Spydercollaborations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aranawhite

Re: Spydercollaborations

Post by aranawhite »

elena86 wrote:Peter Rassenti for me.The Druid would be great.
That could be cool. i'd just like to handle the Nirvana, doubt pics do it justice.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I'm a fan of the Serge Panachenko collaboration, the dog tag knife. I hope and wish that Serge and Spyderco would do a version of Serge's Coin Claw knife.

Grizz
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Reviving this thread a bit. A few of my initial hopes have borne fruit!

I have high hopes for something like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLd7Q_3BWCR now that Spyderco is okay with non-functional holes.
or this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvHkuVhO9O with partially submerged hole to be used like a nail nick.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My two top Spyderco collaborations are the C-60 Massad Ayoob and the J.D. Smith. One old sentimental favorite that's been on my mind a lot lately is the Ed Scott IMPALA model that was done around 2004-2005.

But as ergonomic as that C-60 Ayoob model was I'm really surprised that it didn't become a permanent fixture in the main line up. I haven't talked to anyone in a long time that said they didn't like the C-60 Ayoob model.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Among the collabs, I'm partial to Bradley and Slysz, not that I have them all. I'm far more inclined to designs of the Glessers.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

http://knifenews.com/compression-lock-food-prep/

Check out Cubane's (Alistair Phillips from upthread) handiwork!

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70631
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

hoimin wrote:http://knifenews.com/compression-lock-food-prep/

Check out Cubane's (Alistair Phillips from upthread) handiwork!

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70631
Thanks for posting that. I just got back the Australian Knifemaker Guild Show in Melbourne and the couple I had for sale there were very well received.

Alistair
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

hoimin wrote:Those are some interesting names mentioned! I enjoy seeing their various design languages show through, especially from non-North American makers. There seems to be a bit of a hotspot in Idaho too (Hawks, Koenig, Chris Reeve).
I'm a sucker for Idaho made. I'd definitely have to pick up any collaborations with an Idaho designer.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Gayle Bradley is a legend in so many blade areas...

Frank Centofante...talk about a class gentleman...so sorely missed...

However,

Ed Schempp is THE Spyderco Collab King...

you can close the thread now :cool:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I haven't owned very many Spyderco compared to most members here. My second experience with the brand was a Moran, bought when they first came out.

It had the upswept blade--not sure if the drop point was available at the time. I've had criticism of the blade shape, because you have to raise the handle up quite often for many cuts. Depending on the individual, crooking the wrist and lifting the elbow through the process can end up being very irritating. We sectioned or deboned in the field as much as possible, so the blade section for me was a decent compromise.

I'm waiting now for the Phil Wilson Bow River, hoping its final specifications come out exactly like this one.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=68030
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

You know I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned Jason Breeden's great collaborations with the C-111 Captain model and his own version of the RESCUE. I truly think both models would have soared on the sales charts had they been offered in Spyderedge. Most particularly the Breeden RESCUE :confused: I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't at least offer up the RESCUE model in Spyderedge :confused: Because everyone of Spyderco's own RESCUE type blades were all offered in SE.

Oh how I would also love to see another creation of JD Smith.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would really like to see Spyderco collaborate with Jason Brous. Jason told me he was contacted by Spyderco, but nothing ever really became of it. Sure wish it would happen. Jason is a good kid, with some really nice designs under his belt. One that comes to mind is his Division model. Man, what I would give to see a Spydie bug on one of those and 204P blade steel.......its an incredible blade.