Why the Para2 over the Millie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

Why the Para2 over the Millie?

Post by DrtyHarry »

I have been talking to a few Spyderco fans, and many of them seem to prefer the Para2 over the Millie. For me...I was always a fan of the Millie, I own a plain edge and a serrated one (that stays in the car). Just curious, how come more people like the Para2 over the Mille? I handled my first Para2 the other day and I liked it VERY much...however, I still like the extra size of the Millie. I have just ordered a Para2, and will be replacing it with my EDC Millie...not crazy with the blurple scales, but I might change them if I like the knife enough. Well...if you are one who like the Para2 over the Millie, I would love to know why. I carried a Microtech SOCOM for many many years, and switched over to a Millie about 5 years or so ago. Been VERY happy with it and am very comfortable with it. I hope my hand can get used to the smaller size and the different lock. The Millie had the same kind of linear lock as my SOCOM does...but, I no longer carry the SOCOMs I have. Just curious!!

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
demoncase

Re: Why the Para2 over the Millie?

Post by demoncase »

I prefer the Millie too- But I can see why some people prefer the PM2.

The reasons will be some combination of:
1. PM2 has 4 clip positions to suit user preference- Millie has one and it's tip down
2. PM2's Comp lock is 'special' than the Millie liner lock
3. PM2's smaller blade is a bit less aggressive around non-knife-peeps without sacrificing too much cutting ability
3.5...and that means a smaller handle in your pocket, and a smidge less weight
4. Jimping everywhere!
5. Popularity plus screw construction means custom parts a-go-go.

Owning a PM1 and a PM2, I can see that Sal and Eric were about 90% right with the original PM1....The PM2 improves on every aspect of the original, making it really something very special- there's nothing missing from the PM2.
Last edited by demoncase on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

For me i can sum it up in one word - size. As in too big :)
My sweet spot is covered by Byrd Raven 2 or PM2
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Size....many think the military Is too large, heck even I thought that until I carried one for a while. Now it actually feels thinner to me. Front pocket carry it feels a little too long but rear pocket is perfect. Also that compression lock is just so trick, the PM2 is a knife flickers paradise.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
PM1

Post by PM1 »

As a left-hander the PM2 has better pocket clip options and a better lock. I don't mind the larger size of the Military, but the PM2 has more versatility.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Colorado law sort of puts a 3.5 inch limit on us here.

I love both and own multiple versions of both. I regularly carry both. I rarely find that I need the extra blade length for EDC and I am not a self defense knife guy either. If I need to defend myself I don't think half an inch of blade will change the outcome.

I prefer the compression lock ten times more than a liner lock.

The Para2 is my favorite knife. Simply awesome!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Slone

Post by Slone »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Colorado law sort of puts a 3.5 inch limit on us here.

I love both and own multiple versions of both. I regularly carry both. I rarely find that I need the extra blade length for EDC and I am not a self defense knife guy either. If I need to defend myself I don't think half an inch of blade will change the outcome.

I prefer the compression lock ten times more than a liner lock.

The Para2 is my favorite knife. Simply awesome!
I agre.
The primary success of this knife is due to achivements.
Followed by good critics & reviews.
Leading to success. :spyder:

If your concerned by handle sizing, try one.
I have large hands and I value the nice grip on the PM2.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm a Military Guy, but the Paramilitary models have a warm spot in my heart also. :) :spyder:

I like that the PM2 has no cutouts on the bottom of the handle. In that way it feels a bit more ergonomic.

The PM2's "free dropping" blade due to the stepped pivot is an attraction to many.

More customization options due to the ubiquitous nature of the PM2's appeal continues to grow also.

Having said that, I prefer the Military's adjustable pivot and slim profile as compared to the PM2.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If you are a stickler for legalities that extra .5" is often not allowed.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Thanks fellas...the size is what annoys me. I don't see why the Millie shouldn't be the exact same thing as the Para2...just bigger by a mere 1/2". Other than the size, I teally like the option the PM2 has with the location of putting the clip.. one guy I know carries a PM2 and put a new smaller clip and replaced the scales with something CF. 2 questions:

1. If those "blurple" G10 scales simply wont work for me, can I just buy a used PM2 (with black screws/hardware) and simply swap the scales? Or is there something more to it? I like the black OEM G10 scsles.

2. Backspacers. I was looking around on line and saw a pic of a PM2 that just didn't look right, something was different. Apparently, there was a "backspacer" installed on the knife. Can someone tell me why a backspacer would we installed on a PM2? I see they also make them for Millie as well. What does it do? Is it a good idea to get one for my EDC? Thanks for the help, fellas. God Bless....
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

And the Millie is simmer? Thinner blade as well?
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I prefer the military's size, but much prefer the comp lock, and tip up carry on the PM2.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

demoncase wrote:I prefer the Millie too- But I can see why some people prefer the PM2.

The reasons will be some combination of:
1. PM2 has 4 clip positions to suit user preference- Millie has one and it's tip down
2. PM2's Comp lock is 'special' than the Millie liner lock
3. PM2's smaller blade is a bit less aggressive around non-knife-peeps without sacrificing too much cutting ability
3.5...and that means a smaller handle in your pocket, and a smidge less weight
4. Jimping everywhere!
5. Popularity plus screw construction means custom parts a-go-go.

Owning a PM1 and a PM2, I can see that Sal and Eric were about 90% right with the original PM1....The PM2 improves on every aspect of the original, making it really something very special- there's nothing missing from the PM2.
+1
DC nailed it. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

DrtyHarry wrote: questions:

1. If those "blurple" G10 scales simply wont work for me, can I just buy a used PM2 (with black screws/hardware) and simply swap the scales? Or is there something more to it? I like the black OEM G10 scsles.

2. . Can someone tell me why a backspacer would we installed on a PM2?
1. Yes you can. No there's nothing more to it (Apart from the key point about invalidating your warranty). There are many varieties of custom scale available. (See below)

2. I've fitted one to mine because it:
~Looks cool
~Adds an extra contact width at the heel of the handle, thus reducing hotspots
~Possibly adds a bit of extra stiffness and strength (debatable- your mileage may vary)
(2.5- The Millie has a short backspacer already....You can get replacement stand-offs to make it 100% open- so going the other way!)

For reference- this is what I did:
Take one all black PM2
Add Ripps Garage Tech solid CNC machined copper scales
Add Titanium backspacer
Now she weighs as much as two factory-fresh PM2s....Built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro ;)

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mattman

Post by mattman »

Off to find these copper scales...
swigert

Post by swigert »

Size for me also, I like the deeper chill in the PM2.

It just fits me better overall, Also aesthetically it looks better to my eyes. The ability to put a deep carry clip on I love. Im not huge on millie deep carry clip options.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I like to carry both, but prefer the compression lock over the liner lock, but prefer a RIL to both, so when it's Millies turn its gotta be Ti....we'll see if the Blurple Millie changes that.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

That's a nice looking PM2 with copper scales!! OK...so I'll get a titanium back spacer for it. Not 100% sure why other than the fact that it looks cool...lol. As for the scales, I really like the stock scales but in black. I like G10...I have G10 grips on almost all my handguns. Micarta is nice also, like what is on my older SOCOMs. CF looks cool...but I really got used to the G10 grips that my Millie has. And they are not cheap! I can find new scales for the PM2 for the same price as a i can get a used PM2 with black scales. I can just swap scales...and still be left with an extra PM2! I think I will probably do that...
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Where can I find these?

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like both knives an awful lot, but I prefer my Millie at work a lot of the time because I wear gloves a lot of the time at work and it's easier to use, and the extra edge length of the cutting edge can be useful too. As a result, my Millie gets carried more often at work, but I carry my PM2 close to almost as much because a lot of the time I'm working I don't need gloves (Really depends on the job site, and more importantly the tasks I'll be doing that day...my work can vary very substantially in the scope of what I need to do), and I do prefer the way that the PM2 carries, and I also prefer the lock (I prefer the liner lock with heavy gloves every time, compression lock without gloves, or with thin gloves). I carry my PM2 outside of work though because I think it's a better size for out of work EDC, and I definitely prefer tip up carry and the operation of the compression lock. Overall it's a more versatile knife than the Millie in the way it can function very nearly as good on my job site, but can function noticeably better off the job site. I'd take it before my Millie overall, but if we're just talking about on the job use, I'll take the Millie.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden