If you could combine any two models into one knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
funghiman

Re: If you could combine any two models into one knife...

Post by funghiman »

Evil D wrote:
funghiman wrote:Rock Lobster blade with a Junior style handle, of course with compression lock and wire clip!
Whoa man, that sounds amazing. Now you have me wondering just how much material I can grind off my RL and get the handle close to that shape. I doubt it would work with a liner lock though. I'd just like to see more knives with blades like the RL.
npad69 wrote:
funghiman wrote:Rock Lobster blade with a Junior style handle, of course with compression lock and wire clip!
this is exactly what im trying to get at. i just forgot the name of that spydie (junior) + make the RL blade a bit pointier or at least just enough to gouge out potato eyes
Hope the Glessers see our demands and fortunately come up with some projects like this. ;)

Also I am really eager to see a flipper design with any locking mechanism other than linear or frame (first choice will still be compression to me though). That prototype Southard made was just marvelous!
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Hmm, several come to mind
1) Any knife in a front flipper configuration - if the sages feature locks how about a new series that feature opening mechanisms?
2) True tanto grind (not an American acute angle) and a compression lock. (See front flipper above - like the Mantra 2- flat on top)
3) Moran + Temperance- add an inch to the moran, upgrade steel and give it a curved choil.
4) Caly 3 and UKPK- A locking FRN Caly but different lock than a back lock - compression?
5) Caly 3 FRN H1 salt series -
Tinkerer

Post by Tinkerer »

I'll make this easy. A G10 Military, or G10/Titanium Military, with any knife that has TIP UP capability.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I love the suggestion that DODGE gave us>> I've been wanting a beefed up fillet knife for quite some time now. His suggestion of a Lum Tanto handle assembly with a beefed up CATCHERMAN blade is truly an excellent idea.

Either that or take a C-60 Ayoob folder with a curved CATCHERMAN type blade or maybe an AYOOB model with a more streamlined blade made specifically for filleting fish and/or butchering big game animals.

But I do believe that DODGE is truly on the right track and a fillet knife with muscle makes great sense to me.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Stretch handle with manix blade, stretch blade thickness, and manix BBL
Studey

Post by Studey »

Michael Janich wrote:Yojimbo 2 and an Endura trainer...

Stay safe,

Mike
I see what you did there.

:D
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Full SE Harpy Blade with a Caly 3 handle.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

Mine would have to be either the

Yojimbo 2 blade with the Manix 2 G10 scales or a larger 3.75in Native blade with Compression lock and Micarta scales
"Only a man who has faced down death can truly appreciate life"
Sam Golson 2005
" A sharp blade is a good indicator of a sharp mind"

Bearded Scout 2016
bearded_scout

Post by bearded_scout »

Tinkerer wrote:I'll make this easy. A G10 Military, or G10/Titanium Military, with any knife that has TIP UP capability.
I would have to agree good sir.
"Only a man who has faced down death can truly appreciate life"
Sam Golson 2005
" A sharp blade is a good indicator of a sharp mind"

Bearded Scout 2016
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

JD Spydo wrote:I love the suggestion that DODGE gave us>> I've been wanting a beefed up fillet knife for quite some time now. His suggestion of a Lum Tanto handle assembly with a beefed up CATCHERMAN blade is truly an excellent idea.

Either that or take a C-60 Ayoob folder with a curved CATCHERMAN type blade or maybe an AYOOB model with a more streamlined blade made specifically for filleting fish and/or butchering big game animals.

But I do believe that DODGE is truly on the right track and a fillet knife with muscle makes great sense to me.
That's sort of where I was going with the Mantra 2 XL w/S110v or 204p and traditional bronze washers rather than the bearings. I too agree with Dodge's idea, beefed up and easy to clean fillet/all purpose knife really makes sense. Something that could be used around salt or fresh water. I would prefer pillar construction for ease of cleaning.
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Salt 1 blade with a Delica handle.
Pacific Salt blade with a Paramilitary handle.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Jot Singh Khalsa and the Gunting.
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to see a Southard and Rock Lobster mixed...blade of the RL, with a flipper, in a Southard handle/lock with Ti on both sides. Make it Rock Lobster sized, and I'll take it in just about any steel but would love to see something that'll patina. Bonus points if the handle scales are heavily contoured.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'd like to see a leaf blade on the new brown Stretch 2. I like the knife because it's a little thinner than most mid-length knives and I'm slowly beginning to like the blade shape, but I'd still like to cross it with a Manix or Superleaf (with thinner blade), etc.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DougC-3 wrote:I'd like to see a leaf blade on the new brown Stretch 2. I like the knife because it's a little thinner than most mid-length knives and I'm slowly beginning to like the blade shape, but I'd still like to cross it with a Manix or Superleaf (with thinner blade), etc.

Sounds like you just want a brown R... well maybe with a bit of curve to the spine.

Please don't mess with the Stretch Blade I have come to enjoy so much! :p ;)
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We had a big discussion about the Stretch spine shape a while back. I don't recall how that ended but I'm guessing since the Stretch 2 came with the same spine shape, there wasn't enough demand for it. My opinion was that I prefer a straight or leaf shaped spine but for the Stretch I felt that (much like the original Kiwi) it's part of the knife's identity.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tdog wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:I love the suggestion that DODGE gave us>> I've been wanting a beefed up fillet knife for quite some time now. His suggestion of a Lum Tanto handle assembly with a beefed up CATCHERMAN blade is truly an excellent idea.

That's sort of where I was going with the Mantra 2 XL w/S110v or 204p and traditional bronze washers rather than the bearings. I too agree with Dodge's idea, beefed up and easy to clean fillet/all purpose knife really makes sense. Something that could be used around salt or fresh water. I would prefer pillar construction for ease of cleaning.
That's not exactly what I was thinking about but I do like what you're suggesting :cool: some type of hybrid between the Catcherman and C-60 Ayoob folder cross-bred between that C-46 Lum Tanto folder handle just looks like a mega-beast of a folder and work knife. It wouldn't just be confined to filleting fish either it's like you said it could also work as an "ALL PURPOSE Knife" as well. I do like your steel selection too. Why not a supersteel for fish and wild game processing?>> or just a working man's EDC in a mega-beast genre :cool:
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

These suggestions of a fillet knife got me thinking. How about this combo,, fixed blade, Pacific Salt handle, 9 inch, very thin stretch shape blade in S30V.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SpeedHoles wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:I'd like to see a leaf blade on the new brown Stretch 2. I like the knife because it's a little thinner than most mid-length knives and I'm slowly beginning to like the blade shape, but I'd still like to cross it with a Manix or Superleaf (with thinner blade), etc.

Sounds like you just want a brown R... well maybe with a bit of curve to the spine.

Please don't mess with the Stretch Blade I have come to enjoy so much! :p ;)
I didn't want to change the present Stretch. I'd just like to see a leaf variant with the same handle, like the Superhawk (C116) and Superleaf (C140), though the Superleaf is apparently considered a separate model instead of a variant since it has a different C number. Also I wasn't looking for a brown one, though that would be fine. I just like the way the knife handles and the thinness of it for some purposes, though I like thick knives too.

The R and Superleaf are two of my favorites. My perfect R blade would be a little less triangular and more leafy and have a slightly bigger choil. Another lock type would be OK if it would fit into the width of the handle. I like the easy cleaning of open constructions but I like the backlock too.
Evil D wrote:We had a big discussion about the Stretch spine shape a while back. I don't recall how that ended but I'm guessing since the Stretch 2 came with the same spine shape, there wasn't enough demand for it. My opinion was that I prefer a straight or leaf shaped spine but for the Stretch I felt that (much like the original Kiwi) it's part of the knife's identity.
I agree that the Stretch would not be a Stretch if they changed the blade shape any more than they did with the new Stretch 2 and that it has a huge fan base the way it is, or at least was. I guess it remains to be seen if the new one will get as many fans.

By the way, if Kristi hadn't opened up a can of Thread Locker, I was afraid I was going to have to press the SMITE button on my computer in that thread about the server being down Monday :eek: :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
I agree that the Stretch would not be a Stretch if they changed the blade shape any more than they did with the new Stretch 2 and that it has a huge fan base the way it is, or at least was. I guess it remains to be seen if the new one will get as many fans.

I liked the idea of a straight or leaf shaped spine sprint. That way everyone gets what they want.
DougC-3 wrote:By the way, if Kristi hadn't opened up a can of Thread Locker, I was afraid I was going to have to press the SMITE button on my computer in that thread about the server being down Monday :eek: :D
~David