Knife & Watch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Explorador

Re: Knife & Watch

Post by Explorador »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:07 am
Explorador wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:20 pm

The right EDC gear does not fear the cold.
Great shot :cool:
Hey, buddy, long time no see. All ok down under?

Yesterday I learned finally to upload a pic.
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

Frozen eye candy:

Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Work trip duo....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Explorador wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 am
standy99 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:07 am
Explorador wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:20 pm

The right EDC gear does not fear the cold.
Great shot :cool:
Hey, buddy, long time no see. All ok down under?

Yesterday I learned finally to upload a pic.
Work trip in the Northern Hemisphere for a few months..... Looks like you have the photos worked out. ;)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Police Stainless Steel + Cartier Santos Galbée steel&gold
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 pm
Nice combo!
I was carrying my Maxamet Sage with my Speedy yesterday! Steel goes well with some Apollo Goodness :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This thread is really encouraging to my heart. Just recently a dear lady friend of mine who is a local school teacher who has completely shocked me on about 3 occasions in the past year. She was the one that informed me that the public schools are no longer teaching cursive writing ( regular handwriting) any longer. I couldn't believe my ears when she told me that last year. I even did a thread on that cursive writing if you all want to dig it up. But recently she hit me with another shocker>> she informed me that the school where she works is going to eliminate analog clocks ( just simply a regular clock like you see on the wall in homes and businesses). She said that many students are crying that they can't learn how to read them because they are so brainwashed with all this new digital crap.

And the reason this thread gives me encouragement is I'm pretty much certain that premier watch companies like Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Citizen and Cartier are still going to make traditional watches irrespective of this completely dysfunctional group of kids currently school aged and unwilling to learn the most simple, basic of all skills. Because if they grow up and want a masterpiece quality watch then they'll have to learn how to read an analog clock. It's getting really weird folks :(
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm not anti-digital, but i prefer "dumb" watches. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
standy99

Post by standy99 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:07 pm
This thread is really encouraging to my heart. Just recently a dear lady friend of mine who is a local school teacher who has completely shocked me on about 3 occasions in the past year. She was the one that informed me that the public schools are no longer teaching cursive writing ( regular handwriting) any longer. I couldn't believe my ears when she told me that last year. I even did a thread on that cursive writing if you all want to dig it up. But recently she hit me with another shocker>> she informed me that the school where she works is going to eliminate analog clocks ( just simply a regular clock like you see on the wall in homes and businesses). She said that many students are crying that they can't learn how to read them because they are so brainwashed with all this new digital crap.

And the reason this thread gives me encouragement is I'm pretty much certain that premier watch companies like Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Citizen and Cartier are still going to make traditional watches irrespective of this completely dysfunctional group of kids currently school aged and unwilling to learn the most simple, basic of all skills. Because if they grow up and want a masterpiece quality watch then they'll have to learn how to read an analog clock. It's getting really weird folks :(
Had youngsters at work that struggle with 24hr time which is used in aviation and maritime.

Was at a wharf at 1am for a 13:00 vessel not that long ago. Didn’t go off that much as it was 3 hours double time and 10 hours stand down for that little stuff up.....
Main ones that confuses them is 16:00 and 21:00 for some weird reason.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:20 pm
Smartest watch I have it will have is a Casio that receives the atomic clock radio signal, so it sets itself. It is solar also. Plenty smart enough if you ask me.
standy99 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:56 pm
Had youngsters at work that struggle with 24hr time which is used in aviation and maritime.

Was at a wharf at 1am for a 13:00 vessel not that long ago. Didn’t go off that much as it was 3 hours double time and 10 hours stand down for that little stuff up.....
I don’t “think” in 24hr, but I can do the quick math.

Anyone remember the musical “Oklahoma”? What’s the matter with kids today?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

People said the same things when digital watches came out. I don't think analog watches will ever die out. They haven't in 50+ years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:26 am
People said the same things when digital watches came out. I don't think analog watches will ever die out. They haven't in 50+ years.
i have a couple of each (analog and digital). i like them both. i can't imagine wearing a smart watch as long as i have to carry a cell phone, though. i don't need my wrist to tell me the same thing my pocket is telling me. it seems a little ridiculous, but i say that as someone that's never tried one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:20 pm
And I have digital Analog watch. A Casio Solar Sport Combination Watch. You set it digitally, it does the normal basic Casio watch things, but the face is analog. This is my everyday watch.

My other watch is a Glycine F104, with a white face. And I pair that with any of my knives.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:26 am
If it wasn’t for the Swatch watch it was looking pretty grim.
Not many Swiss brands survived the Quartz crisis. Most brands are owned by 3 majority companies.
Most have kept their heritage but are so far from their former glory or beginnings.

http://wtdowell.com/hayek.htm

Above is a quick read on how Swatch saved the mechanical watch.

Nothing beats a vintage wrist watch.

Last edited by standy99 on Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhaug

Post by rhaug »

4EB49EA0-4217-4666-9141-C0AD37770089.jpeg
Chap ‘n PAM
On deck: FRN Chaparral

Moved on: Techno 2, SpydieChef

Excited to get: UKPK Heinnie Haynes edition, Lil'Kapara (bring it on! :D )
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

rhaug wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:50 am
4EB49EA0-4217-4666-9141-C0AD37770089.jpeg

Chap ‘n PAM
Beautiful watch. Panerais are a little big for me, but nobody does a sandwich dial better.
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:56 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

This is the last post I read last night before going to sleep. This morning I woke up from a horrible nightmare, where I was in a submarine and suddenly all digital instruments failed and we were in collition course and with the help of two other seamen who also had mechanical analog watches, we managed to re-calculate the direction, speed and depth of the sub and could finally save us. In the afterbreefing, my commanding officer yelled mad at me and threatened me NEVER to make it public, that we saved the sub with mechanical instruments only. Standy99, I am sure you were one of the two officers who helped me saving our lives.
I am sure not the first here to build in forum posts into our dreams.

Anyway, here is Spyderco protecting the "old analog knowledge":
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:

So sad. When's the last time a young cashier counted change back to you properly? Oh, right. Cash is going out of style, too.