Black Yojimbo 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Black Yojimbo 2

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I hope the person who took this photo doesn't mind that I borrowed it. I figured there would be a few (Evil D) who would be interested in the mod that this person had done to his Yojimbo 2 (x2). I believe he used duracoat or possibly cerakote. I think we've seen this mod before which implies to me at least that people really want it. I'm not a big fan of modding my knives so my only hope of ever owning something like this is if Sal would make it for me (us). I'm not alone in thinking it would be a big hit. The post on the fan Facebook page I took this from has 250 likes which is way higher than most things I see on there.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mushroom

Re: Black Yojimbo 2

Post by Mushroom »

Saw that in the FB group as well, and I would LOVE to see this put into production. DLC, of course, not Cerakote though :D
And i totally agree with not modding your knives, I personally prefer to keep them as they come from factory.
-Nick :bug-red
losinground

Post by losinground »

I would love also to see a trainer version of the Yo2.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I think a blacked out Yoj 2 would sell really well.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

losinground wrote:I would love also to see a trainer version of the Yo2.
There is a fixed Yo2 trainer at Stay Safe although I am sure you meant a folder trainer
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'd rather see one with a beautiful patina on the 52100 blade. ;)
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've begged for this for some time but Mike isn't into it so it will probably never happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not sure who's pic that is but a forum member named rambopenguin had his coated. He isn't very active on here but is on the USN forum.I am sure it would sell well but i would pass myself. I just don't like coated blades.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I guess if the idea is that it's a self defense knife you would want the blade to be shiny as it might help scare off your attacker. That does defeat the purposes of the DLC coating.

Have hope though, Spyderco makes stuff just because it looks cool all the time. The DLC cutlery shoppe para 2 comes to mind. We just have to hope a dealer commissions an all black yojimbo 2 exclusive ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Saw this on the FB as well and thought they were just awesome. My old black-coated Police and black Endura 1 are both favorites of mine for this same reason. The dull flat black has a cool factor compared to the standard Spyderco DLC they use now which is pretty shiny (but still very nice).

I also like this attention to details like the matching black hardware, and how well done and even the coating looks. It would be sweet to see something like this as a sprint.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I guess if the idea is that it's a self defense knife you would want the blade to be shiny as it might help scare off your attacker. That does defeat the purposes of the DLC coating.

Have hope though, Spyderco makes stuff just because it looks cool all the time. The DLC cutlery shoppe para 2 comes to mind. We just have to hope a dealer commissions an all black yojimbo 2 exclusive ;)
I just need to become an authorized dealer, and it would be the first exclusive I commission. Perhaps with a different blade steel.

I'll keep dreaming.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had a really surprising experience with my old DLC Para 2 (apart from it trying to kill me). It seemed to me that it drew far less attention than the satin Para 2 it replaced. I expected the black to be more tactical and menacing to other people, and maybe once they realize what it is or if you're flashing it at people it probably is, but it definitely seemed much more low key and subdued, and I really like that in an EDC. I don't really know what that means as far as self defense goes as I don't really see my knives as weapons unless I have no other choice. I would have done a coating like this myself already if it would hold up near as well as DLC does.
~David
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Looks fantastic.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

He just posted on the FB that he's selling one today. Price is to be announced, curious what he asks. It's like a one-man self commissioned sprint, kinda cool.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Looks good. I wonder how durable the coating is?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

That looks superb. A sprint of costed blade yo2's could be a strong seller.

For something different how about dlc on the s110 and blurple that is coming out? That would be a cool combo with the custom g10 color
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm not on the Facebook page to see what they ask for that, but anybody here could send one to Josh @ RazorEdge to have cerakoted, or one of any of the many other people with ability to coat out there... have seen him do Gayle Bradleys and Vallottons for FriarPhenn and they looked good.
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just won't waste my money on anything that isn't AT LEAST as durable as DLC, since even DLC can get scratched off. I've had way too many cheap coated knives that ended up looking like they were dragged through a field of sandpaper. My Para 2 held up like a champ so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another coated knife but only if it's actual DLC. Maybe if we stir up enough interest one of the online vendors will commission an exclusive, that seems to be the only way this is ever going to be a reality. The last time I made a thread about it, Sal mentioned that it's up to Michael, and he told me he isn't into black blades. That's too bad, it seems like a lot of the black blades got a lot of attention, like the PPT, the Southard, there's more than a couple fixed blades. I feel like the interest is there so I don't get the hesitation.
~David
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Evil D wrote:I just won't waste my money on anything that isn't AT LEAST as durable as DLC, since even DLC can get scratched off. I've had way too many cheap coated knives that ended up looking like they were dragged through a field of sandpaper. My Para 2 held up like a champ so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another coated knife but only if it's actual DLC. Maybe if we stir up enough interest one of the online vendors will commission an exclusive, that seems to be the only way this is ever going to be a reality. The last time I made a thread about it, Sal mentioned that it's up to Michael, and he told me he isn't into black blades. That's too bad, it seems like a lot of the black blades got a lot of attention, like the PPT, the Southard, there's more than a couple fixed blades. I feel like the interest is there so I don't get the hesitation.
Any military folks out there who need a blacked out Yojimbo?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ohcyclist wrote:
Any military folks out there who need a blacked out Yojimbo?
That was part of my argument for it, plus I just figured a subdued blade for SD made sense but I guess not. :(
~David