Spyderco Sprig

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SouthernCross

Spyderco Sprig

Post by SouthernCross »

G'day everyone.

First post here, but I'm not new to internet forums or using knives outdoors.

Been banned from a few 'cause I have no tolerance of the pure marketing BS I've seen from these forums.

At this point in time, I only have 2 Spyderco knives, the Southfork & the Sprig.

Being summer over here, the Southfork will have to wait till autumn / winter (in the Sth Hemisphere) before I provide links showing the Southfork being used to process animals.

However the Sprig has seen its first use here: https://youtu.be/HIQ2nTN5E4Q

My apologies for those who expect a lot of commentary while watching youtube videos, but my philosophy on youtube for many years has always been " don't listen to what I say, but focus on what I show".

Mick
Skidoosh

Re: Spyderco Sprig

Post by Skidoosh »

Thanks for the video, I've been looking for field use of the Sprig as I am very interested in it.
Were those all caddis? I didn't listen to the audio. Also what are your thoughts on the sheath?
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

With the exception of about 5 brown beetlles, most of the stomach contents were small aquatic snails.

IMO, the boltaron sheath on the sprig has firmer retention than the Southfork, so much so, that I'm thinking of getting rid of the belt clip and using it as a neck knife.

Mick
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Thanks for the video and review! This is a very attractive blade.

I've found it quite difficult to find real usage reviews of Spyderco's higher end fixed blades, probably because of the $$ required and all the alternatives that fit similar usage profiles already on the market. I appreciate you taking the time to get the Sprig on film in action, and also that impressive load of fish poop.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome to the forum.

I plan on picking a Sprig up soon myself. Thanks for the video.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Definitely on the birthday wish list. That is one awesome knife. Thanks for the video
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

Thanks for the welcome guys and glad you liked the video.
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

Some pics of the Sprig from a fishing trip a couple of days ago.

The more I use this knife, the more I like it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

> The more I use this knife, the more I like it.

Me too.

It's an amazing knife. :)
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

G'day Tom.
To be honest, it's that good that I'm saving up to get another one. :)
Reject

Post by Reject »

SouthernCross wrote:Some pics of the Sprig from a fishing trip a couple of days ago.

:D I’ve got a Spyderco Sprig on the way.

But after looking at that photo; :eek: it is either going to smaller than I was anticipating or that is a dam big fish.
How much can a Koala bear?
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Almost on top of my wish list, waiting for price to drop a little.

Carp fishing with artificial lure? Wow, southern fish are weird ;)
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

G'day Reject
Reject wrote:
SouthernCross wrote:Some pics of the Sprig from a fishing trip a couple of days ago.

:D I’ve got a Spyderco Sprig on the way.

But after looking at that photo; :eek: it is either going to smaller than I was anticipating or that is a dam big fish.
One of the reasons why the sprig appears in the pic is so that those who know the dimensions of the knife (blade length, overall length, etc) can judge for themselves how big the fish was (i.e the sprig was included for scale).

If I wanted to fool you, I would take a pic whilst holding the fish towards the camera, so that the pic made the fish appeared bigger that it really was. :D

Mick
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

G'day Commendatore
Commendatore wrote:Almost on top of my wish list, waiting for price to drop a little.

Carp fishing with artificial lure? Wow, southern fish are weird ;)
I don't know about that.

After I decided that "most of the internet world decided that Eurasian Carp being caught on lures was the exception rather than the rule" (except for a scented soft plastic cast close enough to the Carp that it could smell it and take it like they would a bait), I decided to present an alternative point of view.

As a matter of fact I shared my hypothesis with Cliff Stamp at least a year ago. :eek:

At this point in time I have posted over 163 videos on youtube (as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/user/southerncross100/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), showing Carp being caught with metal blades as well as small hard body minnow lures (with no added scent). Most showing the cast, hooking, fighting and landing of the Carp so that even the most cynical internet viewer would have no doubt the fish landed was hooked with a lure. :D

As a matter of fact I have consistently out fished bait fishermen & very good fly fishermen on Carp by using hardbodied lures. :)

As a well respected fisherman in Australia once said when it came to his favourite lure for Murray Cod..."it's not the arrow but the Indian" lol

Mick
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

A recent trip to the coast provided an opportunity to use the Sprig to cut up some raw steal into strip baits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qta5Pyga4BQ

and clean a feed of fish...

https://youtu.be/VM6oxZ44_ZA

I hope these videos help give people an idea of how the sprig performs.
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Mick, thanks again for all the info. And videos...

In fact, your 'Southfork vs. Sprig' tabletop comparison answered the final question that had been holding me back on the Sprig: how does it compare to the Southfork in terms of thickness behind the edge? Given how your video showed the Sprig is way thinner behind the edge, I now have to get one.

(I agree that the thickness behind the edge on the Southfork is fine, but I've been needing... ok, wanting... a thinner version for food prep, fishing, etc.)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Mick, thanks for posting the video's. I too am loving my Sprig. Cleaned 18 speckled perch (crappie) one day last week. Got my son one as a gift, and he's also loving it. At this point the Sprig is one of my favorite Spydies.......and I have quite a few. :D Hoping for a Phil Wilson Shelter Cove fillet knife, 8" or 9". Cheers. :spyder: