Knife & Watch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Barkdog

Re: Knife & Watch

Post by Barkdog »

Agree w/ Evil D (watch is essential). Fumbling for cell in the middle of the night to check the time? Not for me. (It helps that I've worn one since i was a kid, too...)

The question is, which watches are Spyderco worthy? I offer two submissions.

For dressier times: Sinn 556i, with DragonFly (Nishijin/ZDP-189).

For wilder times: Heavily-modded (by me) G-Shock Rangeman, with everybody's favorite (PM2).
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Evil D wrote:GWS G10 Pro Diver
I think you just sold one (that watch)... love it. Definitely Spyderco-worthy!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Barkdog wrote:
Evil D wrote:GWS G10 Pro Diver
I think you just sold one (that watch)... love it. Definitely Spyderco-worthy!
I absolutely love it. Pics don't do it justice. If you like a clean watch face and a field watch design, I don't think it can be beat. The only thing I miss is having the day along with the date, and I wouldn't mind if they made the numbers glow in the dark along with the tritium, and I would love it if the 3/6/9 numbers were orange like 12 is, but those are just minor details. So far it has been dead nuts accurate and I rarely take it off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Another Combo,for blue days.
Attachments
kahr delica & invicta.JPG
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

sh00ter

Post by sh00ter »

I'm new to Spyderco & this is my first post. I got a couple for Christmas & love the PM2. I'll be getting more!

This is the stuff that goes with me daily but the guns, holsters, & fountain pens are rotated out regularly.
Attachments
IMG_2142.jpg
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

IWC Pilot Chronograph (3777)

remnar

Post by remnar »

Nothin' fancy, just pulled the knife and phone out of my pocket and snapped a picture. :) :spyder:

DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

beatup oyster perpetual w/ modded techno:
TechRol.jpg
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Archimede Pilot Chronograph in the style of a German Flieger Uhr. Archimede is a German company located in Pforzheim. They are relatively unknown unless you happen to know a lot about German watch manufacturers that make Flieger-style watches. They have produced some of the best German watch cases for the past century and started making their own complete watches about 20 or 30 years ago. They make an incredibly good watch for the price.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:Archimede Pilot Chronograph in the style of a German Flieger Uhr. Archimede is a German company located in Pforzheim. They are relatively unknown unless you happen to know a lot about German watch manufacturers that make Flieger-style watches. They have produced some of the best German watch cases for the past century and started making their own complete watches about 20 or 30 years ago. They make an incredibly good watch for the price.

Very nice indeed. I hope you don't mind if I ask where you can purchase an Archimede?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Sure thing. You can buy them directly from Archimede. It takes about two weeks for them to assemble and ship your watch, from my experience. Archimede makes all the parts, except for the movement, which is a Swiss ETA/Valjou 7750. The watches are made-to-order depending on selected options, so they don't assemble it until you order it. And since you're not in the EU, you get it for the cheaper, tax-free price (no VAT).

http://www.archimede-watches.com/watches/pilot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other popular watch manufacturers that make Flieger-style watches are Stowa, Laco, and IWC. Flieger watches were originally designed for the German Luftwaffe in WW2. The design was meant to maximize legibility for the pilots. It was such a great design that it has persisted to this day and is still in great demand from watch buyers. Stowa, Laco and IWC all made Flieger watches for the Luftwaffe, but dozens of other companies have introduced their own interpretation of the design.

Watchmaking is a fascinating craft, much like the business of making innovative, high-end knives. They have a lot in common: keeping alive the knowledge and arcane skills passed down to us from previous generations of craftsmen, improving upon it and then passing that down to future generations.

There is an outstanding documentary (link below) about watchmaker George Daniels, who invented the coaxial escapement found in the current Omega movements, and his apprentice, Roger Smith. It does a great job of expressing exactly what being a watchmaker is all about.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2958390/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watches and knives are my two guilty pleasures in life, so this thread really speaks directly to my personal interests.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:Sure thing. You can buy them directly from Archimede. It takes about two weeks for them to assemble and ship your watch, from my experience. Archimede makes all the parts, except for the movement, which is a Swiss ETA/Valjou 7750. The watches are made-to-order depending on selected options, so they don't assemble it until you order it. And since you're not in the EU, you get it for the cheaper, tax-free price (no VAT).

http://www.archimede-watches.com/watches/pilot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other popular watch manufacturers that make Flieger-style watches are Stowa, Laco, and IWC. Flieger watches were originally designed for the German Luftwaffe in WW2. The design was meant to maximize legibility for the pilots. It was such a great design that it has persisted to this day and is still in great demand from watch buyers. Stowa, Laco and IWC all made Flieger watches for the Luftwaffe, but dozens of other companies have introduced their own interpretation of the design.

Watchmaking is a fascinating craft, much like the business of making innovative, high-end knives. They have a lot in common: keeping alive the knowledge and arcane skills passed down to us from previous generations of craftsmen, improving upon it and then passing that down to future generations.

There is an outstanding documentary (link below) about watchmaker George Daniels, who invented the coaxial escapement found in the current Omega movements, and his apprentice, Roger Smith. It does a great job of expressing exactly what being a watchmaker is all about.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2958390/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watches and knives are my two guilty pleasures in life, so this thread really speaks directly to my personal interests.
Hey thanks, man. I really appreciate that. :) I will certainly check them out. I have a few watches that I'll try to post here shortly. Thanks again for the info!

(Sorry for the thread de-rail, guys. :o )
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

https://goo.gl/photos/9BdSfWE4fDUU1nJv9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

A pair of Gayle Bradleys with a Citizen Promaster. This watch is Japanese-domestic-market only. Solar-powered Eco-drive, daily atomic clock synchronizing, dual time zones, micro-adjustable titanium bracelet, timer, chrono, etc. It even has an analog slide rule just inside the bezel.

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Shouldn't this thread be in the Picture Forum?

Anyway, here is what I've got today (have a Mule also, but wasn't gonna balance 2 knives and try to take a photo 1-handed, lol):
Going back to Caly.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Great thread idea! I am always shocked at how few people wear watches anymore. Working in Law Enforcement, a watch and a knife (or two) are essential carry items (as well as the gun obviously).

On duty:

Off-duty (dressy):
And lightweight/dressed down
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I normally wear my mechanical watches, but I absolutely love my G-Shocks. They are amazingly durable and are "their own person", so to speak. The design is purely Casio's own, borrowed or copied from no one. It stands on its own two legs and deserves every ounce of respect it gets.

That Seiko is a terrific watch as well. Seiko (unfortunately and undeservedly) doesn't get the respect that Swiss watches get, but Seiko is the only watchmaker besides Rolex that manufactures every part that goes into the watch themselves, including the lubricants. They are all excellent, from the bottom of the brand to the top.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Going back to Caly.