Hap-40 performance thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Hap-40 performance thread

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok folks, we need more feedback from the users here on how this steel is performing. I was just leaving a post on Jim's steel ranking thread over on BF but thought it would be nice to start a thread here too to talk specifically about the performance of this steel. I have carried my Delica for the last couple of weeks and have done some rope cutting so I will leave some initial impressions here. Rather than retyping everything I am just going to copy and paste the post that I left in Jim's thread. Looking forward to hearing others report in with their results. I LOVE this steel!!!

I received a Hap40 Delica a couple of weeks ago and have done some sharpening and testing on 5/8" hemp rope. I have carried the knife as an "edc" the whole time but honestly, outside of fish cleaning I just don't use my pocket knife too much so it takes me a long time to build even a rough idea of steel performance. What I can pass along is my experience so far in sharpening and rope cutting.

Hap40 sharpens to a very keen edge with minimal fuss. A microbevel takes it to screaming sharp in just a few passes and it seems to be more forgiving to my technique than steels like s110v and s90v. I haven't polished the edge yet but given how sharp this steel gets off a 1200 dmt I am confident that it can be taken to hht sharpness with another 60 seconds of refinement. I am able to get a bit higher level of initial sharpness out of m4 than I am from s90v/s110v, and a hap40 easily goes to the next level beyond that. I'd put it more in line with Hitachi's super blue in ability to take high level sharpness.

As far as rope cutting, I have only done one test and it isn't much like how jim does his tests so I'm not sure if anyone will find this useful. Rather than trying to test to a determined level of sharpness (or dullness) I make a large number of cuts with two knives and measure sharpness after the cutting. In this example, I compared the hap40 Delica to a Manix 2 in s110v. Both were finished on a 1200 grit dmt and both would grab beard hair on contact. Well, the s110v would grab and the hap40 would bite into it like a pitbull. I tried everything to get the s110v to that exact level and just couldn't quiiiiite get it there so went ahead and ran the test. What was immediately apparent was that geometry was going to make the test unfair. The Manix is much thicker stock and thicker behind the edge than the thinly ground sprint run Delica (thinner even than the standard Delica I believe). There was a notable difference in force and pressure required from the first cut that was obviously due to blade geometry.

I used 5/8" hemp and would make a 4 slice motion...forward/back/forward/back. I could easily cut the rope with one motion but I'm trying to create wear as quickly as possible so i do the sawing motion. After 80 cuts (which is 320 back and forth motions) I tested the two steels. The hap40 edge had significantly more bite. Both would still shave but the s110v required more pressure...almost scrape shaving. Both would still cleanly slice magazine paper but the hap40 made a significantly cleaner cut. The s110v wanted to snag just a tiny bit in a couple of places.

FWIW, I have tested s30v in the same way and both of these steels outperformed it. I have also done the same testing with an m4 custom (Gayle Bradley Flipper) that is ground to .010-.012 bte. M4 at that grind was comparable to the more thick s110v blade but under performed the hap40 Delica, which though thinly ground is still thicker than the m4 custom.

My thoughts on this steel so far are very favorable. I like high edge retention and wear resistance but not at the cost of ease of sharpening and initial sharpness level. That is why my preferences sometimes lean towards the slightly less wear resistant steels. I believe this is the best steel I have used as far as giving great edge retention while remaining very easy to bring to high level sharpness. One of my favorites for this combination of qualities has long been m4 but from what I have seen so far, hap40 outperforms it in both areas. It is capable of achieving higher initial sharpness (given my ability and protocol) and so far is showing better edge retention.
El Gato

Re: Hap-40 performance thread

Post by El Gato »

Thank you very much for your time and effort in making this test and posting the results along with your comments Lance. This is just the kind of thing I enjoy reading because it is interesting as well as educational in a real world application. Great job on your part, as usual.

I am enjoying a bit of "testing" myself, getting to know my new Mule Team 21. Very impressed with the CPM 4V steel so far. Can't wait to get this Mule out in the woods!

Thanks again for your review on the HAP-40. Enjoyed it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

El Gato wrote:Thank you very much for your time and effort in making this test and posting the results along with your comments Lance. This is just the kind of thing I enjoy reading because it is interesting as well as educational in a real world application. Great job on your part, as usual.

I am enjoying a bit of "testing" myself, getting to know my new Mule Team 21. Very impressed with the CPM 4V steel so far. Can't wait to get this Mule out in the woods!

Thanks again for your review on the HAP-40. Enjoyed it.
Thanks bud, these are just initial impressions after a single test so I don't want to get too carried away talking about the edge retention until this one has seen much more use. What I've observed about the sharpening though is quite real and I am very happy with the steel in that regard. I'm anxious to hear reports from other users as our collective experience and results will be more meaningful than one person's observations.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

So you're saying we should ask for a solid slab in a Superleaf sprint, then? ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I cut up 5 large heavyweight cardboard boxes using a HAP40 Delica and it started to lose its lightsaber slicing abilities towards the end. A few passes on the sharpmaker stones and it was back to scary sharp. I almost never cut cardboard just wanted to test it out.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

HAP40 is the only steel that actually scares me. It will cut you without you even knowing it.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I think HAP40 in the thin and slicey Delica platform is superb! I've found it to hold a high level of sharpness for a long time, and it touches up quickly on the white stones. It doesn't patina very quickly either, not like I imagined it would.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice elaborate break down, Lance. I usually don't go as far as head to head comparisons between steels, other than just comparing daily use between knives (very unscientific). But I do enjoy seeing what others come up with.
I can relate to much of what you mention, and agree.

I don't really mind if I have to get on the Sharpmaker for touchups. It gives me a chance to look over my knife and can be enjoyable. (Sometimes I feel like some people begging for S110V in everything are just hoping to avoid ever using a sharpening device.)

Has anyone noticed chipping?
I have not.
No chipping experienced on either of my HAP40 knives.
Just thought I would ask.
Was a bit baffled to see a mention of chipping by a member on BF. Not sure what happened there.

WireEdge Roger wrote:I think HAP40 in the thin and slicey Delica platform is superb! I've found it to hold a high level of sharpness for a long time, and it touches up quickly on the white stones. It doesn't patina very quickly either, not like I imagined it would.

I agree, so far all-around this is a very enjoyable steel for a knife user. I really dig patina, but slow and easy and not overreactive is great for an edc.

Oh, and I will add the fact that I have noticed these HAP40 knives may be healthier for your diet!

I find myself buying and eating larger quantities of fruits and vegetables for snacks than normal, just so I can enjoy slicing and peeling them! :D :p
Going back to Caly.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Image

You just wrote 1000 words there.
Well put. ;)
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, ok. After seeing Darby post I went over to the Sharpmaker and made about 10 or 12 careful passes on the 40 degree micro bevel with the regular fine rods. Plucked a hair out of my head (which is usually a bit hard to whittle since it's so fine) and went to work. I had a very hard time getting this photo because every time I would touch the hair to the edge it would just break in half. No idea what this steel would do off the extra fine stones. This stuff gets every bit as sharp as super blue if not sharper.

elena86

Post by elena86 »

This is sick man ! Love it !
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

My feelings fall in line with you all.

Easy to make this thing very very sharp. I have the thinner being Delica. I would put this above my Superblue Dragonfly in ease of attainment and level of sharpness.

Now edge holding is where the HAP 40 falls a little short. Not on the edge holding level of say CTS 204P. It is very easy to bring it back though.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sounds very good! still have to wait for funds to be able to get some HAP 40 myself..
with US steels now making it to Japan wouldn´t it become an option for some Golden sprints in something like this? ;)
(or in Superblue)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:My feelings fall in line with you all.

Easy to make this thing very very sharp. I have the thinner being Delica. I would put this above my Superblue Dragonfly in ease of attainment and level of sharpness.

Now edge holding is where the HAP 40 falls a little short. Not on the edge holding level of say CTS 204P. It is very easy to bring it back though.
I'm glad you mentioned CTS 204P.I know people are excited about the upcoming M4 Para2 and I am too , but I tell you that: my M390 Para2 is my best performer so far.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Surfingringo wrote:

I like high edge retention and wear resistance but not at the cost of ease of sharpening and initial sharpness level.

I think you've pretty much exactly summed up where I've arrived in my own thinking.

I haven't used my Hap40 Delica enough to say much about performance, other than it seems to touch up faster than VG-10 and holds an edge better too. Good enough to pick up a second one; only model I own an exact duplicate of now.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:HAP40 is the only steel that actually scares me. It will cut you without you even knowing it.
My Gayle Bradley bit me something awful on the first unboxing "session", you know the kind of cut you feel but there's no blood until you examine the cut and squeeze a little :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Now I'm dreaming of a HAP 40 Chaparral.

I'll eagerly await the HAP 40 Dragonfly, though.
Skellz

Post by Skellz »

Nice write up. I'm really enjoying my Delica in HAP40 also, definitely a pocket laser.

Although after using mine on cardboard when I first got it I noticed it had a small chip in one spot, maybe due to a wire factory edge perhaps? Anyway I've used it further on more boxes and not had anymore chips appear so I'm sure after a sharpen it will be fine.
Sprig - Mule M390 - Military Cruwear - GB1 - GB2 - Para 2 S35VN - Delica HAP40 - Domino - PITS - Salt 1 SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

twinboysdad wrote:So you're saying we should ask for a solid slab in a Superleaf sprint, then? ;)
Yes, I believe that's what he's saying. :D
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”