(or a PM2 instead of both)
My go to fixed blade bush knife wouldn't be a Spydie either.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Chapparal or Delica small blade (depending upon what is "small")
Millie in S90V or S110V long blade. If we're talking edc long blade Caly 3.5
Southfork fixed blade
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I came to the same conclusion earlier this year, so I set about acquiring said three.

Small/EDC: Positron - I find this one can slide up and down the spectrum of usage (precision tip work <---> longer slicing) quite easily. It being a flipper might make it a bit more intimidating on deployment, but much like James Bond, if it looks classy enough it gets a lot of leeway.

Large Workhorse: Gayle Bradley Folder 2 - The GB1 is probably a harder-use folder by build, but if I need to cut that hard, I'd rather move up to a fixed blade. The GB2 can overlap the small/edc usage and scale up to extended cutting tasks as well as food prep.

Fixed Blade: Bradley Bowie - I got this one because I really liked how it looked, and it looked like a jack of all trades blade. The few reviews that I've found suggest similarly.
Team Photo.jpg
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Super Blue Manbug
S110V PM2
Mule Team 4V
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

hoimin wrote:I came to the same conclusion earlier this year, so I set about acquiring said three.

Large Workhorse: Gayle Bradley Folder 2 - The GB1 is probably a harder-use folder by build, but if I need to cut that hard, I'd rather move up to a fixed blade. The GB2 can overlap the small/edc usage and scale up to extended cutting tasks as well as food prep.

Fixed Blade: Bradley Bowie - I got this one because I really liked how it looked, and it looked like a jack of all trades blade. The few reviews that I've found suggest similarly.
Team Photo.jpg
Interesting! I subconsciously included cost as a factor. Absent that, I would have to put the GB2 in the large folder category. Haven't held one yet though.

And, the Bradley Bowie is a strong contender too. Why do you prefer it to a Serrata?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

MichaelScott wrote: Interesting! I subconsciously included cost as a factor. Absent that, I would have to put the GB2 in the large folder category. Haven't held one yet though.

And, the Bradley Bowie is a strong contender too. Why do you prefer it to a Serrata?
I did pick all the more expensive collaborations because that's where my tastes tend to go. Personally, I know I'll just end up longing for the ones I like, so for me there was no point in building up to the purchase with cheaper alternatives first.

Honestly, I didn't know much about the Serrata when they both showed up in the previews (Bowie was revealed first I believe). The Bradkey Bowie caught my eye and didn't let go. It has the right size (4-6" blade), capable of up close work as well as heavier cuts. The riveted and sculpted handle struck me as comfortable and useful. The negative blade angle was also something Ed Schempp and Gayle Bradley had me convinced about.

I have nothing against the Serrata. It is an interesting design and the more I read about it, the more ingenious it sounds (basically self sharpening!). The shape and build of it just didn't pique my interest enough.

Had I more money to pursue the matter more objectively I might have some different answers. My budget lineup would be the dragonfly 2 (zdp), pm2, and temp2.
doomboxEDC

Post by doomboxEDC »

1. Techno
2. Bradley 1
3. Bradley Bowie
Skellz

Post by Skellz »

1. Hap40 Delica
2. Military
3. Bushcraft
Sprig - Mule M390 - Military Cruwear - GB1 - GB2 - Para 2 S35VN - Delica HAP40 - Domino - PITS - Salt 1 SE
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

1. Delica
2. Milly or Manix 2
3. Svord Von Tempsky Bowie or my 1978 US Camillus fighting knife which has proven itself through all these years, both in military service and trekking.
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Ladybug HAP40 or H1 serrated
Gayle Bradley 2, hands down
Sprig for cutting, or Bradley Bowie for wood choping
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

DFly or Delica in G10
Para 2 any flavour
Mule Team (this because I don't really use fixed blades often and have really enjoyed the Mule Team project, the Bradley Bowie, Serrata, Temperance 2 are all on a wish list)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's funny how my opinion of top 3 would change if I could only have those 3, because they're knives I don't use as often as other knives but I wouldn't include those knives I use the most because they don't fit the criteria that well. If I had to pick one small, one large, and one fixed blade, I'd probably go with:

Dragonfly H1/SE
Military (of some variant)

For a fixed blade, that would be a hard choice for me between something more versatile like a Bushcraft or Proficient or something big and burly like the Hossom Forester.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I'll play:

Dfly2 H1 SE or Delica in any flavour
Para2 in M390 or Military in Cruwear
If it has to be a Spyderco...maybe..mmm Bushcraft but my go to outdoor(bushcraft) blade is a Helle Safari