Hap-40 performance thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Hap-40 performance thread

Post by jpm2 »

I have four hap40 knives from Spyderco, and although the blades perform better for me than most other commercial blades, I feel there was a lot left on the table during heat treat. The other high speed tool steel blades I have with 5, 8, and 10% cobalt (not talking about maxamet) are on a complete different level.

Hap40 has a lot more potential than what's been exhibited.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

It's ran softer than it could be... But so is Spyderco's VG-10 and I'd rather have it roll than chip so I'm fine.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

How does it compare to K390?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Skidoosh wrote:How does it compare to K390?
Done to my preference, I'd take hap40. As it stands, I'll take k390.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Never tried K390. Does Spyderco's chip or roll?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Any steel is susceptible to chipping, rolling, or both. Some just more than others. There's a lot of variables other than composition.
I find Spydercos k390 to be pretty good in this regard
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

My question implied the variables, particularly in regards to Spyderco's treatment of the material in question. S30v when ran at a lower HRC rolls, in my experience from Spyderco it tends to chip as it is ran at a higher HRC.

Spyderco's HAP-40 is ran hard but not at the highest hardness HAP-40 can handle and it's only rolled on me when put though a terrible situation. I've never had it micro chip like Spyderco's S30v either. It makes me wonder if Maxamet has broader potential at a lower hardness. I was curious if their K390 performed similar.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I would like to try hap40 a couple points harder, and maxamet a couple softer.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

jpm2 wrote:I would like to try hap40 a couple points harder, and maxamet a couple softer.
Yeah, the britleness/lack of edge stability that comes with that high hardness has been the only thing keeping me from Maxamet.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

My maxamet edges are pretty stable. Hap40 and most other steels roll before maxamet chips.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I hope it's ok to resurrect this thread. Since HAP40 has been around for a while now I'm hoping to find some info/advise and didn't think it would be appropriate for a new thread.

I have a HAP40 Endura that is almost ready for it's first sharpening. I generally only go as low as 30° inclusive on my knives, but am thinking of going down to 20° inclusive. Is HAP40 stable at that low angle? Any thoughts, opinions, anecdotes, data, etc.? I would like to be able to cut hard plastic using a lot of force and not damage the edge. Reading through this thread, I believe there was only one report of using a low angle on this steel and I'm hoping for more info.

Is there a consensus on a recommended angle for HAP40?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I run mine at 30 inclusive with a 40 microbevel. In my experience it can get to a very high "sticky sharp" phase but it does not last very long. It does retain a very sharp usable edge. Overall its an OK steel but has not really captured me. I prefer K390 or superblue. I do appreciate it being available.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:30 pm
I hope it's ok to resurrect this thread. Since HAP40 has been around for a while now I'm hoping to find some info/advise and didn't think it would be appropriate for a new thread.

I have a HAP40 Endura that is almost ready for it's first sharpening. I generally only go as low as 30° inclusive on my knives, but am thinking of going down to 20° inclusive. Is HAP40 stable at that low angle? Any thoughts, opinions, anecdotes, data, etc.? I would like to be able to cut hard plastic using a lot of force and not damage the edge. Reading through this thread, I believe there was only one report of using a low angle on this steel and I'm hoping for more info.

Is there a consensus on a recommended angle for HAP40?
I have a HAP40 Delica somewhere around 20-25° inclusive, and never once had anything that could even resemble a microchip. Never had problems on any of my other HAP40 knives either. I've seen little chips on my S30v, ZDP, XHP, and even my M4 in rare cases, I can be pretty abusive on my knives. Considering some of those steels were no less than 30 inclusive, I think that speaks alot for HAP40 – it is probably one of the top performers in this regard as far as my experience is concerned, its got the stability of a very fine grained carbon steel like 12c27 but without the softness or rolling, and it has wear resistance like a proper hard tool steel should have.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Thanks for the input @Skidoosh and @youmakemehole. I'm going to try it at 20° inclusive and see what happens.