Concerned

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
germ

Concerned

Post by germ »

I tried to post this in the spyderco fakes forum but I couldn't start a new topic there. So this will be my first spyderco knife, and I was unaware until after I bought it that there was such a huge counterfiet problem. I bought a Manix 2 from Ebay, from a seller who's had their account for 15 years and has tons of ratings. But if you go in and look at the negatives there are several people saying they sent them fake knives. My question is, has anyone seen this vendor sell fake knives? Or has anyone ever recieved a fake knife from them?

Are Manix 2's being faked? If so what should I look for when I recieve it?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/supremesolution ... 2749.l2754

EDIT
I recieved the knife today. From what I know to look for on the box, it looks legit. But it didn't come with any paperwork, nothing. Don't they usually come with some papers? A warranty at the least? Far as the knife goes, I couldn't tell you. I'll post pictures this weekend when I'm around some one who has a quality camera on their phone. My phone doesn't take good picture.

UPDATE, pictures
http://imgur.com/zI3gDbB
http://imgur.com/6zHToBm
http://imgur.com/nXJQ7Rp
http://imgur.com/X1DcK2J
http://imgur.com/BpLObR2
http://imgur.com/ehOKmRK
http://imgur.com/FNdYI9Z
Last edited by germ on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
SpyderNut

Re: Concerned

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Germ,

Welcome to the Forum. For what it is worth, a lot of folks tend not to buy Spyderco knives from places like e-Bay and Amazon simply because of the odds of getting a fake. I will say, however, that I have personally purchased several authentic Spyderco knives through supremesolution in the past and have never received a fake from them. If in doubt, I would contact them directly and return the knife and ask for a refund. It is *always* safer to purchase Spyderco knives directly through authorized vendors, such as Knife Works, Knife Center, New Graham Knives, Grand Prairie Knives, Blade HQ, Oso Grande Knives, etc., etc.

Hope this helps!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

I've bought a handful of blades through that ebay seller without issues.
germ

Post by germ »

SpyderNut wrote:Hi Germ,

Welcome to the Forum. For what it is worth, a lot of folks tend not to buy Spyderco knives from places like e-Bay and Amazon simply because of the odds of getting a fake. I will say, however, that I have personally purchased several authentic Spyderco knives through supremesolution in the past and have never received a fake from them. If in doubt, I would contact them directly and return the knife and ask for a refund. It is *always* safer to purchase Spyderco knives directly through authorized vendors, such as Knife Works, Knife Center, New Graham Knives, Grand Prairie Knives, Blade HQ, Oso Grande Knives, etc., etc.

Hope this helps!
It does, thank you. I'm pretty obsessive so all I've been thinking about for the last few hours is whether or not I just bought a fake 80 dollar knife.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

germ wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Hi Germ,

Hope this helps!
It does, thank you. I'm pretty obsessive so all I've been thinking about for the last few hours is whether or not I just bought a fake 80 dollar knife.
No problem. I've been in your shoes before (in terms of receiving a fake) and it is no fun. :( Best of luck in getting things resolved!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

The important thing is that you are covered through PayPal. For some of us here like me, it's no big deal if I get a fake, though it hasn't happened yet. You send it back, you get a new one, the seller apologies, and you're not really out anything except a few minutes of your time. Most of the time I will take a better price even if it comes with the risk of a tiny bit of hassle. Sometimes, like today when a new model drops, I go straight to my favorite well known dealer and click before they're all gone.

But if the security of knowing you have a legit one is worth paying a little more to you, then it's certainly not a bad way to go sticking with one of the well known sellers. Honestly, half the time I forget I ordered something and it comes as a surprise. If I obsessed over the legitimacy of something I ordered, then I would stick to the sellers mentioned here.

To me, getting a good deal is just as exciting most of the time as the item itself. It's almost a sport itself snapping a rare up on flea bay or snagging something right when it drops. And when the day comes that I get a fake knife, well, I only have a couple hundred others to carry while I'm waiting on the replacement, which the seller better be sending via expedited shipping and slathered with apologies. Because in this game, the buyer holds all the cards. And sellers don't get 50,000 positive ratings from screwing everyone. Hopefully those two facts give you some comfort.
germ

Post by germ »

TheOutdoorNerd wrote:The important thing is that you are covered through PayPal. For some of us here like me, it's no big deal if I get a fake, though it hasn't happened yet. You send it back, you get a new one, the seller apologies, and you're not really out anything except a few minutes of your time. Most of the time I will take a better price even if it comes with the risk of a tiny bit of hassle. Sometimes, like today when a new model drops, I go straight to my favorite well known dealer and click before they're all gone.

But if the security of knowing you have a legit one is worth paying a little more to you, then it's certainly not a bad way to go sticking with one of the well known sellers. Honestly, half the time I forget I ordered something and it comes as a surprise. If I obsessed over the legitimacy of something I ordered, then I would stick to the sellers mentioned here.

To me, getting a good deal is just as exciting most of the time as the item itself. It's almost a sport itself snapping a rare up on flea bay or snagging something right when it drops. And when the day comes that I get a fake knife, well, I only have a couple hundred others to carry while I'm waiting on the replacement, which the seller better be sending via expedited shipping and slathered with apologies. Because in this game, the buyer holds all the cards. And sellers don't get 50,000 positive ratings from screwing everyone. Hopefully those two facts give you some comfort.
Pretty much the exact opposite for me, this will be my first high quality folder. The only other folder I have is my RAT-1 that I've carried for the last few years. I don't have a whole collection of knives to choose from while I wait for my problems to be resolved. But you are right, I am covered by Paypal and Ebay.
The problem is I wouldn't know how to tell a fake knife from a real one just by looking at it. I've been doing some research into the subject and there are a few ways to tell just by looking at the box, but I'm having trouble finding anyone reporting a faked Manix 2. It's mostly PM2, Military's.

I also don't find shopping enjoyable, and I'm not a knife collector. I'm just looking to get a high quality knife @ an affordable price that will be dependable and keep a good edge for a long period of time. The AUS-8 on my RAT-1 has no retention, soon as I cut anything with it it looses that fine hair popping edge. Usually I can strop it back, but I don't want to do constant blade maintenance. I don't find it fun. Plus the RAT-1 is a liner lock.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

That particular knife and with the seller having so many positive ratings, I would say the chances are good you will get a legit one.

You might try cancelling the order with the seller or contacting them to make sure they look at it before sending.

Certainly post photos here when you get it, if it's too late to cancel. There's almost always clear signs of a fake you can see in the photos. Also remember that you don't hear about the 1,000,000 ones that aren't fakes, so it may seem that there are more fakes out there than there really are. If you really have to know, you can always send it to Spyderco and for a small fee they will look at it. Also, the way Spyderco does the FRN models, it's very hard to fake. Any random Chinese company can make a knife with G10.

In the future, you probably want to stick with the well known sellers here, which there are plenty of. Most of the sellers are owned by people who like sharp objects as much as we do, so why not reward them with a sale.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I have purchased multiple legitimate Spydercos from them over the last five years or so.
germ

Post by germ »

I sent them a message asking if they sent me a fake knife or not, lol. And where they get their Sypderco knives from. The knife is already in transit so, I guess I will post pictures here once it arrives.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I don't buy many knives on Ebay but my only purchase from this dealer was legit. Don't think you have anything to worry about. Enjoy the new knife.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

They are a huge seller, and I think that's where most of their issues come from. When you sell that much on eBay, you're bound to pick up some negative feedback, regardless of whether it's your fault or not.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I don't know the seller but I haven't heard of the Manix being copied, it's a difficult design to counterfeit so I think you're ok.

Maybe we should start a thread for the good authorized dealers on ebay, they are there.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I don't know the seller but I haven't heard of the Manix being copied, it's a difficult design to counterfeit so I think you're ok.

Maybe we should start a thread for the good authorized dealers on ebay, they are there.
Yes absolutely.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
germ

Post by germ »

Bump, edit OP.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wouldn't be concerned with that site based on the theme of items and the general prices. You never know but they would have to put together a pretty extensive network of products.

The older Spydies didn't always come with documentation. These days there is more and more information in the box. Did you get a hollow-ground or flat ground one? 154cm or CPM-S30v?
germ

Post by germ »

Blerv wrote:I wouldn't be concerned with that site based on the theme of items and the general prices. You never know but they would have to put together a pretty extensive network of products.

The older Spydies didn't always come with documentation. These days there is more and more information in the box. Did you get a hollow-ground or flat ground one? 154cm or CPM-S30v?
Flat, CPM s30V. One of the new ones.
germ

Post by germ »

Bump, pictures added to first post.
germ

Post by germ »

Really? 18 people have looked at the pictures and not a single opinion?
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Looks legit to me...
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear