What did you get for Xmas?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: What did you get for Xmas?

Post by tvenuto »

farnorthdan wrote:How's the detent on yours, mine is a little lite, I can actually inertia open mine but it takes qit a bit. Really like the flick ability of it though.
I can inertially open it by holding it upside down and throwing it. If I hold it right side up, and throw it forward and pull back I can get it just barely past the detent, but that's going as hard as I dare so as not to fling it across the room. So the detent is a little light but not worrisome. I can actually get most non-backlock spydies to open at least part of the way if I really try. One reason I prefer backlocks. But, it's not a big deal to me, just a consequence of the lock style. My Sage 3 is the easiest to inertially open.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

tvenuto wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:How's the detent on yours, mine is a little lite, I can actually inertia open mine but it takes qit a bit. Really like the flick ability of it though.
I can inertially open it by holding it upside down and throwing it. If I hold it right side up, and throw it forward and pull back I can get it just barely past the detent, but that's going as hard as I dare so as not to fling it across the room. So the detent is a little light but not worrisome. I can actually get most non-backlock spydies to open at least part of the way if I really try. One reason I prefer backlocks. But, it's not a big deal to me, just a consequence of the lock style. My Sage 3 is the easiest to inertially open.
Interesring, I've seen numerous mentions of a lite detent on the bowie, I wonder if it's in part due to the size of the blade, it is rather large compared to the handle. It is still one of my top 3 favorites from last year, I just love the look of the brass bolster and CF not to mention the bowie blade shape.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MulliganAl

Post by MulliganAl »

I just got a Techno and it is one amazing little knife. It's build like a tank and a real pleasure to hold. Now I just need to figure out what's next on my list of must have Spyderco blades, the Domino, Dice or Southard perhaps. Except for my PM2 I really like knives around 7.5" or less since they're easy to carry.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

farnorthdan wrote:Interesring, I've seen numerous mentions of a lite detent on the bowie, I wonder if it's in part due to the size of the blade, it is rather large compared to the handle. It is still one of my top 3 favorites from last year, I just love the look of the brass bolster and CF not to mention the bowie blade shape.
Yes I would say that, plus the small arc the blade rotates through. I think the detent is closer to the pivot than average. The lockbar itself is decently springy, so I don't think that's it.
SpeedHoles wrote:^ Good to hear the feedback on the SCHEMPP Bowie. ;)
A little sad you did not decide to just roll with it and use the gift of the Bradley Bowie as a sign, meaning you should start carrying & using a fixed blade more often! :D.
And I would have done, but carrying a concealed fixed blade is illegal where I live. Although a knife like the bowie would be hard to conceal, you never know what someone might consider "concealed." For instance: partially covered by a shirt, or on the opposite side of your body etc. Besides, when living in a dense urban area completely devoid of greenery, carrying a large fixed blade seems a bit absurd.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

tvenuto wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:^ Good to hear the feedback on the SCHEMPP Bowie. ;)
A little sad you did not decide to just roll with it and use the gift of the Bradley Bowie as a sign, meaning you should start carrying & using a fixed blade more often! :D.
And I would have done, but carrying a concealed fixed blade is illegal where I live. Although a knife like the bowie would be hard to conceal, you never know what someone might consider "concealed." For instance: partially covered by a shirt, or on the opposite side of your body etc. Besides, when living in a dense urban area completely devoid of greenery, carrying a large fixed blade seems a bit absurd.

Gotcha. Wasn't aware of your living situation and restrictions where you reside.
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea it kind of stinks. I bought a street beat but sold it due to impossibility of carry. Otherwise my area is actually rather lenient with no length limits at all on folders. I'd hate to be limited to 3" like some here, and given the option I'll definitely take a FB ban.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

I got knife-spoiled for christmas, but no new spydercos (except a baliyo).

-7x higonokami (somehow in a shipping error they sent 7 instead of 1)
-Svord peasant mini
-kiridashi for crafts
-boker urban trapper cocobolo
-EX Smith laguiole folder kit (cheap steel but a fun build anyways)
-browning folder with custom inlay
-leatherman ps4
-a couple lanyards made by my gf
-A folding knife roll to keep my collection in

Then bladeops got their "box of broken knives" back in stock so I ordered that with some christmas money. Basically it is 8 random knives that are broken or damaged in some way for $35. So I am going to have a few more to play with/repair. I think this will bring me to just over 50 knives. Out of about 50 knives only 6 are spyderco, but those 6 make up about 80% of what I actually carry.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

EDC Honeybee wrote: -Svord peasant mini

If you get a chance, please post up some photos and a review of the above two knives, If you can, in the off-topic sub forum here.
I'd appreciate it since I've been lightly considering both of those knives for different reasons. :)
Going back to Caly.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

SpeedHoles wrote:
EDC Honeybee wrote: -Svord peasant mini

If you get a chance, please post up some photos and a review of the above two knives, If you can, in the off-topic sub forum here.
I'd appreciate it since I've been lightly considering both of those knives for different reasons. :)
Will do. I will throw up a post reviewing all of the new knives I got. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: here you go viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Gave myself a Szabohawk and a Domino. Jeff from Cutleryshoppe was kind enough to drive to FedEx himself to post the package, since he couldn't get through their phone system. Surprisingly enough, the package arrived on the 24th, which is the day Santa distributes the gifts in Germany, so everything turned out well. :o Jeff is a really good guy, well done and thank you!

shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Pre-ordered a Sprig.

Better price :D
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Got a new edc that's what! A Gshock Aviator GA-1000, a Fenix PD25, and a genuine surprise, A Spyderco Aqua Salt Black blade in SE! I'm a happy camper!