Pm2 lock position

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slone

Pm2 lock position

Post by Slone »

Hi. (I did a quick search but couldn't find the right answer)

Which setting offer more resistance ?
Closer to the edge or to the center of the stop pin ?!

The right orange one is pinching my index finger if positioned on the choil.
Zenith

Re: Pm2 lock position

Post by Zenith »

Resistance to what?
Slone

Post by Slone »

.....To folding or breaking.
On a engineering point a view, which settings offer more resistance or strength ?
(Due to the position between the elements on this mechanism....)
Thank you
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I'll start by saying I'm not any sort of an engineer. On a liner lock or frame lock some people like really early lockup. This will offer less resistance to folding as there will be less contact being made on the tang. The compression lock on the PM2 is similar to a liner lock but with the added bonus of the lock bar being "compressed" between the tang and the stop pin. I've yet to see a PM2 that doesn't make full contact with the tang. Both of the locks pictured appear to be fully engaging the tang so there should be no difference. As the knives are used, a small amount of metal will wear away and the lock bar will work it's way over a little, (sometimes all the way across). Now I've got knives ranging from ridiculously early all the way to extremely late lockups and I've never had an issue with any. I really don't understand the recent obsession with ultimate lock strength? All I need is for it to withstand normal use and while at work the occasional light whack against some racking in case of an accidental slip or awkward positioned cut. My slip joints can handle that! I'm trying to figure out how it's pinching your index finger? I did find the edges on mine a tad sharp so I smoothed them at touch with some sandpaper then roughed up the part that my thumb makes contact with the release, (I'm a lefty) for better traction.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Later lockup would in theory be a little more secure but to answer your question pragmatically, neither. They are the same. I actually prefer early lockup as it gives more room to wear and I find that complocks with late lockup pinch my finger when I open them. On a comp lock I will take early over late for that reason alone.

I think you need to realize that if that lock fails that the liner tab popping out is very unlikely and that the force vectors on a comp lock are very different than on a liner lock. If either of those locks fail it would most likely involve blowing the stop pin out of the top of the handle or possibly you could crush the lock tab. I have had many liner and frame locks with a little slip but the comp lock is more solid as far as slip or rock is concerned and I think this is because of the perpendicular nature of the force. A liner lock applies force down the length of the lock bar and a comp lock applies force vertically to the stop pin.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Slone

Post by Slone »

Thank you for your response.
I'm not concerned about the efficacy of the PM2 locking system, nor feeling obsessed by ultimate lock-strength...
I know the reliability would be the same.
I was just curious about the configuration.

The pinching on my flaky skin is between the lock bar and the left part of the stop-pin inlay.
Probably due to fast detent and more running.....

Been a lefty is saving you from Ze Pinche !
Last edited by Slone on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slone

Post by Slone »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Later lockup would in theory be a little more secure but to answer your question pragmatically, neither. They are the same. I actually prefer early lockup as it gives more room to wear and I find that complocks with late lockup pinch my finger when I open them. On a comp lock I will take early over late for that reason alone.

I think you need to realize that if that lock fails that the liner tab popping out is very unlikely and that the force vectors on a comp lock are very different than on a liner lock. If either of those locks fail it would most likely involve blowing the stop pin out of the top of the handle or possibly you could crush the lock tab. I have had many liner and frame locks with a little slip but the comp lock is more solid as far as slip or rock is concerned and I think this is because of the perpendicular nature of the force. A liner lock applies force down the length of the lock bar and a comp lock applies force vertically to the stop pin.
Sorry, I didn't saw your post before responding to Spyderg.

Any ideas on how to make this pinching a bit less biting ? (Sanding, deforming,...)
I guess you can't really fix that, because it's probably due to a smal gap of matter which could not be filled.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a very worn S30V model and I think the lockup is a little later than yours. It only happens when I flick the knife open and I have just gotten used to it i guess. I think my grip has changed a little while opening too. I keep the meat of my index finger out of the way now without even really thinking about it. Are you saying it pinched you during use? I haven't had that problem so I may not be able to help.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Slone

Post by Slone »

No not during use, just when opening.

It doesn't matter if I flick it fast or if i do it gently...but as you said:
You would rapidely developed som kind of reflex !
Witch i did.
Major change and acomodation from my previous one.