What did you get for Xmas?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

Re: What did you get for Xmas?

Post by DutchBlades »

Girlfriend got me the Spyderco Beanie :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My wife, god bless her, had remembered me talking about lusting after the Schempp bowie and got me the Bradley bowie by mistake. As soon as I opened the wrapper and saw the larger FB sized box I knew what had happened. Had it not been a fixed blade, I wouldn't have said anything (or noticed a mix-up), but as much as I hated to do it I did have to point it out. Although gorgeous and great feeling in hand, I just don't have much use for another fixed blade and it would largely sit gathering dust, which is a true tragedy for such a design. She'll be returning it for the correct version, which I'm super psyched to get!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I got one of the few gear items I actually need--a Petzl Summit Evo (ice axe).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Christmas was great for me, and I had some pretty incredible Spydie surprises! My sister and my brother-in-law surprised me with a Sage 3

and my Mother and father surprised me with a G10 Native 5!
-Nick :bug-red
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I got a couple stuffers from my GF... Grasshopper and Byrd Rescue.

Santa bought himself a Positron. Gifted a couple Ladybug SS.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Disappointed
SG89

Post by SG89 »

twinboysdad wrote:Disappointed
Dang sorry to hear that
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Disappointed
Dang sorry to hear that
Only disappointed in a cutlery sense. Family all healthy and happy but my dad usually shows up with a Spydie for me, Tuff last year and SS Dfly before that, and no knife this year. But in the "better to give than receive" mantra, he got a PE Aqua Salt!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

No knives for me this year since someone thinks that "you have enough knives that you don't even carry." Oh well.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

i am travvy wrote:No knives for me this year since someone thinks that "you have enough knives that you don't even carry." Oh well.
Ha. One word: shoes. I'd be willing to bet that if most of the male collectors here lined up the knives they hadn't carried in a year next to their wive's/GF's shoes that she hadn't worn in a year, we'd compare favorably. Maybe not Deacon...

But, you do have to pick your battles, and there's nothing wrong with buying your own beauties. Maybe we need to run a GAW only open to those who did not get a Spydie for Christmas?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

tvenuto wrote:
i am travvy wrote:No knives for me this year since someone thinks that "you have enough knives that you don't even carry." Oh well.
Ha. One word: shoes. I'd be willing to bet that if most of the male collectors here lined up the knives they hadn't carried in a year next to their wive's/GF's shoes that she hadn't worn in a year, we'd compare favorably. Maybe not Deacon...

But, you do have to pick your battles, and there's nothing wrong with buying your own beauties. Maybe we need to run a GAW only open to those who did not get a Spydie for Christmas?
That is a great idea! Kind of a nice way to spread the love to those who went Spyder-less on 12/25. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

tvenuto wrote:
That was our exact agreement. She didn't count my knives or flashlights and I didn't count her shoes or purses. I guess you would call it "co-enablers" haha.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

SpyderNut wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

That is a great idea! Kind of a nice way to spread the love to those who went Spyder-less on 12/25. ;)
How about a GoFundMe or something? I don't personally want to give up any of my Spydies, but I'd kick into a fund no problem!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

No new spydies, but I bought two boxes of lychees... :D

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Should arrive tomorrow, better late than not at all!

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Schempp bowie arrived today and sweet jeebus this thing is AMAZING. Ridiculously smooth, locks up with barely a sound, unlocks with no resistance (from the lock face), has perfect (for me) full lockbar engagement, dead on centering, and the list goes on. Not the sharpest knife from the factory, but it's going to get sharpened anyway so I've never been a stickler about out-of-box sharpness.

I can see how people think the liners are "sharp" instead of "crisp" but I don't think I'll actually find them uncomfortable or dangerous in use, so it doesn't bother me. I love the crisp hole! I know that's something of a debated "feature" but for me the crisper the better. The radius on the Slysz bowie hole made me sad. If I middle finger flick the blade out, my hand is in the perfect position for the forward grip, which is nice.

Speaking of grip, in general I'd say it's a bit less natural than some other spydies. Definitely unconventional and takes some getting used to, but I'll figure it out soon enough since I'll be fondling it for the rest of the day. I think the forward grip works best for me but I am a little concerned about my finger sliding forward. I think the key is to pull back on the guard like a trigger, instead of relying on the ricasso to act more like a choil. I'm normally a fan of jimping, but it really doesn't belong on this knife anywhere. This one definitely falls on the gentleman's/functional art side of things, and although I'll be using it, it won't be for anything major. That's why we give ourselves knife options, right?

Overall, a phenomenal piece from Schempp, and to be honest I think this is his best work since the Kriss, which definitely shares some DNA with the Bowie.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Good to hear the feedback on the SCHEMPP Bowie. ;)
A little sad you did not decide to just roll with it and use the gift of the Bradley Bowie as a sign, meaning you should start carrying & using a fixed blade more often! :D

I didn't actually get any knives or Spyderco paraphernalia... but I did get a cool watch! :)
I also ended up ordering myself a Mule 21 and 2015 Forum Native a few days after Christmas, and they have yet to arrive, so the excitement is still in the air a bit.
Going back to Caly.
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

From another forums thread entitled "Merry Christmas to Yourself"...
A 440C made in Golden used Meerkat
IMG_3141.JPG
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

tvenuto wrote:The Schempp bowie arrived today and sweet jeebus this thing is AMAZING. Ridiculously smooth, locks up with barely a sound, unlocks with no resistance (from the lock face), has perfect (for me) full lockbar engagement, dead on centering, and the list goes on. Not the sharpest knife from the factory, but it's going to get sharpened anyway so I've never been a stickler about out-of-box sharpness.

I can see how people think the liners are "sharp" instead of "crisp" but I don't think I'll actually find them uncomfortable or dangerous in use, so it doesn't bother me. I love the crisp hole! I know that's something of a debated "feature" but for me the crisper the better. The radius on the Slysz bowie hole made me sad. If I middle finger flick the blade out, my hand is in the perfect position for the forward grip, which is nice.

Speaking of grip, in general I'd say it's a bit less natural than some other spydies. Definitely unconventional and takes some getting used to, but I'll figure it out soon enough since I'll be fondling it for the rest of the day. I think the forward grip works best for me but I am a little concerned about my finger sliding forward. I think the key is to pull back on the guard like a trigger, instead of relying on the ricasso to act more like a choil. I'm normally a fan of jimping, but it really doesn't belong on this knife anywhere. This one definitely falls on the gentleman's/functional art side of things, and although I'll be using it, it won't be for anything major. That's why we give ourselves knife options, right?

Overall, a phenomenal piece from Schempp, and to be honest I think this is his best work since the Kriss, which definitely shares some DNA with the Bowie.
How's the detent on yours, mine is a little lite, I can actually inertia open mine but it takes qit a bit. Really like the flick ability of it though.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."