Spydercollaborations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoimin

Spydercollaborations

Post by hoimin »

One of my favorite things about Spyderco is its willingness to partner with custom makers and bring their manufacturing prowess to bear on bringing excellent designs to the market. Some of them can get a little crazy, but more often than not, they become staple products that are treated with the same reverence as the in house classics. The custom knife world is a bit hard to keep track of, and my experience is really limited to what I've been exposed to through Spyderco, so I thought I'd start up a thread to see what you all are interested in. Maybe Spyderco will also find them intriguing :)

I'll kick things off with some frequent Spydercollaborators! I suspect some of these are already in the queue...

Brad Southard:
Hawkbill Downing | mini: http://i.imgur.com/nsrzuHS.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; XL: http://imagizer-cv.imageshack.us/v2/800 ... 4/yj6g.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Comp-lock Mini-Hanan | https://www.instagram.com/p/BAqrpQoB6s_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gayle Bradley:
Fancy Flipper | Surfingringo's: http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a63 ... zyqwqd.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Spydercollaborations

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

So far for me the best collaboration with Spyderco to date has been Marcin Slysz with the Techno and Slysz Bowie! With multiple possible new models in the queue potentially, it's a real recipe for success and testament to how well such a collab could turn out (well for me at least ;)).

There are many other collaborations I really like: Southard, Bradley, Goddard, Vox & Anso, Read and Carey to name a few.

My experience with the level of quality Spyderco puts into these models (in Taichung especially) led me to research other makers using my favorite lock of theirs: the compression lock. After a lot of research, I recently took the plunge and bought my first custom from a maker licensed to use it, a very talented guy named Jesse Jarosz. I know a few other makers like Southard and Smock are using it as well, but Jesse makes one darn fine knife too! :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Nice pics, RadioactiveSpyder!

I'm a big fan of the Slysz lineup as well. Swayback soon, please?

That Jarosz looks gorgeous and comfortable...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Collabs i'd like too see:
Gavin &Grant Hawk, Liong Mah and Flavio Ikoma.
Collabs i own and love:
Centofante, Terzuola, Southard
Planning to buy Slysz Techno
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I have to throw Ed Schempp in this mix. His Persians as well as his other ethnic knives are always top notch.

Gayle Bradley:
Fancy Flipper....Looks real interesting.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Collaborations, collaborations! I'm always excited for more suggestions. Both Brad Southard and Peter Carey have been previewing some amazing work for TKI this year.

I'd like to see another collaboration with Filip de Leeuw. His Deviant Blades framelocks are all intriguing. The Tiny Framelock, Freestyle, and Curly folders are all eye catching. I particularly love the look of the Freestyle, wharncliffes make me happy.

With the Starmate and Double Bevel discontinued, I've got my fingers crossed for any future Terzuola collabs.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
aranawhite

Post by aranawhite »

Did Alistair Phillips in Australia (mid 2013) get any traction here or in the states? I like the simplicity, of design.
ImageImageImage
SG89

Post by SG89 »

hoimin wrote:Nice pics, RadioactiveSpyder!

Swayback! Swayback! Swayback! :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Call me crazy, but I would give my eye teeth for a Spyderco/Bill Ruple collaboration. :D :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

hoimin wrote:Nice pics, RadioactiveSpyder!

Thank you, that Jarosz Pulsar is indeed fabulous! The only thing that could make it better would be to add a Spyderhole, but I'm getting the hang of those thumb studs!

I can't wait for the Slysz Swayback and the Spyderchef! And I was amiss in not mentioning Ed Schempp in my list, but I believe he's a Spyderco employee as well, correct? There's still a few of his models I'd like to get but I confess I just didn't like the recent Bowie offering. I wish I did, I did appreciate the build of it, but that hump drove me batty! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Those are some interesting names mentioned! I enjoy seeing their various design languages show through, especially from non-North American makers. There seems to be a bit of a hotspot in Idaho too (Hawks, Koenig, Chris Reeve).

Good call with Ed Schempp as well. He's like Spyderco designs dialed up to 11. He and Gayle Bradley talking about their designs really got me onto negative-angled blades. I haven't quite found the Schempp model that really spoke to me, but I believe his designs need to be held in the hand, rather than beheld by the eyes. Sadly, there is a dearth of local stores in my area.

I really like Spyderco's utilitarian tweaks to their collaboration pieces; makes them appear more functional than fancy, while still preserving the design aesthetic and intent.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Spydergirl88 wrote: Swayback! Swayback! Swayback! :D
I like the way you think.

There was a thread a little while ago about Tim Curry and some of his knives with a licensed Spyder Hole. I still think the little Myrmidon would make an excellent Little Big Knife.

I also saw some wonderful Peter Carey fixed blades on Instagram. They have a hole in the blade for a lanyard, but I mentioned that it reminded me of a Spyder Hole. He liked the idea of a fixed blade collaboration.

https://instagram.com/p/62jsdrN66v/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

aranawhite wrote:Did Alistair Phillips in Australia (mid 2013) get any traction here or in the states? I like the simplicity, of design.
ImageImageImage
I never really showed off those ones out side of Australia too much. The main reason being the import laws I wanted to make something for the locals. I am developing a new model at the moment which I am absolutely in love with. I'll come back with some pics when I have the design nailed down.

Alistair
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Cubane wrote: I never really showed off those ones out side of Australia too much. The main reason being the import laws I wanted to make something for the locals. I am developing a new model at the moment which I am absolutely in love with. I'll come back with some pics when I have the design nailed down.

Alistair
Looking forward to seeing what you have in store! Any hints? Traditional, Fixed, or Folder?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I like the black handled one. Looks like a cross between Kershaw Crown and a liner lock BM Mini Griptilian :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Cubane wrote:
aranawhite wrote:Did Alistair Phillips in Australia (mid 2013) get any traction here or in the states? I like the simplicity, of design.
ImageImageImage
I never really showed off those ones out side of Australia too much. The main reason being the import laws I wanted to make something for the locals. I am developing a new model at the moment which I am absolutely in love with. I'll come back with some pics when I have the design nailed down.

Alistair
Glad to have you participating in the forum! Those knives do look gorgeous! Kind of neat you can make them available for you guys who couldn't otherwise import knives like that. Perhaps someday I'll get a chance to visit down under.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

hoimin wrote:
Cubane wrote: I never really showed off those ones out side of Australia too much. The main reason being the import laws I wanted to make something for the locals. I am developing a new model at the moment which I am absolutely in love with. I'll come back with some pics when I have the design nailed down.

Alistair
Looking forward to seeing what you have in store! Any hints? Traditional, Fixed, or Folder?
It is a folder, designed for food prep. I posted some pics of the first prototype on instagram. I am hoping to finish off the 2nd prototype this weekend.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Peter Rassenti for me.The Druid would be great.
Last edited by elena86 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Cubane wrote:
hoimin wrote:

Alistair
It is a folder, designed for food prep. I posted some pics of the first prototype on instagram. I am hoping to finish off the 2nd prototype this weekend.
Looks a bit like a friendly folding santoku!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My favorite so far is C83 Persian
Persian10.JPG
I would love to see collaboration with Bill Pease
p4074n1.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian