santoku/MBS26 rust resistance low?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flatearth

santoku/MBS26 rust resistance low?

Post by flatearth »

I recently got the santoku knife and after a few kitchen sessions, there are multiple rust spots forming.
Nothing "abusive" was done, like soaking the blade in vinegar.
It was just used normally in a kitchen setting; cut food stuff, wash with warm water and palmolive, air dry.

I'm pretty sure the MBS26 was designed to be highly corrosive resistant, because of its intended use...

So has anyone else had this experience?

I'll take photos if people want to see it.
Ankerson

Re: santoku/MBS26 rust resistance low?

Post by Ankerson »

Use some metal polish on the blade, that will help it in future use.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

flatearth wrote:I recently got the santoku knife and after a few kitchen sessions, there are multiple rust spots forming.
Nothing "abusive" was done, like soaking the blade in vinegar.
It was just used normally in a kitchen setting; cut food stuff, wash with warm water and palmolive, air dry.

I'm pretty sure the MBS26 was designed to be highly corrosive resistant, because of its intended use...

So has anyone else had this experience?

I'll take photos if people want to see it.
Hi flat,
I have had the same results with the same wash method you described, i think the key phrase is "air dried". I have found little rust spots from "air dry" too or as I like to call it maybe laziness on my part. I have found no rust spots after hand drying the Santoku. I really like this knife alot. I have found that by crumpling up a bit of aliminum foil and elbow grease will take those rust spots right off, again this has been my experience, thanks. :D
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Hm. I use the santoku quite a bit and haven't seen any issue. I do usually hand wash and dry them though.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've been using Spyderco MBS-26 kitchen knives almost exclusively for over 10 years. Have almost all of them, but the most used are the Small Utility and the Santoku. Treat them about the same as you, use, wash, air dry. Only difference is that I use Ivory instead of Palmolive. I've never found a rust spot on any of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use the large serrated utility knife in the kitchen regularly. So does my wife and everybody else. It sits around dirty a lot, often in the bottom of the sink. It is always hand washed but it is allowed to air dry most of the time. It has a little discoloration/staining but no real rust. Considering how it is treated it seems like a corrosion resistant steel.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My Santoku has a few water spots but no rust. Dry after use and it shouldn't be a problem. Love the Santoku, my favorite kitchen knife so far.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I've had some discoloration, but no rust on mine. Been using them since they first came out. I normally wipe them dry, but the rest of the family doesn't ;)
flatearth

Post by flatearth »

thanks for the replies

The rust is definitely just surface rust and I can easily clean it off.
I suppose I'm a little disappointed to see any rust form anywhere on this steel, since again, it is designed to be used in the kitchen.
I've had other spyderco folders in VG10 and S30V put away wet with no rust forming, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled, heh.
I also have an old flatware set from Ikea (like 15 years old or more) that happens to be "Made in Japan" and stamped "Stainless Steel" that have no rust anywhere and these forks/knives/spoons are used almost everyday, same hand wash and air dry. Usually the mystery "stainless steel" is crap, but these are fantastic.

Also, if it helps, I'm located in socal and I got this santoku last week during that "massive" rain storm (it rained quite a bit, but barely in my area) so perhaps the high humidity while air drying caused the surface rust formation? Just speculation on my part.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have 5 kitchen Spydercos with MBS26, two of them I am using since 2006. The same wash and air dry. No issues at all. May be something in your water?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

flatearth wrote:thanks for the replies

The rust is definitely just surface rust and I can easily clean it off.
I suppose I'm a little disappointed to see any rust form anywhere on this steel, since again, it is designed to be used in the kitchen.
I've had other spyderco folders in VG10 and S30V put away wet with no rust forming, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled, heh.
I also have an old flatware set from Ikea (like 15 years old or more) that happens to be "Made in Japan" and stamped "Stainless Steel" that have no rust anywhere and these forks/knives/spoons are used almost everyday, same hand wash and air dry. Usually the mystery "stainless steel" is crap, but these are fantastic.

Also, if it helps, I'm located in socal and I got this santoku last week during that "massive" rain storm (it rained quite a bit, but barely in my area) so perhaps the high humidity while air drying caused the surface rust formation? Just speculation on my part.

That is a little weird. I live right next to a "swamp" that's right next to the Atlantic Ocean and I've not seen any undue rust on any of my knives. The only exceptions are the ultra high rust receptive knives like high hardness 52100. Even then that's only after I cut a bunch of acidic stuff or hung out in the rain for awhile and didn't wash and dry it off.

I wonder if the water out of your faucet is highly acidic.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I live in SoCal, too. Our city water is very corrosive compared to water in Denver, Chicago, or Philadelphia. A retired plumber buddy told me that faucets he saw lasting 30-40 years in Illinois are ruined by our water in under a decade.
flatearth

Post by flatearth »

I suppose it could be the water, but I really hope it isn't, because it's the same water used for cooking lol...
dish washing, washing veggies, boiling pasta, etc. (except for coffee/tea/drinks/soups)
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

My Santoku also has small spots of rust/water stains on it. I baby the knife too. Handwash, wipe dry, etc. I was also disappointed that these kitchen knives develop what I consider to be a patina, even though they are not suppose to patina. Either way, it is still one of my most used knives and has replaced my more expensive Wusthof Classic knives.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

has anyone experienced small holes forming in the mbs-26 kitchen series?
[img][img]https://preview.ibb.co/bx4DCF/IMG_4177.jpg[/img]
image uploader[/img] all over the blade there are black spots und some small holes
kind regards julian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am using Spyderco MBS-26 kitchen knives since 2006 and no discoloration so far. I also bought recent Santoku, when they came out. So far so good.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian