Warranty denial?? Shocked....great outcome!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Warranty denial?? Shocked!

Post by SG89 »

Glad to hear it worked out! Another satisfied customer :) Wish all the haters on BF could see this.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

That is great customer service.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Glad to hear it worked out! Another satisfied customer :) Wish all the haters on BF could see this.
NOTHING will change the minds of those elitist haters Spydiechick!!
If it isn't a Rockstead or a full custom they don't wanna hear it......but did I tell you I'm getting a new Ti Millie......again????
:D
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Charlynn is one of my very favorite Spyderco Crew members. Not only outstanding at her position of responsibility there in Warranty & Customer Service, but a very Special Person as well. She is a real asset to Spyderco and I am glad she made everything right. Good all around. :)
palonej

Post by palonej »

Yup!!! ^^^
You know the best part??? We just had a conversation. She listened to what I had to say and then we just talked.
I think she realized I wasn't trying to get over and offered to send me another one.
Charlynn is just too cool!
Joe
JNewell

Re: UPDATE!! Warranty denial?? Shocked!

Post by JNewell »

palonej wrote:Well.....the guys that said not to worry were correcto!!!!
Spoke to Charlynn this morning. She told me I got that letter because they found the knife was taken apart....I NEVER touched the scale screws EVER!!
Bought the knife from GP....an excellent dealer I've dealt with many times.
The only thing we can think of is it was a return....don't really know.
After speaking with Charlynn for a while, she is going to replace my knife with a brand new one!! She is a VERY understanding chick that can appreciate a knife Knut's concerns!!
Does this company just outright ROCK or what???
Can't thank Kristi and Charlynn enough!
Joe
Joe -

I don't know if it's possible with the current forum software, but it it's possible to edit the subject line, you might consider editing it to add something like "Happy Ending" or similar so people will know that it had a great ending. I'm glad it did have a great ending. The Military is one of the very best designs Spyderco has ever released. :spyder:
palonej

Post by palonej »

I tried earlier bro. If you look at the top of your post you'll see I added update to the title.
Weird that it only showed up there.
I'll try again later.
Thanks

Got it!! I could NOT bring myself to add Happy Ending!!
swigert

Re: Warranty denial?? Shocked....great outcome!!

Post by swigert »

Glad it worked out. It always seems like it does.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Glad it worked out, and great to hear about the fantastic customer service, can't say that Charlynn is one of my favorite people though ...I guess I've been lucky, never had an issue with a single knife yet, so I've never had the pleasure.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

I've heard the CS is great-I've not yet needed it! 16 Spyderco knives ($48-$200) in the last 3 years and not one had a single issue. Compare that with another popular maker who I bought 3 from ($125 to $165) and two had issues-one went back and one I gifted to a buddy under full disclosure.

MY experience
Spyderco 0 percent QC issues
(Shiny footprints / anonymous brand that is very popular) 66% QC issues
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm glad the problem has been worked out for you.
I NEVER touched the scale screws EVER!!
In all fairness you stated you adjusted the pivot. When a knife has been altered by the owner the warranty isn't supposed to apply to knives that then need fixing. If the warranty repair has nothing to do with the item that has been altered I can see them going ahead with a repair but that isn't the case here.

I can see why Charlynn was going to charge you . That is what she is supposed to do. They took care of you despite you having voided warranty. That is a good thing but it shouldn't be taken as a change in the rules or policy on Spyderco's part.

joe
palonej

Post by palonej »

You've got to be kidding me.
Adjusting the adjustable component is akin to disassembly????
She stated the SCALE SCREWS were damaged.
You mean to tell me if any of us adjust pivot tension our warranties are then void?
Gimme a break.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If the scale screws were damaged how were they to know it wasn't you who did the damage? Adjusting the pivot is fine, but some people take it out and then can't align washers etc. correctly and cause some damage.

PS! Charlynn is nice :D
palonej

Post by palonej »

You guys got me!
I bought a brand new $250 knife and the first thing I wanted to do was take it apart, then send it back to Spydie.....just for the heck of it! Especially since I have no clue what I would do once it was apart and would NOT be able to reassemble!
Read the issue I had and why I sent it back. I would be curious how that can be fixed. New blade maybe?? No clue whatsoever.
Knife was never taken apart. Period.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Strange thing is quite a few people disassemble high end knives and don't know how to do so correctly (I'm not saying you did, just that W&R get quite a few examples of amateur tinkering sent back) ;)
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

And this is why I carry a spyderco.
gone2thedogs

Post by gone2thedogs »

I needed a handle screw for my new unused native 5, like you played with it a bit, test cut on a small branch to get feel if it, put it up, week later went EDC it, noticed handle screw was missing. Emailed them they sent them in about a week....wrong ones and it was all my fault as I forgot to mention it was the FRN version. With the Christmas holiday, New Years, now shot show things got delayed and got my screws today so even in the craziness, they did not forget me.Excellent customer service even when we ( me in this case) mess up with lack of communication. They were very patient and understanding, so much so bought a second native 5 and another delica 4 lol so wanted to say thank you CS dept. top notch crew.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You've got to be kidding me.
Adjusting the adjustable component is akin to disassembly????
Apparently it is. The adjustment is there for the Spyderco crew to use building or servicing the knife and not for use outside of their control by their techs.

Has this stopped them from taking care of their customers? Not much that I've seen but it is in violation of the warranty. The bottom line seems to be they will do what they can to help people out but a determination that the owner is at fault means they don't have to warrant the repairs.

In your case they must have agreed you didn't cause the problem hence the new knife. Just be aware that the adjustment of a pivot by the owner is a violation of the warranty. People often confuse the fact that the pivot is adjustable means that adjustment must be ok.

Joe L.
palonej

Post by palonej »

The only time your statement would be true was if you use a jack hammer and a torch to adjust the pivot......then you'd have a problem with Charlynn.
If you use the proper tool, adjusting an out of whack pivot, your warranty is fine.
I am SURE I'm not the only one to have adjusted a pivot......without a sledgehammer.
I really appreciate your point of view.....I'd appreciate it more if you kept it to yourself.....mainly because you have no clue.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I've had defective Spyderco screws, I'd stripped the heads on some (still in a knife). They trusted me with new screws and the new pivot screws were MUCH better, they tightened the knife easier, stayed in better, haven't loosened. I think they had tighter tolerances or I just had a bad batch to begin with. Now I'm just waiting for the rest to come out to put in the excellently machined new ones. Spyderco's warranty is excellent and makes me comfortable buying more products and USE them as well as collect them.