Manix 2 Lightweight - can't unscrew clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
airstream66

Manix 2 Lightweight - can't unscrew clip

Post by airstream66 »

Just got a new Manix 2 Lightweight and I can't unscrew the clip. I'm using the correct torx size and can turn the screw but the back screw spins with it. Also, the back is not a torx screw but I guess a pin so I can't just use two torx drivers to get a grip. Am I doing something wrong and/or do I have a fake knife (which I doubt)?
SG89

Re: Manix 2 Lightweight - can't unscrew clip

Post by SG89 »

Try heating it up with a hair dryer and see if that loosens the locktite
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
airstream66

Post by airstream66 »

Is it locktited from the factory? This should be a brand new knife. Frustrating.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes. Blue I believe. I'm always changing my clips to tip down
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Wow I didn't know they used loctite, but then again I always carry tip-up. Is it just on the Goldens or certain models?

I could swear I've moved the clip on at least a couple Spydies, but maybe I just broke the loctite and didn't notice it. Blue loctite can be broken but heat really helps that along. There's other ways to do that, too, like using a soldering iron.
airstream66

Post by airstream66 »

Ok, I will try the hair dryer method first. If the back pin were a torx or phillips or flathead it would be simple to get a hold of. I need the clip on the other side if I'm going to use well left-handed.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Another way that works for heat is to place the end in boiling water for a minute or two.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You can touch the head of the screw with a soldering iron to heat just the screw up since you have a polymer knife.

I am surprised you can't get it apart. Usually when I have a pin just spin I can apply enough pressure to it with the pad of my finger/thumb to hold it so the screw comes out. Sometimes you have to press pretty hard to get it but it has worked for me so far.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
airstream66

Post by airstream66 »

Yeah, I've been really pressing hard with my finger/thumb on the back pin. Just spins. I'll give the heat a try today and see what I come up with.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

try pressing it down on a piece of rubber, this can add some grip.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
BladeInspector

Post by BladeInspector »

I got my manix LW in M4 today and have the same problem, cant take off wire clip, the pin just spins, so frustrating! Why ddnt they made it D shaped pin! or torx from both sides! such a stupid design from spyderco!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BladeInspector wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:07 am
I got my manix LW in M4 today and have the same problem, cant take off wire clip, the pin just spins, so frustrating! Why ddnt they made it D shaped pin! or torx from both sides! such a stupid design from spyderco!

It probably is a D pin, it's just rounded out the hole. I've had it happen on Ladybug and Dragonfly pivots. Call customer service and ask them what to do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

airstream66 wrote: Yeah, I've been really pressing hard with my finger/thumb on the back pin. Just spins. I'll give the heat a try today and see what I come up with.
The clip screw on my M4 Manix 2 gave me trouble as well. Luckily it wedged itself in there so I could get the screw out. There was no loctite so heat might not help and if you get it too hot the frn might get soft.
Attachments
20230314_135327.jpg
BladeInspector

Post by BladeInspector »

You are right, it is a D pin, but hole is rounded. Here is my fix: I made a line with deremel tool on the oposite side of the pin, to hold with screwdriver while unscrew with torx from the other side. not the prettiest way, but it did the job.