Ulize Doubts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tarrnack S

Re: Ulize Doubts

Post by Tarrnack S »

Evil D wrote:
TheOutdoorNerd wrote:
Evil D wrote: Maybe, but I have also made requests to dealers to check for blade centering and blade play for me, and they have done so. I paid a crap ton of money for the 20CP Para 2 sprint long after it had come and gone, and I asked the dealer to check for those things and they did. If you explained to them how much those things mean to you, and that it could avoid a return, I'm sure they would help you out. If they don't, then it's time to find yourself a new dealer.
Yeah. I seem to be lucky, so I just take the luck of the draw knowing there's not too many lemons / fakes / etc. out there, and there's little risk to me as a buyer.

I think Spyderco do a good enough job with quality control that this sort of thing is pretty isolated. If you spend enough time on this forum you're going to see it pop up now and then, but think about how many knives are sold between instances.

I forgot to mention, the stiff action does seem to be a product of having such a large blade. The close bias on this knife is quite strong since the blade is so big. I've lubed mine and even loosened the pivot some and it's still pretty tight. Tight may not even be the word to describe it, it's just that initial force you have to overcome to get the blade past about 1/3 open.
Funny my first high end spidey was a rare snafu. The quality control on the Resilience is insane. I would say it is **** near flawless. For a 45 dollar knife that's just remarkable.

I always keep it just a little under tight, slightly lose. No play or anything, just a little lose. Enough for the momentum of the blade to open the knife with very little effort. I just recently tried out the Emerson wave zip tie mod.

I love the fact every Spyderco folder has that option. I tried it with the Ulize and it deployed blazing fast, even with the fairly stiff nature of the lockup. I love the wave mod, looks ugly as all **** but it could save your life. I wish Spyderco came out with a separate attachment you can put on to class it up a bit.
Tarrnack S

Post by Tarrnack S »

Evil D wrote:
TheOutdoorNerd wrote:
Evil D wrote: Maybe, but I have also made requests to dealers to check for blade centering and blade play for me, and they have done so. I paid a crap ton of money for the 20CP Para 2 sprint long after it had come and gone, and I asked the dealer to check for those things and they did. If you explained to them how much those things mean to you, and that it could avoid a return, I'm sure they would help you out. If they don't, then it's time to find yourself a new dealer.
Yeah. I seem to be lucky, so I just take the luck of the draw knowing there's not too many lemons / fakes / etc. out there, and there's little risk to me as a buyer.

I think Spyderco do a good enough job with quality control that this sort of thing is pretty isolated. If you spend enough time on this forum you're going to see it pop up now and then, but think about how many knives are sold between instances.

I forgot to mention, the stiff action does seem to be a product of having such a large blade. The close bias on this knife is quite strong since the blade is so big. I've lubed mine and even loosened the pivot some and it's still pretty tight. Tight may not even be the word to describe it, it's just that initial force you have to overcome to get the blade past about 1/3 open.
Funny my first high end spidey was a rare snafu. The quality control on the Resilience is insane. I would say it is **** near flawless. For a 45 dollar knife that's just remarkable.

I always keep it just a little under tight, slightly lose. No play or anything, just a little lose. Enough for the momentum of the blade to open the knife with very little effort. I just recently tried out the Emerson wave zip tie mod.

I love the fact every Spyderco folder has that option. I tried it with the Ulize and it deployed blazing fast, even with the fairly stiff nature of the lockup. I love the wave mod, looks ugly as all **** but it could save your life. I wish Spyderco came out with a separate attachment you can put on to class it up a bit.
Tarrnack S

Post by Tarrnack S »

I keep getting errors. Sorry for the double posts.
Tarrnack S

Post by Tarrnack S »

gbelleh wrote:Welcome. Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I can tell you, all Ulizes are not like that. Mine has excellent fit and finish, with centered blade, smooth action, and none of the excessive scratching your pics show. I hope you get a nice replacement.
Thats really helpful and good to know. I love the model and hope to get a better one.
Tarrnack S

Post by Tarrnack S »

Mako109 wrote:
Tarrnack S wrote:Another thing I noticed was how tight it was on deployment.
In my experience, both Ulize and Police were difficult to flick open when new, but with practice can be easily done w/o added wrist and w/o resorting to loosening the pivot. Main thing is practice, going slowly first so that you can observe at what point the inertia (?) needs to be applied most to get the blade to open all the way; always "follow thru" the flicking motion with your middle finger or thumb; and position your clip for tip-down carry which will give you added purchase on the handle when flicking. Regarding fast deployment in hammer grip...well I haven't been successful. I use my ring finger to open, but cannot flick.
Yeah, you have to perfectly flick it to ring finger open it in the reverse grip.One of the things that made me return the otherwise good Byrd Crossbill. With the Emerson wave zip tie mod it really makes the stiffness a non issue but you need to deploy from the pocket.
v8r

Post by v8r »

This is the reason why I quit purchasing the Japanese made models unless I can inspect them in person. Just my personal experience, yours may vary.
I would send it back. It looks like the grind is probably off center at the tip, could be the angle of the picture as well.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I have my dealer to check for centering.
I like for it to be centered if at all possible.