Why I don't like Spyderco wire clip connection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Why I don't like Spyderco wire clip connection

Post by MichaelScott »

I normally keep my Dragonfly 2 clipped to my left rear pocket and the other Spyderco clipped in the right pocket. Sitting and watching the Broncos, I reached for the Dragonfly tonight and found it was almost out of the pocket. Although I had checked the clip yesterday, making certain it was tight, this somehow happened:

I do not recall bumping or snagging the clip on anything but even if I did I would expect that the clip and attachment would have held under reasonable pressure.

I would like to see a more secure attachment for the wire clips. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Re: Why I don't like Spyderco wire clip connection

Post by Evil D »

Seems sort of impossible unless the clip was bent or the edge of the FRN was damaged. I once wrecked a bicycle pretty bad while carrying a Caly 3 and landed on my hip really hard and it bent the clip sideways about 90 degrees but the clip didn't break or pop out. Of course, that's with CF scales, not FRN so maybe that's why.

By the way, that kick was hilarious, that guy is getting fired, and the Broncos are about to get sent home empty handed :D

.. Or not lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That would be "not". It is puzzling. Relatively new Dragonfly. Clip is not bent. I checked the tightness yesterday. I haven't caught it n anything or bumped it in my pocket. As the photos show, the FRN is undamaged. Obviously something caused one end to slip out, but I have no idea why but my best guess is that the screw came loose somehow in the last 24 hours.

I removed the clip and have it in my pocket now.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd put it back together with some locktite. I've carried a lot of wire clip knives and have never had any issues like this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've never had that happen either. :confused:
:bug-red-white
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Huh, never seen nor experienced that one! :o
Going back to Caly.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

MichaelScott wrote:I normally keep my Dragonfly 2 clipped to my left rear pocket and the other Spyderco clipped in the right pocket. Sitting and watching the Broncos, I reached for the Dragonfly tonight and found it was almost out of the pocket. Although I had checked the clip yesterday, making certain it was tight, this somehow happened:

I do not recall bumping or snagging the clip on anything but even if I did I would expect that the clip and attachment would have held under reasonable pressure.

I would like to see a more secure attachment for the wire clips. Any thoughts or recommendations?
It's physically impossible for this to happen if the screw was tight and the clip not deformed.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Has happened to me with my h1 dragonfly. First I caught it against a stairway railing somehow and completely ripped the clip off but was no damage to the frn. Got home, took the screw out, bent the clip back to shape and put it back in, made sure the clip was nice and tight. Went to use it like a week later and after I used it and went to put it back in my pocket I noticed the clip was about to come off like yours you posted. Who, what, when, where, why, how, I have no idea. But it's one reason why I don't care much for wire clips.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Man, that is not cool. I like wire clips but they do have their downsides. I dropped a Ti squeak in a clean toilet one time bc of the wire clip not holding securely enough for the weight of the knife. What if you put a tiny amount of loctite on the screw and in the grooves the clip rests in?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hmm. That is indeed strange. Never had that happen to me, but I did have the wire clip shift on my D'fly2 once after I sat down on it by accident. :rolleyes:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

I also find that pretty strange, the bolt has to be loose for that to happen if there is no damage to the frn
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Man, that is not cool. I like wire clips but they do have their downsides. I dropped a Ti squeak in a clean toilet one time bc of the wire clip not holding securely enough for the weight of the knife. What if you put a tiny amount of loctite on the screw and in the grooves the clip rests in?

I'd imagine that has a bit more to do with the smooth metal handles lacking traction. I have similar issues with some of my RIL's, even with regular hourglass clips.
Going back to Caly.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:Hmm. That is indeed strange. Never had that happen to me, but I did have the wire clip shift on my D'fly2 once after I sat down on it by accident. :rolleyes:
Shift or shatter? Hehe jk
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Man, that is not cool. I like wire clips but they do have their downsides. I dropped a Ti squeak in a clean toilet one time bc of the wire clip not holding securely enough for the weight of the knife. What if you put a tiny amount of loctite on the screw and in the grooves the clip rests in?

I'd imagine that has a bit more to do with the smooth metal handles lacking traction. I have similar issues with some of my RIL's, even with regular hourglass clips.
Good point SpeedHoles. Didn't think about that. I also wonder if the rounded wire clip surface also adds to the slickness vs the flat surface area of the PM2 style clip
Spydergirl88
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think this happened because the clip slid up and out of the slot. If the bend is round enough on the wire it can squeeze out. I accidentally bent a wire clip out once and bent it back and as a result the bend was't exactly right on the clip and it was a little more rounded than the sort of 90 degrees they come at. It slid out easily so I swapped the clip and it is fine now. I don't think that the top bend in the clip has to be off by much to allow this on some models. I also bent a wire clip once and it snapped when I tried to bend it back. I don't care for wire clips myself but have plenty of them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Hmm. That is indeed strange. Never had that happen to me, but I did have the wire clip shift on my D'fly2 once after I sat down on it by accident. :rolleyes:
Shift or shatter? Hehe jk
Lol. And this is why I have started to cut back on sweets. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have a few Spydercos with wire clips. I don't hate them, but they are definitely not my favorite. They are easier to snag and bend and harder to bend back into their original shape. I would be much happier with the hourglass clip on all my folders.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I love the wire clips. I've bent, broke, and rolled/folded them to the side before (both wires rotating in the mount), but they've never come out. I find them less prone to breaking than many other clips.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

With the exception of knives that seem to work with a minimalist clip like the Dragonfly, chaparral and Kiwi4 I would prefer a hourglass clip on my folders. I wish the Sages had four way hourglass clips myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you remove the clip, the DF2 makes a _fantastic_ key chain knife. I like it a lot more than the ladybug I used to have on there.